Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #1

Question Jayflight water heater causing water issues

Hey guys, not sure the best way to explain this, but after much troubleshooting I've found that after heating up water and taking a shower for example the water suddenly loses all pressure and the only thing i can attribute it to is the water heater, as one time i thought to turn off the water heater, and the water pressured back up like nothing was wrong. [then other times, after losing water (pressure?) i go turn off the heater, and the water doesnt return]

Back info:
The trouble im having starts like this, say i've heated the water for several hours, im running a shower, the cold and hot water appear to be "fighting" for dominance, so much so that the shower head will usually only pump out cold water or hot, trying to get it "just right" causes the shower head to spurt and make all sorts of weird noises, then, if you leave it alone its fine, or choose a slightly colder or hotter setting,

but then, after say, 5 minutes of showering the water just loses all pressure. Sometimes, its less than that, sometimes i dont even have enough time to turn the shower on before it loses all pressure (water heater is still on) then i just leave the cold knob on and after 15-20 minutes i heard a loud "groan" and/or a repetitious sucking/thudding noise and water resumes to pump (both cold and hot)

then sometimes, i only heat the water for an hour or so, and everything is fine, im not certain yet if it happens after long stretches of heating or not whether that matters at all.

i think the hot water is being held up somewhere, i dont quite know how to explain it, and it just recently started happening.

Anyone ever had anything like this happen or know what this might be all about?
Jayflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #2

Do the other plumbing fixtures act up also?

Is your shower fixture made like this?

Or, does it also have a lower spout? If so, does it do the same when using the lower spout?

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ, CC, 4X4
2005 Jayco Talon ZX24-E Toy Hauler(SOLD).
2017 Forest River Hyper Lite XLR
Prodigy P2 Brake Control
12K Husky Straight Line WD Hitch
chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #3

Air in the hot water supply line might account for it, particularly if the shower line has the longest run. Sometimes it is a bear to get all the air out of the hot side.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #4

Does this only happen with on board water, or does it happen also when connected to city water. Maybe a partially clogged filter?
Added Bedroom light switch and outlet https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=7582
dlfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:59 PM   #5

Does this happen at the sink taps as well. If not it probably is not the hot water tank. The washers inside the shower tap could be deteriorated. We had similar problem with house BR basin taps. New washers fixed it.
2011 Jayco JayFeather Select 28U
Equal-i-zer 1400/14000
Rotochocks
owenssailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #6

yes this is happening at all faucet s in the trailer just started happening though.

shower faucet has nozzle and pull for shower or can run like a bath

im plugged into city water so the trailer seems to suck in a bit then has a hard time keeping it flowing it will run for two or three minutes wait make a water pumping noise then start again for a few minutes very strange as it just started out of nowhere

is the pump electric or should i check for damage there it seems to sound like an air/ pump issue and i doubt this water one has air in it because the outside water house works just fine

thanks,
jf
Old 02-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #7

What is the flow like with just cold and just hot at each of the faucets? Do they flow evenly or does the spurting happen? Does the water system behave the same when on the onboard pump as it does connected to city water?
2011 Jayco JayFeather Select 28U
Equal-i-zer 1400/14000
Rotochocks
owenssailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayflight View Post
yes this is happening at all faucet s in the trailer just started happening though.

shower faucet has nozzle and pull for shower or can run like a bath

im plugged into city water so the trailer seems to suck in a bit then has a hard time keeping it flowing it will run for two or three minutes wait make a water pumping noise then start again for a few minutes very strange as it just started out of nowhere

is the pump electric or should i check for damage there it seems to sound like an air/ pump issue and i doubt this water one has air in it because the outside water house works just fine

thanks,
jf
Are you running on city water and also have the water pump turned on????? If so the water pump will suck air. Water pump should be turned off.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls001 View Post
Are you running on city water and also have the water pump turned on????? If so the water pump will suck air. Water pump should be turned off.
I agree. You don't run the pump when you are hooked to city water. I hope this fixes your problem.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #10

Isn't there a check/backflow valve on the back of the water heater where the hot water exits into the system? This could be acting up. Also, you might try draining the water heater, then as you fill it, open the hot side of the nearest faucet to allow air and gases to escape as the unit fills. And yes, NO pump with city water hookup. Let the city water pressure act as the "pump".
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #11

Quote:
What is the flow like with just cold and just hot at each of the faucets? Do they flow evenly or does the spurting happen? Does the water system behave the same when on the onboard pump as it does connected to city water?
When turning cold on (if heater is off and no hot available) it will spurt if its just being turned on, then normally runs steady but lately has been running out of pressure as though the system is filling up some amount somewhere then running out. No fluidity.

Pump is off.

When trying to run the hot/cold at the same time to get a medium water there is alot of spurting and it seems that they are competing for dominance ive tried to not do this too much if it strains the system when trying to find a medium as i dont want to dmg something if its not working right.

The water is hooked up to city and i have to turn it off/on at the actual outside connection because of a leak in the kitchen sink faucet that drops water continously. Dunno if the current issue of lack of pressure is related to the fact that i have to constantly turn the water on/off for each use but it didnt seem to matter before.

When i find that there is no pressure, i can either turn all faucets off or leave them on and wait until i hear this loud groaning noise then i know pressure has resumed i dunno how to explain it but it feels as though water struggling to squeeze thru a pipe or something

thanks again for all the help.
-JF

edit: id also like to add that this may also happen when the hot water heater is turned off as well. i cannot say with 100% certainty that it does but i do recall turning the water on from the outside, running the cold water then running into this same pressure problem.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #12

Check the strainer on the city water inlet where you attach your water supply hose, the strainer maybe blocked.
2015 Ram 3500 Heavy Duty 6.4 Hemi Reg Cab 3.73 Gear SRW
Member Long Island Castaways
Member Suffolk Committee For Camping
Grumpygp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #13

Check water pressure regulator at the city water faucet I have had them go bad.
hotrod51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #14

Check the checkvalve at the city connection on he TT. Sometimes it can get wedged in sorta sideways and partially block flow. When you disconnect your hose you should see a flat rubber seal (backed up by a spring) blocking the hole. This keeps water from coming back out the city connection when using the onboard tank and pump. From your description it if this is the problem the pressure will build up and equalize when your not using the water. Have you tried running the entire system off the tank/pump to see if problem still exists? If what I described is causing the problem you'd get water coming back out the city connection when using the pump, unless when you turn the pump on it causes the checkvalve to reseat which it well might do.

2010 Jayflight 29RLS
2006 Ford F-250 Superduty 6.0 diesel
Equalizer hitch

Recondite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #15

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130217_115136.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	6472

Name:	IMG_20130217_114922.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	6473

Name:	IMG_20130217_114933.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	6474

Name:	IMG_20130217_115109.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	6475

These are pictures of what the connection at the ground and on the trailer looks like.

I dis-assembled the connection to the trailer looking for any blockage/debris and didnt find any worth noting.
That being said, at the connection there is a connector attached to the trailer with a round screen in it as described in a post above.
But, in the picture of the hose & attachments shown on top of the concrete block there is a 2nd attachment with a round screen inside it, could these be causing the malfunction?
Old 02-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #16

Have you tried it without that pressure regulator installed? (That second brass item with the screen, not the 45 degree elbow).
Have you tried running the system off of just the tank and pump?

2010 Jayflight 29RLS
2006 Ford F-250 Superduty 6.0 diesel
Equalizer hitch

Recondite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #17

Havent tried removing that pressure regulator you mentioned.

Also, have not tried using the pump either.

I have this leak in the faucet at the sink, and theres a slight crack at the pipe in that same drain that causes a pesky leak, I turn the water off after its not in use. Throughout the day this causes the lines to empty and then i suppose air has to be pushed thru the system to get water running again, thing is it didnt use to go back and forth like this, w/ that regulator pressure came immediatley, and stayed. now it seems like its building pressure then losing it then building it and losing it again, i can literally hear the air "burping" thru the pipe each time air is pushed out the system
Old 02-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #18

hey guys the attached pics off the city connection

the setup rotates in a circular fashion and i found that by spinning it so the hose and elbow point up the air interruptions have gone away see new pic

Name:	IMG_20130224_113501.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	6613 i