Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2018, 08:54 PM   #1

Jayco TT problems

Hi everyone. We bought a new 314BHDS in Dec 2017... I was very skeptical of the RV industry given the crazy issues I've read on the complaints forums of ALL RVs.

So after nearly 2 years, with 2x2500 mile trips amongst other 4+ hours trips and about 45 nights in total... I am quite surprised at the quality of the rig. I was really prepared to experience issues.

Despite some really rough roads at times, the only issues we had was the valance fall off in the rear, the vanity mirror fall off in the bathroom, and a leak in the kitchen faucet. The vanity mirror was a joke - super heavy but held on by 3 screws. But the main items of concern - AC, heater, water heater, shower, slides, awning have worked without problems.

Am I just lucky or is everyone wiling to stand by the quality of Jaycos?

klinner28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:22 PM   #2

Getting along great with our 2017 Jay Feather 23rlsw. 2 years 75 plus nights lots of miles and absolutely no problems at all.

Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:21 AM   #3

I’m standing by the quality of my rig also. Have there been a few problems? Of course, but nothing I can’t live with or easily fix. I remember high school and we all complained about the cafeteria food - yet it was better than most of us got at home.

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:26 AM   #4

I've never even considered comparing food prepared by my mom and school cafeteria food.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:28 AM   #5

We've had ours for 7 years now and take around six trips a year, each trip anywhere from two to five nights. We really haven't had any issues inside of the tires which are to be expected. Our mattress stinks too, but we knew that when we bought it!
reneegavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:55 AM   #6
Site Team

We too have been very happy with our rolling condo. This is our 3rd fifth wheel and I have had nothing that I can say was either not handled properly or easy enough that I could correct it myself. All of our campers have been heavily used, well over 100 night spent in it per year.

There are problems in the industry, no disagreement there, but the ones having problems are the most vocal and that's a good thing.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:05 AM   #7

Like most mass-manufactured products, there will be "lemons" - it's almost unavoidable. The only way to prevent any defects at all, would be to make the manufacturing, inspection and quality control processes so costly that nobody could afford to buy the finished, very expensive, product.

So the RV industry has adopted the same model as the auto industry, consumer electronics, domestic appliances and many more.

That model says that you turn them out as quickly as you can, within a pre-determined manufacturing cost. Then you sell them at a "what the market will bear" price, to secure your revenue stream. Then you budget for an "acceptable" level of warranty claims, post-delivery reworks and repairs, to fix the problems that got through the process. It's regarded as part of the cost of doing business.

A GOOD manufacturer will have a process of continuous improvement, looking for ways to reduce defects in production.

A BAD manufacturer will concentrate on ways to cut corners and spend less in production.

The problem with this model is that it's all concerned with the Big Picture... How many thousand units did we ship? Of those thousand units, how many did we have to fix? Ok, that's an acceptable number of errors.

However.. to the consumer who bought the unit that needed fixing, it's not an "acceptable percentage".. It's the only one you've got, and it doesn't work, or the wheels fell off., so it's a 100% failure rate. This is where the manufacture can score, or lose, on followup and customer service.

I've always felt that the best measure of a company is how they respond when you call them up to complain. In my experience, Jayco fall down badly on this.... but others may disagree.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinner28 View Post
Hi everyone. We bought a new 314BHDS in Dec 2017... I was very skeptical of the RV industry given the crazy issues I've read on the complaints forums of ALL RVs.

So after nearly 2 years, with 2x2500 mile trips amongst other 4+ hours trips and about 45 nights in total... I am quite surprised at the quality of the rig. I was really prepared to experience issues.

Despite some really rough roads at times, the only issues we had was the valance fall off in the rear, the vanity mirror fall off in the bathroom, and a leak in the kitchen faucet. The vanity mirror was a joke - super heavy but held on by 3 screws. But the main items of concern - AC, heater, water heater, shower, slides, awning have worked without problems.

Am I just lucky or is everyone wiling to stand by the quality of Jaycos?
Welcome to the forum.

IMO, you are in the 'silent majority', but aren't really being silent and that's a good thing!

Many (most?) of us on this site are pleased with their Jayco and believe they have been offering the 'best bang for the buck' for many years.

RV sites like this are a magnet for anyone displeased with their unit and will post their displeasure with Jayco etc.; some post over and over and over again. And those complaints, some that are not manufacturer's fault, linger long after the problem(s) have been resolved. IMO, that's just what some of the die-hard complainers want to have happen.

So thank you for speaking up. I dare say that if the majority of owners would post here about their Jayco, the site would be MUCH bigger and the percentage of gripes would dwindle significantly.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:39 PM   #9

I dearly love my 87 year old mum but she always was and still is a terrible cook. School food was much better as you could actually eat it. Thank the stars that my wife was an excellent cook.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:12 PM   #10

When I’m spending over 34 grand of my hard earned cash on a new rig and it’s full of problems you can bet your bottom I’ll be complaining. I’ve had my share of issues with my brand new unit but we just love it and take solace in the fact that all problems are fixable.