Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #1

Exclamation JayFeather LTG Floor flexing/sagging repair help needed!

We own a 27' 2008 JayFeather LTG, Model 25F. We bought it used, in excellent condition in 2010. We are the second owners so everything would be out of warranty. We are full-timers. A couple of months ago we noticed a few soft spots of our floor, one next to the dinette, and one in front of the sink in the kitchen area. Mostly these flexing spots are in the heavy-traffic areas of our TT. We have verified that it's not a water damage problem. It's a problem getting increasingly worse. The floor flexing badly when we walk on it now.
We have surmized that it's a floor structural problem with Jayco using lightweight materials for the floor of 1/8"luana plywood on the top, 1/1/4" styrofoam in the middle, and again 1/8" luana plywood on the bottom. We DIY are trying to figure out the best way to fix these "soft" spots before the linoleum in our TT cracks. So far it hasn't, but it will be only a matter of time before it does if we don't fix this. We don't want to have to replace the linoleum at this point since it's in excellent shape.
We want to repair this problem from the bottom of the trailer, removing the underbelly coroplast, then inserting aluminum angle supports to shore up the areas that are affected by this flexing/sagging.
I am asking for any advice or suggestions to fixing this problem or if any forum members have had any experience with fixing this problem. Or, if Jayco was of any help in suggesting a fix to this problem to forum members. It would seem like Jayco would have a repair solution since it is a structural design problem inherent in their product.
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #2

Have not had this type of problem, but I agree that you should contact Jayco and ask for suggestions on how to fix. The other thing is that if it were me, I would consider using something like 3/4'" X 3/4" box aluminum tubing for your DIY repair supports instead of angle. It is much stronger with only slight weight increase, and would be better in high traffic areas, IMHO. Repairing from the underside is also a good idea, assuming you can access all affected areas.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #3
Site Team

Here is an older thread on this issue you may find helpful.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...-spot-in-floor
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #4

Thanks so much for the help and advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie23 View Post
Have not had this type of problem, but I agree that you should contact Jayco and ask for suggestions on how to fix. The other thing is that if it were me, I would consider using something like 3/4'" X 3/4" box aluminum tubing for your DIY repair supports instead of angle. It is much stronger with only slight weight increase, and would be better in high traffic areas, IMHO. Repairing from the underside is also a good idea, assuming you can access all affected areas.
Thanks so much for the encouragement and suggestions. Your idea of using box instead of angle is right on. Will do. Thanks, again!
Old 12-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Here is an older thread on this issue you may find helpful.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...-spot-in-floor
Thanks for the link...any info helps!
Old 03-14-2014, 12:26 PM   #6

Super dissapointed

Hello all,
I am new to this forum, I own a Jayfeather 29N (2006) of which I purchased it new in April of 2007. It was a left over model. I only use my camper no more than 2 times a year. In April of 2008 my Wife noticed while following me that water was coming out of the under belly of the camper. So we call Jayco, they gave of the local service center for us to take it too. To our surprise after keeping it for two weeks the service center could not find any thing wrong...(Imagine that). Well just this last summer we pulled it to our property In Tenn for our Summer vacation we noticed a soft spot in the rear of the camper. So after vacation and finally getting the camper back home I started to look into the problem it revealed the moisture was indeed working it's way in from the bottom up. Contacted Jayco about how I did everything right by taking the camper to a certified service center.

Well guess what Jayco said it's out of warranty. It is too old. Imagine that. This is the biggest piece of C--p camper that I have owned. I am now thinking about seeking legal advice on suing Jayco. Do your self a big favor and don't buy a Jayco.....
Attached Thumbnails
#1.jpg   #5.jpg  
Permitter is offline   Reply With Quote