Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2017, 04:51 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
Jayflight SLX A/C mod ... no more constant running

Got to test out the auto fan kit for my A/C ....Aftermarket Auto-fan Kits for Coleman RV Air Conditioners
Now, no longer have to listen to the A/C unit running all night. Set the stat on the ceiling unit, fan came on when compressor did, and shut off when desired temp was reached! Easy install too. Highly recommend
Old 08-13-2017, 05:39 AM   #2

Thank you. I have the 9430D715 assembly. Is that the same as yours? It says it will work with mine but requires additional wiring. I want one.
Rendrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendrag View Post
Thank you. I have the 9430D715 assembly. Is that the same as yours? It says it will work with mine but requires additional wiring. I want one.
Mine is the 8330-763. I had to ask for the different install instructions than what comes with the kit. Yes, the 9430D715 does work also, because that was the instructions they sent me the first time. Mine did not require additional wiring, although it says that....only different wire connections!
Old 08-13-2017, 09:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojay View Post
Got to test out the auto fan kit for my A/C ....Aftermarket Auto-fan Kits for Coleman RV Air Conditioners

Now, no longer have to listen to the A/C unit running all night. Set the stat on the ceiling unit, fan came on when compressor did, and shut off when desired temp was reached! Easy install too. Highly recommend

How'd it keep up with the heat? Bought one months ago and have been trying to figure out another way, haven't installed yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Origjcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:26 PM   #5

well, not in Texas here, and i know you guys are getting hit big time with the high temps!
It doesn't change the way the A/C cools, what it does is stop the fan when the compressor shuts off. It's like your home A/C, when the Compressor shuts off when the temp is met, the fan shuts off also!
Old 08-14-2017, 07:41 PM   #6

I plan to order one. My other question is "Why do even the low cost window air conditioners have remote controls and our rv units which cost many times more don't?" Probably available on high end units, I suppose.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:04 PM   #7

does your home A/C have a remote? Am i missing something here with my original post?
Old 08-15-2017, 08:30 PM   #8

Sorry if I confused you. I just thought that it would be nice if our RV air conditioners had remotes. like many cheap window units have.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:20 PM   #9

we, when it was constantly running, i would get up and shut it off .... so yeah, the remote thing may have been an option. The window style air conditioner in the 7' wide SLX models is a home A/C, and you know how we all need remotes at home ....TV, DVD, CABLE, SATELITE, and ya, the A/C!

BTW .... my answer to you kinda sounded snappy now that i re-read it ... wasn't meant to be that way!

My question is .... how much more would it cost them to install the unit that has the wall stat?
Old 08-17-2017, 06:45 PM   #10

Here we are a week later jaycojay, have you had a chance to test the AutoFanKit any more? Thought that I would give you a little more time to review it before i order mine.

My understanding is that only the ducted models are configured to work with an external thermostat. In that case, it would be over $200 to change out the lower unit and install a wall mounted thermostat. This kit promises to accomplish the same thing for one tenth the money.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:45 PM   #11

will be using it on Labor day Weekend .... will advise. So far, from running it in driveway, does what its supposed to do
Old 08-19-2017, 07:45 AM   #12

my first thought when I bought 264bhw was to install the same device to make fan stop when compressor shuts off. However someone suggested that it might actually be more of a problem sleeping because the fan is so loud that it starting and stopping would cause sleeping problem. I'm glad I listened because it would have made it hard on me.

the thermostat in the roof mounted unit is a mechanical type and terribly inaccurate. we can typically have it steady at 70 degrees when going to be only to wake up and its 65.
I would much rather have a wall mounted digital thermo..
Old 08-19-2017, 09:25 AM   #13

The unit would still cycle with the wall mounted thermostat, so what is the sound savings of a wall mounted thermostat? With the cooler weather around the corner, I would anticipate AC would not be needed after midnight, no matter where the thermostat is located. I like the idea of silence instead of a steady running fan.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:13 AM   #14

Yes, i agree .... i would much rather have a wall mounted stat too, but i don't, so this is the next best thing. When you see it, all it is is a toggle switch and 3 wires with different style connectors.... and pending on which model A/C you have, u may have to snip here or there, or connects directly. The nice thing is, the toggle switch is there to turn the system on or off ..... so, if you prefer to listen to the fan all nite, shut it off. I stuck the entire harness in the control box instead of mounting the switch, because i don't intend on shutting off the system!
Old 08-21-2017, 05:39 AM   #15

Quote:
The unit would still cycle with the wall mounted thermostat, so what is the sound savings of a wall mounted thermostat? With the cooler weather around the corner, I would anticipate AC would not be needed after midnight, no matter where the thermostat is located. I like the idea of silence instead of a steady running fan.
i answered that question in my post. A digital thermostat is more accurate, has nothing to do with fan noise/running.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:11 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyExpress View Post
i answered that question in my post. A digital thermostat is more accurate, has nothing to do with fan noise/running.
Since the built in thermostat does not have a numerical readout, how would I know how accurate or inaccurate it is? I line mine up with a pencil mark that I made and the temperature is stays between 74 and 77 degrees. Since we are dealing with poorly insulated boxes, that is good enough for me. I have had digital wall thermostats that did no better. I do miss having the "Auto" setting which shuts off the fan with the compressor. That is why I am curious about this unit. To convert to a wall thermostat is about ten times as much money.

I apologize, as I thought you were concerned with reducing the amount and duration of air conditioner noise.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:05 AM   #17

no apologies needed.

Digital thermos are very accurate as far as cut in and cut out temp. at least at my house they are. I just don't like to have temp all over the place so that was why I was commenting about the built in mechanical thermo.

I was also separately stating that the on /off of the fan would keep me awake so I decided NOT to install the auto fan kit

Hope that clarifies my coments
Old 08-21-2017, 10:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyExpress View Post
no apologies needed.

Digital thermos are very accurate as far as cut in and cut out temp. at least at my house they are. I just don't like to have temp all over the place so that was why I was commenting about the built in mechanical thermo.

I was also separately stating that the on /off of the fan would keep me awake so I decided NOT to install the auto fan kit

Hope that clarifies my coments
Got it. You don't want one. Hoping to hear from people with actual experience with what looks to be a useful addition to their air conditioners.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Got it. You don't want one. Hoping to hear from people with actual experience with what looks to be a useful addition to their air conditioners.
Well, from my testing in the driveway, it works. I hate that stupid thing running all the time. I have had Jaycos that the A/C runs all the time, and i have had some that are on a thermostat wall mounted. Pretty sure, a unit with a wall mounted stat will make the same noise coming on as one that has had this kit installed. All i know is, for the 50 so bucks i spent, it works much better than one that doesn't have it ..... plain n simple, do u enjoy listening to your A/C unit run all night, or like the the big $ units, where the A/C comes on from time to time!
Old 08-22-2017, 07:33 AM   #20

I did both mods, digital thermostat and fan shutoff with the addition of a relay. I was given a digital thermostat, and while I was changing the bathroom fan in my 212QBW to a Vortex II, I noticed I had good access to the A/C unit and the top of the wall where the wire from the thermostat comes into the ceiling. I tapped power from the fan for the thermostat and it was fairly easy to run wire to the A/C unit in the ceiling. In the 212 the A/C unit is pretty close to the bathroom, and the thermostat is on the outside of the bathroom wall. The key is to use a relay with enough current-capacity to run the A/C compressor. I used this one, but I notice now the price has gone up quite a bit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used one set of N.O. contacts for the compressor, and one set for the fan. Works very well. The relay barely fits up in the space where the old thermostat was, but it works.

Jeff