Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-01-2017, 09:53 PM   #1

Jayflight 26BH 12v electrical system issue

I have a 2012 Jayflight 26BH that is having peculiar electrical issues. I just purchased it used a few weeks ago.

When plugged in to shore power and with the battery disconnected, nothing on the 12v system works. The converter (70 amp progressive dynamics) DOES work, and it is delivering 13.6 volts to the panel which I confirmed with my multimeter. The 120v AC system works (microwave is on).

If I hook up the 12v battery to the trailer, the trailer runs off the battery just fine. When plugged in to shore power, and with the battery hooked up, it still seems to be running off only the batter. Still get 13.6 volts at the panel (both the converter terminals and the battery terminals at the panel), but I am only reading battery voltage (11.5 - dead batteries) at the battery. I actually expected to see 13.6, or close to, at the battery because of the converter, so that is fishy.

I checked all the fuses - the 2 30 amp fuses on the panel are fine, and the 30 amp fuse at the battery is also fine. I checked all the fuses on the converter and they are fine - which I expected since I was reading proper voltage at the panel.

I am at a loss at even where to start diagnosing this one. There doesn't seem to be anything happening at all on the 12v system without the battery hooked up even though I'm picking up 13.6 at the panel.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Clayton
happy_camper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:17 PM   #2

Look at back side of the panel to thee if you have any bad connections. I had a main wire burn out . Repaired that and it has been OK since . Never found out what overloaded to cause the wire to burn .

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Nitehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:02 AM   #3

It sounds like your electrical system is doing what it's supposed to do. Also sounds like you need a new battery.

Basically, your charger charges the battery, and your trailer runs off the battery (not the converter/charger). Without a healthy battery, your 12v system won't function as it should.

I highly recommend viewing this video, which includes some great info on batteries and electrical systems.

Happy battery = happy life.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:45 AM   #4

Thanks, I will watch that video! I can charge the battery with my regular battery charger and the 12v system works fine. I understand the converter is a charger, however, the issue is no charge is making its way to the battery. When I take the multimeter to the battery it should read 13.6 volts which is what the converter puts in the 12 v system.

Where does the 12v battery connect to the 12v system? Above I posted that the battery terminals had 13.6 volts on the panel when hooked up to the converter/shore. When not hooked up to shore power the voltage on the battery terminal at the panel is 0, yet the 12v system seems to be working as it should.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:47 AM   #5

You most likely have a bad connection between the converter output and the battery. The first step is to disconnect everything (AC Power and Battery) Make sure the battery cables are not touching anything. Then measure resistance between the output of the convertor and the battery connection, do this for both positive and negative wires. You should see a very low resistance, like you see when you touch the meter leads together. If the leads are too short, you can attach a wire to extend the leads so you can make this measurement.
My first guess is that the issue is probably a bad fuse or bad ground connection. Often travel trailers use the frame as a ground.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 11:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
It sounds like your electrical system is doing what it's supposed to do. Also sounds like you need a new battery.

Basically, your charger charges the battery, and your trailer runs off the battery (not the converter/charger). Without a healthy battery, your 12v system won't function as it should.

I highly recommend viewing this video, which includes some great info on batteries and electrical systems.

Happy battery = happy life.

I just stumbled upon this video yesterday, we are preparing for our first dealer walk-through on Friday. Lots of good information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Jay Feather 25BH
medic_adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:56 PM   #7

That was a very good video. Make sense? 🤣
Scott_Trailer_Newbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:33 PM   #8

Well, whatever shook loose to cause the problem shook back in place because I took it camping this weekend and everything worked properly, so there is a loose connection or short somewhere! I'm going to go through all of the connections and make sure everything looks snug. Thanks all for the suggestions, and link to that great video.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:52 PM   #9

Solved!

The issue showed up again.

I traced all the wires by hand. Upon crawling underneath the trailer by the panel it was discovered the neutral wire coming from the panel that should have been grounded to the frame was no longer screwed on to the frame. Because of how the wire was sitting it wasn't immediately obvious. The head of the screw broke off and the wire was only resting in the frame - explaining why it sometimes behaved. Drilled a new hole & bolted the neutral wire to the frame for a nice solid ground and the issue is dealt with once and for all.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:19 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
The Neutral/Grounds to the chassis frame are a big problem in the RV industry. It is installed dry and they often corrode. With open underbelly it is an easy fix to use some die-electric grease. For the ones with an enclosed underbelly they are usual near the power panel to the chassis and often there is a ground near the front 12 volt box.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote