Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-27-2014, 05:39 PM   #1

JayFlight 26Bh

So my father in law is a hardcore RV guy. He's had everything from a popup to a 5th wheel. He's really trying to talk me into getting 3/4 ton truck so that I can pull a SunnyBrook 5th wheel when what I really want is a 1/2 ton truck and the JayFlight 26BH. He's really against any "overlap system" because they inevitably leak. I know the SunnyBrook is far superior to the 26BH. What I need to know is if the 26BH is prone to leaking or if my stepfather is just a wee bit biased. Thanks in advance.
Spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:48 PM   #2
Site Team

If by overlap system you mean the aluminum siding, the "stick and tin" design has been around for many decades. The 26BH is one of Jayco`s most popular floorplans, and I cannot recall a thread here about one leaking, but as with all RV`s it is always a possibility. The Jayflight line is also the most popular TT line here on the forum, as indicated in our TT poll. I would not hesitate to buy one, if that is what you want.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:54 PM   #3

I think what he means is how the corners of the trailer come together. So the walls come together and then there's a strip of material that weather proofs it. That seam is prone to leaks in his opinion. I agree, I've heard nothing but good things about the 26BH.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:55 PM   #4

We bought our 26BH new in March of 2013 and it has been nearly trouble free after a few dozen outings. Friends of ours bought their 26BH (also new) a year before us and they had a minor leak from a bad caulking around a front clearance light. We wouldn't hesitate to buy another Jayco again or recommend them to a friend.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:41 PM   #5

I had a couple of leaks in mine. Luckily, the water dripped right into my bathtub. The outer plastic skylight had cracked slightly.

First time, I fixed it with lots of self leveling caulk. Second time, the crack was going upward from the base, towards the top. Out came the JB Weld and it's been leak free ever since.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:27 PM   #6

I had a 26Bh -- no issues what so ever.

My .02 ---

If you are buying a truck buy the 3/4 ton now, don't mess with the 1/2 ton. Get what ever TT/5er you want but realize if you get the 26BH odds are you will be upgrading quicker than you current think.

Obviously if you have a FIL -- then you are married
Looking a bunkhouses -- I assume you have kids or will have kids.

Again the 26BH is nice trailer, but w/o a slide it does get tight. For us it was manageable with 2 kids, when #3 arrived it was more than we could handle in it. We had the single over double bunks which provided the little wardrobe closet. It was small but we sure apprecaited having it. I honestly don't know how folks do it with kids and the double over double.

Take you time, do some research, if the 26BH is what you finally decide on I can't blame you. Its a nice combination of size/weight/cost -- but again do yourself a favor and get the 3/4 ton truck now. You will be happy you have it already when that day comes.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:55 AM   #7

You don't give your age but take it from an old timer " get the 3/4 ton " you'll be glad you did. Enjoy your next adventure .
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:45 AM   #8

+1 for the 26BH being a FINE trailer. We looked at them very seriously before "settling" on the 28BHBE. For the 26BH, you don't need a 3/4 ton, but the guys above are right. If there's ANY chance you MIGHT upgrade your trailer, or decide your FIL was right and you shoulda gotten the 5er, just go ahead and get the bigger truck now. It will save you a bunch of time, money, teeth gnashing and heartache.

However, if you're absolutely convinced that the 26BH is THE trailer for your family, and you're in it for the long haul (10 yrs or so), then there's no reason to go with the 3/4 ton. But I would think LONG AND HARD about that one.

I'm in a 1/2 ton right now. We're about to have a baby boy, and my currently maxed out 1/2 T won't have the capacity for all the additional stuff that comes with a toddler. So we're in the same boat many others before us have been in; upgrading the TV. It happens, life goes on.

Just be real honest with yourself and think about how you and your family will use this equipment, then make the best decision for YOU AND YOUR FAMILY (your FIL doesn't have to tow it or make payments on it). If you end up changing things in the future (and you most likely will) you'll have to change things anyway, so it's not the end of the world... After all, having fun and making memories is the most important part right!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:56 AM   #9

We love our 26BH. We have 3 kids, double over double bunks, and we camped in it 3 weeks straight. We had more than enough storage for our stuff and plenty of living space for the family (OK, it was a little tight for the two weeks my mother-in-law was with us). We towed over 3000 miles behind a 1/2 ton.

I am personally happy to not have a slide out, as it was nice to pull into Walmart, buy a rotisserie chicken, and have a quick family dinner at the dinette before getting back on the road. It is also easier to park in some of the state parks we go to.

We are definitely not looking to upgrade anytime soon. Everyone has different preferences, so don't let anyone else convince you of theirs. YMMV.

That said, if I were to buy a new truck, I would go for a a 3/4 ton.
slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:17 PM   #10

We've had our 264BH for over a year and a half now. We love it and have had absolutely no problems with leaks at all, and we've pulled it over 10,000 miles so far. We pull it with a 2014 GMC 1/2 ton crew cab truck with the 6.2L engine and the factory towing package. I usually average about 10 1/2 MPG towing at 65MPH. The truck is rated for 13,500 lbs and of course our trailer is only about half that.
Give it lots of thought and go with your gut.
Good luck.

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:58 PM   #11

Damn all of you 3/4 ton advocates. I appreciate all of the advise I really do. My family and I are really only buying a TT to have a slight upgrade from a tent. We love tent camping. The only upgrade we really want is a little AC. We prefer to be outside when camping and really only need the TT to sleep in so I'm not sure we'll be in a hurry to buy a larger trailer. It's for this reason that I'm now once again leaning heavily toward a 1/2 ton 2015 Ram Ecodiesel and a 26BH. Please keep posting any and all advise. The more info. the better. Thanks again for all the comments I really do appreciate it!
Old 08-28-2014, 07:09 PM   #12

Perhaps I should have mentioned that the 3/4 ton truck in question is a 2008 Chevy diesel with 67k miles on it. Granted I know that the truck is in perfect condition and that 67k is nothing for a Diesel engine but a tuff decision when compared to a brand new 1/2 ton diesel.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:34 PM   #13

Only word of caution I have about the Ram EcoDiesel is check the payload for the truck. I looked at them before buying my Ram 2500 and a fully loaded EcoDiesel (Longhorn and even the Laramie) had a payload of 1,036 pounds. Add 2 or 3 passengers, full of gas, the tongue weight of the trailer and propane, batteries, etc., you'll be well over that payload rating!

I love Ram trucks but their payload is low for their tow ratings (1500s). You'll max the payload before you can max the towing capabilities! Great truck though and I like what Ram did but I wish they had more payload!
Old 08-28-2014, 08:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Deuce View Post
Only word of caution I have about the Ram EcoDiesel is check the payload for the truck. I looked at them before buying my Ram 2500 and a fully loaded EcoDiesel (Longhorn and even the Laramie) had a payload of 1,036 pounds. Add 2 or 3 passengers, full of gas, the tongue weight of the trailer and propane, batteries, etc., you'll be well over that payload rating!

I love Ram trucks but their payload is low for their tow ratings (1500s). You'll max the payload before you can max the towing capabilities! Great truck though and I like what Ram did but I wish they had more payload!

I hear ya, I do. The payload number has been a point of contention for me too. However, if a go over a few hundred pounds a few times a year I think the truck can handle that. Most of my trips will be within a few hours of home with maybe one big trip a year. It's something that I've watched closely and have followed a few forums and the vast majority of current owners don't seem too concerned with it. I hope they're right! Great point though.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur View Post
Perhaps I should have mentioned that the 3/4 ton truck in question is a 2008 Chevy diesel with 67k miles on it. Granted I know that the truck is in perfect condition and that 67k is nothing for a Diesel engine but a tuff decision when compared to a brand new 1/2 ton diesel.
Brand new would be the deal killer for me -- I'm done with taking the huge value hit the second you buy it. I have bought several new cars and trucks, and I used to think if I kept them ~8 years, which I do, that new or used really didn't matter. Now I just assume buy 3+ year old vehicle and still keep it ~8 years and I feel I am money ahead.

Probably has a lot to do with finding Dave Ramsey and swearing off debt for life :-)
Old 08-29-2014, 08:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Brand new would be the deal killer for me -- I'm done with taking the huge value hit the second you buy it. I have bought several new cars and trucks, and I used to think if I kept them ~8 years, which I do, that new or used really didn't matter. Now I just assume buy 3+ year old vehicle and still keep it ~8 years and I feel I am money ahead.

Probably has a lot to do with finding Dave Ramsey and swearing off debt for life :-)
You bring up a good point. But IMHO, it depends on the type of vehicle you're talking about and the market you're in. For example, down here in Texas, it's truck country. Pickups are the most common vehicle on the road. For that reason, a good, clean, low mileage pickup will command quite a premium in the used truck market. It's not uncommon to find clean pickups that are just a little bit cheaper than their brand new counterparts. We're not talking a lot of money here, so in this region, and with dealer discounts, mfg incentives and discounts, and depending on your intended usage, the "depreciation hit" on a new pickup is not so bad. On top of that, dealers will give you a great deal on trade-in of your clean, low mileage used truck because they know they can sell it for a great markup, and there's currently a shortage of clean used vehicles in this region. Other incentives and advantages may include maintenance programs, knowing the complete history of your vehicle, and better warranty coverage. When you take in the entire picture, sometimes a new vehicle is a better deal.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-29-2014, 08:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
You bring up a good point. But IMHO, it depends on the type of vehicle you're talking about and the market you're in. For example, down here in Texas, it's truck country. Pickups are the most common vehicle on the road. For that reason, a good, clean, low mileage pickup will command quite a premium in the used truck market. It's not uncommon to find clean pickups that are just a little bit cheaper than their brand new counterparts. We're not talking a lot of money here, so in this region, and with dealer discounts, mfg incentives and discounts, and depending on your intended usage, the "depreciation hit" on a new pickup is not so bad. On top of that, dealers will give you a great deal on trade-in of your clean, low mileage used truck because they know they can sell it for a great markup, and there's currently a shortage of clean used vehicles in this region. Other incentives and advantages may include maintenance programs, knowing the complete history of your vehicle, and better warranty coverage. When you take in the entire picture, sometimes a new vehicle is a better deal.
I understand what you are saying, even in my corner of Central California we are both farm country and in the midst of an oil boom, so trucks here are also extremely common and retain value more than a SUV or Passenger Car. Because of this I had to get my truck from an urban part of California in order to find a good clean truck with reasonable miles. It was ~4 years old and I paid ~50% of its new price and close to 40% of the current year prices.

All that said, my purchasing decisions are almost entirely determined by how much cash I have and am willing to spend and "never take debt" lifestyle we began several years ago. I am not willing to part with the amount of cash new cost me.

These decisions are unique to everyone and their situation. I am not trying to talk someone into something they don't want -- just offering another perspective and opinion.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
These decisions are unique to everyone and their situation. I am not trying to talk someone into something they don't want -- just offering another perspective and opinion.
Completely agree. That's why I posted what I did; everyone's individual situation is unique, and there's not one right answer!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-29-2014, 02:00 PM   #19

I have a 2015 26 BH and love it. Its a perfect trailer for me, the wife , and my 2 boys(3 and 1). Still got lots of room for us to grow into.. I encourage my kids to play outside, the whole purpose of camping, so the slide/extra room was not an option for us.
I also tow it with my 2014 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi. Absolutly no issues, and i tow up some long hills. As mention in a previous post, the payload is the ram's sore spot.. I only carry an extra 30lbs propane tank in the bed of the truck... Everything else goes in the trailer. Fully loaded, full gas, family, food clothes toys/bikes etc I am within all my capacities. The eco desiels towing capacity is lower than the hemi, especially if you get fully loaded so you might have to dig deeper into that if you are really cosidering the 26 BH
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:32 PM   #20

I can't buy a used Ecodiesel so new is the only option for me in the 1/2 ton market as I wouldn't entertain another 1/2 ton truck.
The Ecodiesel actually has a little more torque than the Hemi and can easily tow 8k which is perfect for the 26BH. I've spoken to a few people that have pulled over 10k with the Ecodiesel through the mountains and didn't have any issues. My 26BH wouldn't weigh much over 6k the way we camp so towing the trailer is not a concern for me.