Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2016, 01:29 PM   #1

Jayflight 23mb newby

HELLO:
Just bought a 23mb goin out for the first time on 7-4 any advise on our first time out goin with Koa full hookups. Can we store foid in our fridge on the way out? Should I fill up fresh water at home? Treat black tank at home? Thanks in advance 😀
Scampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:49 PM   #2

Are you using the trailer enroute?.. if not
you will be using full hookups so anything in the blackwater tank will exit when hooked up.
Yes you can store cold food in your fridge. Precool it. Add ice. I use soda bottles filled with water and then frozen before starting to keep food cold. I dislike leaking melting bags of ice.

We did this for forty four days on the road and it worked fine. Alternatively you can leave the fridge on propane unless there are restrictions on your route.

We seldom traveled with fresh water tanks full. You have to consider the quality of the water where you are going and if any of your travelers are sensitive to change of water.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:59 PM   #3

Hello to you. Congratulations on the trailer.

You probably meant 'food' and the answer is Yes. Just cool down both the fridge and the food before putting food in the trailer.

Fresh water: Some fill at the campground, others fill before they head out. Water is heavy so it can make towing easier without the weight. For some, the position of the water tanks (in front or behind the axle) can make a difference in problems with sway. Either way, if you haven't already, you should sanitize your fresh water system before you use it.

Black tank: It is a good habit to have some water in the bottom of the tank. It helps prevent buildup on the bottom of the tank and the water sloshing around helps clean the tank, too. As far as chemicals in the black tank, some use them and some do not.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:28 PM   #4

Welcome Scampers. Congrats on the new 23MB! We have the same floorplan and love it. We pre-cool the fridge with electric the night before we leave. Then when leaving, switch the fridge over to gas. Some people don't like to drive with the gas on, so that is something to consider. We also have some water in the fresh tank, enough to use the facilities while on the road. Much easier than finding a decent restroom at times. For the black tank, we usually throw in a pod meant for the tank. Today I purchased some water softener to add as well to make it slippery in there. Both of those are optional, some people don't put anything in the black tank. But, be sure to clean the black tank thoroughly before leaving the full hook up site, that way you'll be set for the next trip.
Hope this helps. Have fun and happy camping!
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:43 PM   #5

What sort of pod meant for the BW tank?
How much water softener to add?

And for how big a tank.. Ours is just 9 gal so I can envision anything sticky a problem.. For all I know its down there already.

We found that rest areas out West are rare and, when you find one, come with no facilities so yep the trailer bath is handyy

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:49 PM   #6

Kim, we have the larger black tank and I usually add only 1 pod since we don't have a problem with odors. I'll have to read the directions, maybe I need to add more to help break down the solids. We use some similar to these Bio-Pak Natural Holding Tank Deodorizer and Waste Digester.
For the water softener, I'll have to experiment to see what ratio works (or doesn't). I read about the water softener here on the forum. I bought the Calgon brand like this from Walmart for less than $5.00, whereas Amazon is way out of line on price. I hope this info helps!
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote