Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #1

Jayco Sound System Questions

Hello,
My wife and I just bought a 2004 31 BHS. The trailer has speakers mounted in the ceiling and the wiring all runs to a central location near the TV area but there is no receiver or stereo there. I'm wondering what other people have hooked up to these speakers.

I've seen trailers and boats that mounted car stereos into the wall. I'm pretty handy so that wouldn't be difficult. I'd like to have a radio with the ability to plug my iPod into it and maybe hook the TV up as well so I can put the game on and sit on the deck listening but be able to watch when something cool happens. I'm also considering adding some additional speakers out on the deck (maybe wireless).

So my questions are what have you hooked up to your speakers? Did you run into any complications? Is there anything I should be aware of before getting into this job? Pics of Awesome setups are greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Capn Mal
CapnMal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:23 AM   #2

I have a receiver, tv, surround sound setup that mine came with. If you email Jayco with your VIN and the request for sound, AV, and wiring diagrams, they will send you the diagrams of what you have. Helps alot and they you can modify like you want.

I have all of these diagrams for my trailer.

Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log
dalenoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #3

Hi and welcome to the forum. I have a 31 BHDS and the pic show the receiver that came with it. Once you have yours operational, you can enjoy nice surround sound.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vp1388251_14_large.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	5838
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam
Prodigy P2
Tanker42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #4

Thanks Dalenoel. I emailed Jayco immediately. Having the wiring diagram would be very helpful.

Tanker 42, yea I really look forward to having it all set up. Thanks for the pic. Now I know what I'm looking for if I want to go stock.

CapnMal
Old 12-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #5

My 2012 JayFlight came with a Jensen AWM9xx....can't be certain of the exact model.

www.jensenrvdirect.com.

Admittedly it isn't the best, however it does run on 12volt. Support AM, FM, CD, MP3/some iPod Models & DVD w/ HDMI outputs to the TV. I say some iPod because per the manual it only supports some of the older generation apple devices. My iPhone 4GS & iPod 2 is capable of interfacing via the 3.5mm headphone jack on the front of the unit. Note, interfacing with the 3.5mm connector will allow music to be head through the unit, but cant be controlled b the unit nor charge you iDevice.

The unit also has the ability to control 3 speaker channels indepedantly, mine is Front/Rear/Outside. We like that so if a baby is napping and want outside music we can.

Sounds like you have speakers already. I am not an audiophile, but several on the forum who have a more refined ear don't like the stock speakers we have and have upgraded to Polk DB651 with good results.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #6

Excellent Information Clubhouse.

You raise a GREAT point about the 3 channels. We have a little one and it would be a definite plus to be able to play music on the deck but not inside.

I haven't tested the stock speakers yet but at some point I may upgrade.

Thanks Again
Capn Mal
Old 12-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #7

You should be able to add any car radio or RV entertainment system (12V) with no issues, especially if the speakers are already installed.

We installed a car radio in one of my parent’s old rigs; it was really easy to do. On their old rig we did have to add a filter (??) on the input power. As I recall until we did that we had a fair amount of humming sound caused by the transformer in the converter when hooked up to shore power.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:01 PM   #8

Are you interested in just adding a receiver to your current set-up or do you intend to replace/upgrade the speakers, too?

If you just want to add a receiver, it is important that you match the impedance (ie, resistance) of the speakers to the impedance the receiver is designed to drive (note: the receiver doesn't have an output impedance; it is the speaker that has the impedance. The impedance you may see listed for a receiver refers to the optimum speaker impedance that it is designed to drive). The impedance value is reported in ohms.

Generally a lower impedance speaker will draw more current (because there’s less resistance) and you could blow the receiver’s output transistors (due to the increased heat) if you crank up the volume (eg, speaker rated at 4 ohms and receiver rated at 8 ohms). Again, you are looking to match the impedance of the speakers to the rated impedance of the receiver.

I don’t know what the speaker specs are for your TT. In my 2006 Jayco Eagle 264 BHS, I have speakers that are rated at 6 ohms and have a max power rating of 90 watts (Magnadyne LS3CMW-JCO 3” ceiling mounted speakers). The OEM Memorex 5.1 receiver died last year. After months of searching, I decided to replace it with a Yamaha BRX-610 receiver for the following reasons (which I picked-up at about 30% off list price since it was a return item):

(1) it is a 5.1 channel receiver;
(2) max output is 80 watts/channel rated at 6 ohms (which matches up with my OEM speakers);
(3) has a built-in bluray player, so one less piece of equipment I need to account for;
(4) has a height of only 3-1/8” which can be install in my entertainment center (a regular receiver would not fit in the narrow slot as designed by Jayco);
(5) has FM radio (but not AM (?)) and can be connected to the Jayco antenna;
(6) is 1080p-compatible HDMI (I purchased a Westinghouse 40” LED with 1080p on sale at Best Buy); and finally,
(7) has a USB connection for iPod/iPhone.

It’s also supposed to support Netflix over the Internet, but I haven’t tried that feature because I really don’t intend to watch much TV when camping (some users/reviewers have indicated that the receiver doesn’t work too well with Netflix).

In any event, I hope this helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TV-stereo cabinet.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	5913
WIBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBadger View Post
It’s also supposed to support Netflix over the Internet, but I haven’t tried that feature because I really don’t intend to watch much TV when camping (some users/reviewers have indicated that the receiver doesn’t work too well with Netflix).

In any event, I hope this helps.
The blu-ray player that I have attached to my system will work with Netflix. If you have a good Internet connection and set Netflix to play at the lowest resolution it does work quite well. If your Internet connection is not very good it doesn't work as well. YMMV
Old 03-28-2021, 06:12 PM   #10

I am trying to find a replacement for this exact DVD player in my 2005 Jayco 31bhds. All I know so far is that it came with a Jensen. I don’t know what model or anything else, but trying to find the replacement to wire it back in or the best replacement I can get for it to wire it in.
tcnixon is offline   Reply With Quote