Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2018, 08:54 PM   #1

Jayco TT problems

Hi everyone. We bought a new 314BHDS in Dec 2017... I was very skeptical of the RV industry given the crazy issues I've read on the complaints forums of ALL RVs.

So after nearly 2 years, with 2x2500 mile trips amongst other 4+ hours trips and about 45 nights in total... I am quite surprised at the quality of the rig. I was really prepared to experience issues.

Despite some really rough roads at times, the only issues we had was the valance fall off in the rear, the vanity mirror fall off in the bathroom, and a leak in the kitchen faucet. The vanity mirror was a joke - super heavy but held on by 3 screws. But the main items of concern - AC, heater, water heater, shower, slides, awning have worked without problems.

Am I just lucky or is everyone wiling to stand by the quality of Jaycos?
klinner28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:22 PM   #2

Getting along great with our 2017 Jay Feather 23rlsw. 2 years 75 plus nights lots of miles and absolutely no problems at all.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:21 AM   #3

I’m standing by the quality of my rig also. Have there been a few problems? Of course, but nothing I can’t live with or easily fix. I remember high school and we all complained about the cafeteria food - yet it was better than most of us got at home.

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:26 AM   #4

I've never even considered comparing food prepared by my mom and school cafeteria food.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:28 AM   #5

We've had ours for 7 years now and take around six trips a year, each trip anywhere from two to five nights. We really haven't had any issues inside of the tires which are to be expected. Our mattress stinks too, but we knew that when we bought it!
reneegavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:55 AM   #6
Site Team

We too have been very happy with our rolling condo. This is our 3rd fifth wheel and I have had nothing that I can say was either not handled properly or easy enough that I could correct it myself. All of our campers have been heavily used, well over 100 night spent in it per year.

There are problems in the industry, no disagreement there, but the ones having problems are the most vocal and that's a good thing.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:05 AM   #7

Like most mass-manufactured products, there will be "lemons" - it's almost unavoidable. The only way to prevent any defects at all, would be to make the manufacturing, inspection and quality control processes so costly that nobody could afford to buy the finished, very expensive, product.

So the RV industry has adopted the same model as the auto industry, consumer electronics, domestic appliances and many more.

That model says that you turn them out as quickly as you can, within a pre-determined manufacturing cost. Then you sell them at a "what the market will bear" price, to secure your revenue stream. Then you budget for an "acceptable" level of warranty claims, post-delivery reworks and repairs, to fix the problems that got through the process. It's regarded as part of the cost of doing business.

A GOOD manufacturer will have a process of continuous improvement, looking for ways to reduce defects in production.

A BAD manufacturer will concentrate on ways to cut corners and spend less in production.

The problem with this model is that it's all concerned with the Big Picture... How many thousand units did we ship? Of those thousand units, how many did we have to fix? Ok, that's an acceptable number of errors.

However.. to the consumer who bought the unit that needed fixing, it's not an "acceptable percentage".. It's the only one you've got, and it doesn't work, or the wheels fell off., so it's a 100% failure rate. This is where the manufacture can score, or lose, on followup and customer service.

I've always felt that the best measure of a company is how they respond when you call them up to complain. In my experience, Jayco fall down badly on this.... but others may disagree.

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinner28 View Post
Hi everyone. We bought a new 314BHDS in Dec 2017... I was very skeptical of the RV industry given the crazy issues I've read on the complaints forums of ALL RVs.

So after nearly 2 years, with 2x2500 mile trips amongst other 4+ hours trips and about 45 nights in total... I am quite surprised at the quality of the rig. I was really prepared to experience issues.

Despite some really rough roads at times, the only issues we had was the valance fall off in the rear, the vanity mirror fall off in the bathroom, and a leak in the kitchen faucet. The vanity mirror was a joke - super heavy but held on by 3 screws. But the main items of concern - AC, heater, water heater, shower, slides, awning have worked without problems.

Am I just lucky or is everyone wiling to stand by the quality of Jaycos?
Welcome to the forum.

IMO, you are in the 'silent majority', but aren't really being silent and that's a good thing!

Many (most?) of us on this site are pleased with their Jayco and believe they have been offering the 'best bang for the buck' for many years.

RV sites like this are a magnet for anyone displeased with their unit and will post their displeasure with Jayco etc.; some post over and over and over again. And those complaints, some that are not manufacturer's fault, linger long after the problem(s) have been resolved. IMO, that's just what some of the die-hard complainers want to have happen.

So thank you for speaking up. I dare say that if the majority of owners would post here about their Jayco, the site would be MUCH bigger and the percentage of gripes would dwindle significantly.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:39 PM   #9

I dearly love my 87 year old mum but she always was and still is a terrible cook. School food was much better as you could actually eat it. Thank the stars that my wife was an excellent cook.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:12 PM   #10

When I’m spending over 34 grand of my hard earned cash on a new rig and it’s full of problems you can bet your bottom I’ll be complaining. I’ve had my share of issues with my brand new unit but we just love it and take solace in the fact that all problems are fixable.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRJuliian View Post

I've always felt that the best measure of a company is how they respond when you call them up to complain. In my experience, Jayco fall down badly on this.... but others may disagree.
I agree with a lot of what you’ve said and ultimately Jayco may have fallen short on how things are handled when a failure occurs. But I thing a huge amount of the onus regarding the perception of quality or lack of it falls on the dealers.

So many of the issues I hear about are issues that should have been discovered and resolved before the unit was delivered to the customer. As far as handling issues when they occur, one of the major complaints I hear related to service have to do with the delays just to get a unit into the dealership to be looked at and diagnosed.

With respect to RVs I thing the dealership plays a major role regarding the perception of quality. The complaints I hear are as much an indictment of RV dealerships as they are with respect to the manufacturers.
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
I agree with a lot of what you’ve said and ultimately Jayco may have fallen short on how things are handled when a failure occurs. But I thing a huge amount of the onus regarding the perception of quality or lack of it falls on the dealers.

So many of the issues I hear about are issues that should have been discovered and resolved before the unit was delivered to the customer. As far as handling issues when they occur, one of the major complaints I hear related to service have to do with the delays just to get a unit into the dealership to be looked at and diagnosed.

With respect to RVs I thing the dealership plays a major role regarding the perception of quality. The complaints I hear are as much an indictment of RV dealerships as they are with respect to the manufacturers.
Unfortunately my dealer tells me they “don’t wash roofs before they go out”. They actually let us leave the lot with a roof that looks 30 years old. A friend who used to work at this dealership said they definitely scrubbed roofs before. And he said they also touched up rust spots and ours came with rust all over the frame and hitch. The trailer should be shining like a new penny he tells me.
Menchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:13 AM   #13

I just got back from an 8800 mile trip. I've been pretty pleased with my 23RB so far. My wife and I certainly like the floor plan, and the fact it doesn't need a slide to provide the room we wanted.

However, I have had problems with the water fittings in the bathroom sink. The fitting that goes to the outside shower which is located under the bathroom sink leaked almost from day one. I fixed that one by replacing the cone washer. Original one had been crushed during initial assembly.

My trailer is just over a year old now, but it developed a severe leak high up at the faucet level during our trip. Fortunately we found an authorized Jayco dealer in Idaho Falls, ID. I'm happy to say Bish's RV Supercenter was able to fit us in their repair schedule. A new faucet and washers later, and we're all good. Bish's did a great job helping us a long way from home.

On the way home, we were near the Jayco factory in Middlebury, IN. My wife insisted we drop by and ask them to fix two other items. These items were not mission critical, but she felt they could fix them and we'd not have to go to the dealer when we got home.

We pulled in to the Customer Service Building lot at 5:30 after most folks had gone home. A manager type was still there and he said they might be able to fix the problems (2 bad LED lights in the main cabin, and the chrome metal facing plate that goes around our microwave.)

No promises were given since we were not on the schedule for repairs. He let us park and plug in at the building. They have two or three spots for trailers to park over night while waiting for repairs.

We wake up the next morning, and there was a tech with clipboard in hand waiting to check up out. In short order, they had the two LED lights replaced but we had to wait a short while so they could go over to the regular production building to get a replacement ring for the micro. Very pleased with Jayco's response. I do understand if I had had a major problem like bad wiring from one end to another or a bad slide, the repairs wouldn't have happened, and I would have had to go through my dealer to schedule a visit to the factory. But since it was quick easy repairs they did it and sent me on my way.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRJuliian View Post
Like most mass-manufactured products, there will be "lemons" - it's almost unavoidable. The only way to prevent any defects at all, would be to make the manufacturing, inspection and quality control processes so costly that nobody could afford to buy the finished, very expensive, product.

So the RV industry has adopted the same model as the auto industry, consumer electronics, domestic appliances and many more.

That model says that you turn them out as quickly as you can, within a pre-determined manufacturing cost. Then you sell them at a "what the market will bear" price, to secure your revenue stream. Then you budget for an "acceptable" level of warranty claims, post-delivery reworks and repairs, to fix the problems that got through the process. It's regarded as part of the cost of doing business.

A GOOD manufacturer will have a process of continuous improvement, looking for ways to reduce defects in production.

A BAD manufacturer will concentrate on ways to cut corners and spend less in production.

The problem with this model is that it's all concerned with the Big Picture... How many thousand units did we ship? Of those thousand units, how many did we have to fix? Ok, that's an acceptable number of errors.

However.. to the consumer who bought the unit that needed fixing, it's not an "acceptable percentage".. It's the only one you've got, and it doesn't work, or the wheels fell off., so it's a 100% failure rate. This is where the manufacture can score, or lose, on followup and customer service.

This is a very well thought-out post. To add from our experience (2016 Alante 26), the biggest failure of the industry, considering all the limitations you lay out above, and including Jayco, is twofold:
  1. They do not have any programs to actively train service techs around the country, and there is serious shortage right now;
  2. They do not monitor the quality of dealer prep on delivery, and dealer service department standards in general (the factories seem grateful to have someone to push their product, rather than dealers feeling grateful in being allowed to carry it).
Our selling dealer's service department was incredibly incompetent. I could tell stories ya'll wouldn't believe before I gave up on them. But I'll tell this one: I recall walking past a salesman's office on the way out the door once, where a couple was happily signing papers on their brand new RV. I stuck my head in the door, and said "Run!!!" Salesman was not amused . . .
Michael Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:22 PM   #15

Still complaining still waiting on my final warranty list submitted August 2017. 2 years 11 months of warranty work.Will be finished this week, will see!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:27 PM   #16

I don not think Jayco gives a crap as long as folks are waiting months for there camper to be delivered. Secondly a highly unregulated industry. Buyer be ware!
Old 08-15-2018, 12:29 PM   #17

We've been pleased with the quality and service we have had with our 2017 16XRB. Not perfect, but plenty doable, both quality and warranty work. And DIY prn. The trailer itself has 17,700+ miles and many nights at many camps and a few parking lots. It pulls and rides like a dream and we have had no problems with it on the road.

Well, not since finding out that cabinets do not stay closed during travel. Bungee cords where workable and small eye screws have solved the problem very well. A small eye screw in the cabinet and another in the door, aligned one above the other, with a piece of T-shaped 14AWG through them is a simple sure fix. I use red wire for visibility and keep a few spares in my tool box.

If I was in the market for a new TT I would certainly check out Jayco and use it as a standard. There are worthy competitors whose work I would surely investigate as well.

Bottom line: we love our little hybrid. In fact, in our travels and in visits to RV dealers we have never found a trailer we would rather have. In that way our Jayco trailer is perfect - for us.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollander Mutthaulers View Post
We've been pleased with the quality and service we have had with our 2017 16XRB. Not perfect, but plenty doable, both quality and warranty work. And DIY prn. The trailer itself has 17,700+ miles and many nights at many camps and a few parking lots. It pulls and rides like a dream and we have had no problems with it on the road.

Well, not since finding out that cabinets do not stay closed during travel. Bungee cords where workable and small eye screws have solved the problem very well. A small eye screw in the cabinet and another in the door, aligned one above the other, with a piece of T-shaped 14AWG through them is a simple sure fix. I use red wire for visibility and keep a few spares in my tool box.

If I was in the market for a new TT I would certainly check out Jayco and use it as a standard. There are worthy competitors whose work I would surely investigate as well.

Bottom line: we love our little hybrid. In fact, in our travels and in visits to RV dealers we have never found a trailer we would rather have. In that way our Jayco trailer is perfect - for us.
That is about the only problem we have not had with our 06 Eagle 321 RSTS,pic attached!Cabinets never open while traveling. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Latch cabinet.jpg  
Old 08-15-2018, 12:56 PM   #19

Thumbs up 2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5

We have only been RVing for 2 months but we have put about 2600 miles on our truck and the FW has been in use constantly by two adults, two dogs and a cat. We have gone over some of the worst roads in New Mexico, Colorado, Utah and Nevada. The only issue we have had is some trim falling down which we expected and fixed ourselves, the sink drain on one side leaking due to a putty failure, and part of the undercarriage covering hanging down, due probably to the rough travel. All fixed by us. We also have an issue with tiny slivers of wood coming out of the ac vent above the bunk, quality control must not have checked cleaning of the vents. All of these things are small issues that we handled ourselves.

When we first got the FW we could not figure out where the water tank was and if it had a water filter on it. I contacted Jayco who sent my email to the engineers and they sent me the schematics for plumbing and electrical. The water tank is under the kitchen sink, in the floor. They were polite and responded quickly.

All in all, we are very pleased with our FW and customer support.
cfarley351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menchie View Post
Unfortunately my dealer tells me they “don’t wash roofs before they go out”. They actually let us leave the lot with a roof that looks 30 years old. A friend who used to work at this dealership said they definitely scrubbed roofs before. And he said they also touched up rust spots and ours came with rust all over the frame and hitch. The trailer should be shining like a new penny he tells me.
The "we don't wash roof" line sounds like a lot of horse manure. Maybe they get away with it because a lot of new buyers don't realize how important the integrity of the roof. But I started climbing and was told I couldn't climb on the roof without a harness I kept climbing, at least high enough to view the whole roof and get some idea of the condition of the roof surfaces.

It does seem some sales people have lost any sense of empathy for the people laying thousands of dollars (each dollar representing some portion of the limited time they have on this Earth) and what it's like to be the buyer, no sense of the Golden Rule.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote