Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #1

Jayflight 28BHS or White Hawk 28DSBH?

Greetings all!
I had thought that I had narrowed my search down to the 26BH or the 28BHS, but having looked at the trailers, I have modified the finalists... I now am trying to decide between the Jayflight 28BHS and the White Hawk 28DSBH! After adding some of the options that I thought worthwhile to the Jayflight 28BHS, the price moved significantly closer to the White Hawk.
As I mentioned in my first post, we are planning a cross country trip next spring.
TV is a 2004 Chevy Avalanche 1500 4x4 (Transmission Cooler, WDH, Brakes)

I am looking for anyone's thoughts or experiences with either or both of these trailers. This is my first RV purchase, and any insight on construction, towing, livability, maintenance, etc. would be appreciated! I personally like the larger slide on the WH, but I also like the larger tanks on the Jayflight! Also, trying to determine if the Jayflight would be more "rugged" in the long run. THANKS!
GIFCo147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
Site Team

Looks like the Whitehawk 28DSBH and the Jayflight 28BHBE have the same floorplan, the Jflight being heavier. The Jayflight 28 BHS is a bit shorter and lighter then the Whitehawk. I can only add that our 28BHS is over 3 years old now and has been a solid unit with a large L shaped kitchen. The slide is shallow, but everything is accessible with it retracted, even if the couch is folded to a bed.

FLOORPLAN 28DSBH
Weights
Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) 5,290
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) 590
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) 7,500
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 2,210
Measurements
Exterior Length 31' 11"
Exterior Width 96"
Exterior Height w/ A/C 128"
Interior Height 78"
Tank Capacities
Fresh Water Capacity (gals) includes water heater 46.2
Gray Waste Water Capacity (gals) 45
Black Waste Water Capacity (gals) 30.5
Other
Sleeping Capacity 7-10

FLOORPLAN 28BHBE
Weights
Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) 6,430
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) 665
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) 9,250
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 2,820
Measurements
Exterior Length 33' 3"
Exterior Width 96"
Exterior Height w/ A/C 134"
Interior Height 81"
Tank Capacities
Fresh Water Capacity (gals) includes water heater 86
Gray Waste Water Capacity (gals) 32.5
Black Waste Water Capacity (gals) 32.5
Other
Sleeping Capacity 8-10

FLOORPLAN 28BHS
Weights
Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) 5,045
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) 690
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) 7,500
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 2,455
Measurements
Exterior Length 30' 6"
Exterior Width 96"
Exterior Height w/ A/C 127"
Interior Height 81"
Tank Capacities
Fresh Water Capacity (gals) includes water heater 90
Gray Waste Water Capacity (gals) 32.5
Black Waste Water Capacity (gals) 32.5
Other
Sleeping Capacity 7-9
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIFCo147 View Post
snip..... This is my first RV purchase, and any insight on construction, towing, livability, maintenance, etc. would be appreciated! ....snip
Since this is your first TT purchase..., refer to your Avalanche's weight limit specifications and consider the potential "loaded" weights of the TT's you are looking at. Be aware that in most instances RV dealerships tend to focus on Unloaded and Dry weights, it's up to the consumer to know if the potential "loaded weights" will be the deal breaker.

Look closely at your Avalanche's "payload capacity", because the combined weights of the passengers, TV cargo, and the "loaded" TT tongue weight should not exceed the payload capacity (yes, the TV carry's the tongue weight). Figure a loaded tongue weight for a 30ft TT to be 13% to 15% of the loaded TT weight.

Something to know about manufacture Tow Ratings (RV dealers reference these often): http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...uot-Tow-Rating

Also, the published TT UVW isn't the Ship Weight, the actual Ship Weight will be noted on a Yellow sticker on the side of the TT. The actual ship weight can be 200lbs to 400lbs heavier than the published UVW (varies from model-to-model).

Matching the right TT to your present TV considering potential loaded weight conditions will make for an enjoyable purchase and cross country trip experience.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:46 AM   #4

Jayflight 28BHS or White Hawk 28DSBH?

Absolutely Bob! Your info has been a great help to me over the past couple years as I have had a 28BHS and now a 32TSBH. I can speak from experience that a 800-900lbs tongue weight for the 28BHS is not uncommon. I picked up a Shurline tongue scale and was shocked how much I was carrying on the hitch. I whole heartedly recommend you do the same as well as do all the other homework.

John
Equalizer 12K
Forgvn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #5

We have the Whitehawk 28dsbh and love it. We have had it since August and have been out 5 times with trouble free camping, not one single issue. We are a family of 4 and space in the trailer is perfect, the deep slide is also a great feature. There is tons of stoage inside and out on this TT. The smaller holding tanks due lead to more frequent dumping but not a big deal when at a site with full hook ups. Our TV is a 06 Armada that pulls the TT with no problem, the trailer pulls awesome paired with a equalizer hitch. I aslo like ( for some reason ) you dont see many of them on the road yet. Overall it seems to be a well built trailer with alot of attention due detail and would hightly recommend it to anyone. Hope this helps.
jonitza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Since this is your first TT purchase..., refer to your Avalanche's weight limit specifications and consider the potential "loaded" weights of the TT's you are looking at. Be aware that in most instances RV dealerships tend to focus on Unloaded and Dry weights, it's up to the consumer to know if the potential "loaded weights" will be the deal breaker.

Look closely at your Avalanche's "payload capacity", because the combined weights of the passengers, TV cargo, and the "loaded" TT tongue weight should not exceed the payload capacity (yes, the TV carry's the tongue weight). Figure a loaded tongue weight for a 30ft TT to be 13% to 15% of the loaded TT weight.

Something to know about manufacture Tow Ratings (RV dealers reference these often): http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...uot-Tow-Rating

Also, the published TT UVW isn't the Ship Weight, the actual Ship Weight will be noted on a Yellow sticker on the side of the TT. The actual ship weight can be 200lbs to 400lbs heavier than the published UVW (varies from model-to-model).

Matching the right TT to your present TV considering potential loaded weight conditions will make for an enjoyable purchase and cross country trip experience.

Bob
+1 We just traded in a 04 29 BHS and it is the exact same TT as the new 28 BHS and loaded down it's going to be a workout for a 1/2 ton SUV. I pulled ours to Pa. this summer with my 3/4 ton 3.73 geared 6.0 gasser and it was a workout for the truck and myself. This is coming from a trucker there is no way I would consider a cross country trip with my truck and that camper let alone with a 1/2 ton SUV.
THABULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by THABULL View Post
+1 We just traded in a 04 29 BHS and it is the exact same TT as the new 28 BHS and loaded down it's going to be a workout for a 1/2 ton SUV. I pulled ours to Pa. this summer with my 3/4 ton 3.73 geared 6.0 gasser and it was a workout for the truck and myself. This is coming from a trucker there is no way I would consider a cross country trip with my truck and that camper let alone with a 1/2 ton SUV.
Need to rephrase that last sentence. Knowing the real world limitations of my 06 Chevy 3/4 ton IMO I would not pull that TT cross country with a 04 Chevy 1/2 ton SUV. The scaled GCVW loaded as we go camping minus the wife , 2 kids and all 3 holding tanks bone dry was over 15,000 lbs. Most newer 1/2 ton trucks/SUV are now rated higher than my truck and shouldn't have a problem with that size TT.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #8

According to the latest Trailer Life towing guide the maximum tow rating for a 2012 Avalanche 4WD is 8000#
IMHO anything bigger than the 26BH will be more than you will want to pull with that truck, particularly in the mountains.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #9

I just did a Google search for a 04 Avalanche , 7100lbs with 3.73 rear end , 8000lbs with 4.10 rear end and a GCVW of 13000lbs. Look for these codes in the glove box GT4 code is 3.73 , GT5 is 4.10.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #10

We have a 2011 26BH that we initially pulled with a 2008 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 4x4 with 5.3 and 3.73. Pulled out to Black Hills and Yellowstone, did it do it, yes. Was I comfortable, no. We had 2 adults and 2 teenagers in the cab with moderate cargo. We stepped up to a 2011 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 with 6.0 and 3.73, what a difference. I no longer am tired after just towing with the 2500HD. Do your research thoroughly and keep in mind what you're towing with and the "precious cargo" carried within.
270wsmhunter is offline   Reply With Quote