Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #1

Jayflight 26 RLS: Real life weights

My wife and I will soon become full timers! We are considering a 26 RLS because we love: the floor plan, the aluminum siding- (delam anxiety), 2 yr warranty and the length (could actually be shorter). My concern is the weight and thus 1/2 ton tow-ability. The Jayco website lists the dry weight of the 26RLS at 6000lbs and a Tongue Weight of 820 lbs. I would like to tow it with a new Tundra 1/2 ton pickup that has roughly a 1300-1400 lb payload capacity and close to 10,000 lb tow capacity. I don't plan on towing with much in the tanks. I would like to hear from those who have a 26 RLS and I have the following questions.
1. What are you real life tongue and dry weights?
2. Do you tow your 26 RLS with a 1/2 ton pick up? Do you wish you had a 3/4 ton pick up?
3. Are you pleased with the 26 RLS?
Thanks in advance,
Ambrose
Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #2

Hi Ambrose,

Our 2013 model 26RLS has the following weights;

Ship weight (yellow sticker): 6810 lbs
Loaded for camping (no water): 7240 lbs
Tongue weight ready to camp (no water): 1080 lbs
These weights are actual CAT scale weights.

We tow with a GMC 2500 HD with 6.0L gas engine and 3:73 rear end. Just got back from New Hampshire White Mountains, and the truck handled the 6% grades very well. I'm glad I have the 3/4 ton instead of a 1/2 ton. Much more sure footed. Previously had a 1500 Chev pulling a 22FB (weight 5600 lbs). That was enough TT for the 1/2 ton. I say this because towing in bad and windy weather is the kicker for the TV.

We love the 26RLS, and very glad we traded up.

BTW, our mpg towing is essentially the same mpg we had got with the 1/2 ton towing the 22FB.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #3

Hey David474- thanks for your reply- very helpful. Wow! the wts go up in the real world don't they? I suspected the 26RLS could overwhelm a 1/2 ton- I don't want to be in the margins towing. I have been considering a GMC 2500 gasser. What kind of mpgs are you getting? BTW I grew up camping in the White Mtns of NH- ever been to Dolly Copp Campgrd in the Nat'l Forest?
Ambrose
Old 06-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

David,

Great loaded weight information on the 26RLS! As you noted, the 1,080lb loaded tongue weight would utilize a lot of a 1/2 ton's payload capacity..., possibly more if one towed with fluid in the tanks. It still amazes how much of a weight delta there is between published UVW's and actual "ship weights".

Ambrose,

The following JOF link you may find helpful when looking at TV Payload Capacities and Tow Ratings: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...uot-Tow-Rating

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #5

We have a 2013 26rls with every single option with the exception of the power stabilizer jacks. Our sticker weight comes in at just over 6,800. I can't remember exactly but it's right there. I have no idea of the tongue or actual weight when loaded but I would assume around 7,300 lbs.

We tow with a brand new Ram 1500 with the max towing package of just over 10,000.

Everything looks and feels great when towing. You honestly don't even know its back there. We don't put much cargo in truck. Maybe two chairs and some assorted items probably all under 50 lbs combined.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrose View Post
Hey David474- thanks for your reply- very helpful. Wow! the wts go up in the real world don't they? I suspected the 26RLS could overwhelm a 1/2 ton- I don't want to be in the margins towing. I have been considering a GMC 2500 gasser. What kind of mpgs are you getting? BTW I grew up camping in the White Mtns of NH- ever been to Dolly Copp Campgrd in the Nat'l Forest?
Ambrose
I'm getting 9.5 mpg towing. The worst I've seen is 9.0 mpg into a 30 mph headwind. These are hand calculated.
We were in a KOA at Woodstock, NH near Franconia Notch State Park and had planned to go to Twin Mountain KOA, but had to leave early due to a family emergency. We will have to go back again to climb Mount Washington.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:56 PM   #7

I picked up a 2014 White Hawk 28dsbh yesterday with a sticker number of 5,973 lbs and towed it home with my 2012 5.7 Tundra CM with tow. I wouldn't want to tow anything heavier with that truck once the camper gets loaded. I have a 4 pt equalizer and had no sway, no bounce, and no squat. The truck did an admirable job with that load, but I have read others towing campers that heavy, or heavier, with a Tundra say that the truck tows it like it isn't even back there. That's BS. Our tow home was almost exactly 100 miles on almost perfectly flat roads (mostly on I 95 in VA south of Richmond to Fredericksburg). If you're full timing, I'm assuming that it will be loaded up pretty well. Also, if you have a new Tundra, you more than likely do not have close to 10,000 tow capacity. Toyota was the first manufacturer to adopt the new towing standards and they reduced their towing capacities substantially. My '12 CM 5.7 4x4 with tow package is rated at 8,300 lbs. I have seen that the '13 has been increased slightly. Regardless, the payload rating of less than 1,400 lbs severely restricts you, and, although I really love my truck, I would not recommend that TV for a full timing rig with a trailer that has an advertised dry hitch weight of 820 lbs.
mrp116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by David472 View Post
I'm getting 9.5 mpg towing. The worst I've seen is 9.0 mpg into a 30 mph headwind. These are hand calculated.
We were in a KOA at Woodstock, NH near Franconia Notch State Park and had planned to go to Twin Mountain KOA, but had to leave early due to a family emergency. We will have to go back again to climb Mount Washington.
I should clarify, these mpg figures are miles per US gallon, not Imperial gallon, which Canadians use.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #9

I will go the other way than mrp116.

We have the 4dr., 5.7L Tundra. 6 speed, 381hp, full tow pkg. Our 26RLS stickers at I believe 6300/lbs. and we use a EZ lift hitch. Just got back from our 5th trip with it the week after Memorial day. Truck bed had 5gal. of spare gas, a Honda E2000 generator, numerous leveling boards, a fold up table, and 4 chairs.

We traveled from southern Ohio, to Charleston, WV., and then into Lexington, KY. No steep, steep hills but plenty of long grade hills all along the way. (300 hundred miles) No problems whatsoever, and I am running the original P rates Michelins on the Tundra. Continual 62/63mph. 9.7MPG.

We had a steady tail/side wind on the way home and only once or twice did I feel the least bit uncomfortable. The TT pulled great and the Tundra was excellent.

The only thing I will change when the time comes is to go to the Michelin MS/2 light truck tires. JMHO

By the way, we love our 26RLS. This is our third RV and it is the best yet. Hope it stays that way.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #10

Thanks for all your replies- very helpful on all my questions. As full timers we could probably use the extra payload capacity of a 3/4 ton. Looks like towing mpg between the Tundra and the 2500HD are very similar though. I have debated diesel vs gas but have pretty much decided on gas because of the increased diesel costs up front and with maintenance. Also I can do the maintenance on a gas truck. I guess when the time comes to buy the truck it may boil down to who is offering the best deal/warranty. For warranty purposes we want a new trailer and truck to avoid costly repairs on the road. After a few yrs of full timing we anticipate settling down again and selling the rig so resale is somewhat important. I have one more question. When we looked at the Jayco 26 RLS at our local dealer the salesman spontaneously said: "Oh sure you can the trailer cheaper at a place like RV direct but you won't get the Jayco warranty coverage." Is that true?
Thanks Ambrose
Old 06-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #11

Mrp - I am looking to get a 28dsbh also and live in Richmond. Where did u purchase from and how was it? Also, your yellow sticker weight was 59xx? That is several hundred over the published dry weight right? I have a 13 ram 1500 a d debating on if it can pull it in the mountains of west va. I am guessing ur ready to camp weight would be close to 7k lbs? I know how my ram pulls quads on a big trailer in the hills (just fine) but I am thinking the 28dsbh might be pushing it
Old 06-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrose View Post
I have one more question. When we looked at the Jayco 26 RLS at our local dealer the salesman spontaneously said: "Oh sure you can the trailer cheaper at a place like RV direct but you won't get the Jayco warranty coverage." Is that true?
Thanks Ambrose
Jayco will still honor the warranty...the local dealer may not want to but Jayco will have them. He was trying to fill you full of BS as he is pressuring you into a sale. I would not buy from that salesman...find someone else from the same dealership or another dealership even if it is a little ways away. We have to travel about 1 hour to get to our local dealer but they are worth it.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:44 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Bigmike1461
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedAWDAstro View Post
Jayco will still honor the warranty...the local dealer may not want to but Jayco will have them. He was trying to fill you full of BS as he is pressuring you into a sale. I would not buy from that salesman...find someone else from the same dealership or another dealership even if it is a little ways away. We have to travel about 1 hour to get to our local dealer but they are worth it.
. I agree with liftedAWDAstro,if you buy from the local dealer you will get better service because it is that dealer you will be going to for service and I like to support the the local business you might pay a little bit more but in the end you will be a happy camper,my local Jayco dealer has been there over 40 years that for me goes a long way.
2016 F350 lariat 4x4 6.2 gas 3:73
2018 Jayco 28.5RSTS HT
[SIGPIC]

Long Island,NY.
Bigmike1461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmike1461 View Post
. I agree with liftedAWDAstro,if you buy from the local dealer you will get better service because it is that dealer you will be going to for service and I like to support the the local business you might pay a little bit more but in the end you will be a happy camper,my local Jayco dealer has been there over 40 years that for me goes a long way.
Thanks Bigemike- ordinarily I would be buy from a local dealer but we plan on being full timers on the road right after the purchase- we then could be anywhere in the US or Canada. That means we won't have ready access to the local dealer we purchased from. One of the reasons we are leaning towards a Jayco purchase is their well established national network of dealers where we could get warranty work if needed.
How does your F150 do pulling the 26RLS?
Thanks
Ambrose
Old 06-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #15

Don't be fooled into thinking that your local jayco dealer will fix a warranty problem if you didn't buy from them.

We bought our first jayco out of state. We had a tank sensor problem on our first trip. The wires were cut somehow. Anyway, our local dealer wouldn't take warranty work.

We sold that camper and bought another jayco, this time from the local place. The service has been outstanding.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Mrp - I am looking to get a 28dsbh also and live in Richmond. Where did u purchase from and how was it? Also, your yellow sticker weight was 59xx? That is several hundred over the published dry weight right? I have a 13 ram 1500 a d debating on if it can pull it in the mountains of west va. I am guessing ur ready to camp weight would be close to 7k lbs? I know how my ram pulls quads on a big trailer in the hills (just fine) but I am thinking the 28dsbh might be pushing it
PM sent.
mrp116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:15 PM   #17

I purchased a 2013 26RLS April 2013.
I am pulling it with a 2012 Ford F-150 Crew Cab with an EcoBoost.
I do not have any problems pulling this trailer loaded (9000Lbs). I did add airbags and run 60psi in them.
I live in Wyoming and do not have any problem with the mountain grades such as the Bighorns which have some 7% grades. I can actually accelerate up these grades.
Average gas mileage pulling the trailer is 9.7mpg.
Jdaniel343 is offline   Reply With Quote