Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-02-2021, 10:49 AM   #1
SJH

Jayco White Hawk Axle Issue

Hi, I just moved from a Starcraft 26 to a 2021 Jayco White Hawk 32BH so I’m new to this forum.
Since I have been RVing for over 10 years I should have looked closer at the axle ratings before I purchased this RV, but I was surprised to see they put 4,400 pound axles under this 9,995 GVWR RV. Assuming a 12% tongue weight, that puts the load on these axles at 8,796 pounds. That’s cutting it pretty close. Does anyone know how Jayco can justify putting these relatively light axles on this RV?
Full disclosure, after 1,500 miles, I did have a rear axle failure while on an extended trip. I stopped for fuel and during my routine walk around I noticed both tires on the rear axle showed extreme inside tire wear. I found a local Jayco dealer and their inspection revealed flattened leaf springs, a missing U-bolt nut, U-bolts that were not vertical but tilted forward, and the axle tube appears to have been crimped. They recommend replacing both axles, but we are still waiting for approval from Jayco. They also said it could take a month to get the axles.
So, my second question is: has anyone else experienced a similar failure on a 32BH or other large Jayco travel trailers?
I look forward to your comments,
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
0625211246a.jpg   0625211415_HDR.jpg   0625211415d_HDR.jpg  
SJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:01 AM   #2

You'd be wise to cover the added cost of going to 5200# axles and springs.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:46 AM   #3
SJH

That's a great idea because I will never trust these 4,400 pound axles again.
Steve
SJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 12:32 PM   #4

2019 Jayco Jay Feather 27BH. I had rear axle replaced in March. Dexter said they replaced it out of goodwill, not because the axle proved to be bent like the dealer said. Dexter also said I'd have to pay shipping the axle back to them IF I wanted them to pay for two ruined tires, likely caused by the issue.

I'm fairly certain these are 3500# axles. If I have further trouble, yes, I'll try to budget for heavier axles.

Larry
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote