Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #1

Jayflight Roof ??

I was installing vent covers today and noticed the seams between the roof decking making an impression on the rubber roof material and when walking the seams would flex. Is that normal ? We have only had the trailer 3 months and this is my first TT with a rubber roof so I do not know what to expect. Also is the roof supposed to feel spongy while walking on it. I tried to only walk on the areas that had support because of the way the roof felt.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #2

They are making the roofs fairly light; and spongy is a good term to describe walking on it. Also the rubber roofing membrane is really thin. So always have clean shoes, and remove anything from your pockets that you do not need with you, if you are going to sit on the roof, to do any maintenance.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #3

I have a 2011 Jayfeather and have been up on my roof several times to wash it and check things over. I have always tried to "tread lightly" but I never felt like my roof was spongy or seen my roof seams flexing under the rubber membrane roof.
w/ active anti-sway
JAMMFAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #4

I go about 225lbs, when on the roof I can feel a little flex in certain spots, not anything i would call spongy. I have never noticed any roof seams showing.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #5

I weigh about 215 and try to make sure I walk where the supports are. If we camp under trees (as I try to do) I usually send one of my older kids up with a broom to sweep it off before pulling in the slides - they like it and weigh a lot less than me. I always make them kick off the flip flops on the ladder on the way up to make sure nothing cuts the roof.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I weigh 175 lbs and I also try to walk on the support areas cause I don`t want to go falling through the roof . My previous TT had a aluminum roof and this is the first TT I have owned that is stick and tin built and having a rubber roof so I am not sure of what to expect and if what I am seeing is normal. I am planning on taking it back to the dealer for a couple of repairs that have shown up which are minor and I will ask them to look at the roof and see what their opinion is.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo-power View Post
snip......I am planning on taking it back to the dealer for a couple of repairs that have shown up which are minor and I will ask them to look at the roof and see what their opinion is.
I'm sure the roof is fine, but I would still have your observation noted on the warranty service repair list along with the other items you are having addressed so it's on record.

Also, take special note of the required preventative maintenance inspections, thus protecting your 2-year warranty.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #8

I've noticed the same things with my Jayflight roof. Not necessarily a spongy feeling, but it will flex slightly underfoot. I also have a few ripples in rubber roof from it not being laid completely flat at the factory...
TheRevJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRevJosh View Post
I've noticed the same things with my Jayflight roof. Not necessarily a spongy feeling, but it will flex slightly underfoot. I also have a few ripples in rubber roof from it not being laid completely flat at the factory...

That makes me feel a little better. I also have a ripple in the front of mine where the aluminum meets but as long as no leaks i am ok with that. I am taking it to the dealer tjis saturday and leave it with them so they can address the radio and a water leak from the antenna as well as let them check the roof.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:27 PM   #10

I picked up the trailer today and the dealer said the roof was ok and that the flexing was normal. I had a water leak from the antenna when it rained and they resealed it along with resealing any other areas that looked suspiscious.I also had a problem with the radio but that was an operator error( still learning hahaha) and they showed me what was wrong there.Otherwise really no major flaws so far and all is well.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo-power View Post
I picked up the trailer today and the dealer said the roof was ok and that the flexing was normal. I had a water leak from the antenna when it rained and they resealed it along with resealing any other areas that looked suspiscious.I also had a problem with the radio but that was an operator error( still learning hahaha) and they showed me what was wrong there.Otherwise really no major flaws so far and all is well.
Just a note about the am/fm antenna. If it is the whip style with an adjustable ball for side or top mount, the instalation instructions caution to seal the ball portion as water will leak down through the ball where the two halves come together. How do I know this is true? Well I'm in the middle of replacing my roof and while I found no leaks around the antenna I did find where water did come down through the antenna. It coroded the cable that mounts to the bottom of the antenna. Since we have not used the trailer as we just bought it this fall I'm sure the radio woulld not have recieved the best possible signal with the condition of the cable.
87Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #12

When I have to get on the roof I crawl on my hands and knees.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in calif View Post
When I have to get on the roof I crawl on my hands and knees.
I weigh 300 and a buddy of mine must weigh 250 we have been walking around on my 96 324 BH replacing the rubber roof it is plenty sturdy enough!
87Robert is offline   Reply With Quote