Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-07-2015, 07:34 PM   #1

JT Strong Arm Stabilizer install question...

Curious - Has anyone encountered any issue(s) installing the JT Strong Arm kit on BAL LoPro SJ24 scissor jacks? These jacks came stock on my 2014 WhiteHawk 30dsqb. I received this kit today and started to install and step one was an issue right from the start...
The swing-bolt diameter is larger than the stock bolts which require a simple reaming to a 3/8", however, the overall length of the swing bolt (4") is too short once inserted to put a washer and nylock on. Even trying just the nylock the swing-bolt is too short. I have not seen anywhere in the instructions and or online in reviews or ordering on Amazon that say these will not work on BAL LoPro stab jacks.
Any input would be much appreciated. I have not contacted the company directly thus far as it is currently after hours. Wanted to see if there was something here that I was missing beforehand...

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1330.JPG   IMG_1331.JPG   IMG_1332.JPG   IMG_1333.JPG  
WhiteHawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:21 PM   #2

Well... I'll sum this project up as being one big PITA!
Bottom line is I ended up going to my local dealer and picked up 4 new Husky stab jacks and installed them accordingly. The base on the LoPro's were too wide for the 4" pivot bolt supplied with the kit. The new Husky jacks are amazingly better in every way than the BAL LoPro's. If you need new jacks take serious consideration to these units - they are AWESOME and extremely HEAVY DUTY! The rigidity of these Husky stabilizers greatly complement the Strong Arms.
Amazon.com: Husky 76862 24 Stabilizing Scissor Jack - Set of 2: Automotive

In summary, the JT Strong Arms are very solid in construction and well built. The instructions that come in the kit will serve better as fire starter, i'm sure. In addition I have two BAL Extended Chocks and locked the JT Arms per the instructions and it did take out a lot of the movement. I will cast a more accurate judgement on the overall value of this kit after a trip or two with the family. My 3 kids will be the true test...
Also, if you have a friend or someone you know who is willing and able to install them for you, trust me, it will be worth "every" nickle or beer(s) you give them to do so. I am an extremely handy DIY'er and this was just a pain.
All the best!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1337.JPG   IMG_1341.JPG   IMG_1338.JPG   IMG_1339.JPG   IMG_1344.JPG  

Old 08-09-2015, 04:42 PM   #3

That is a beautiful kit. Thanks for the pics I'm looking to install a set on my TT.
Rockram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:17 PM   #4

Any update on how this kit is working for stabilization? I'm considering getting these.
stadt11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadt11 View Post
Any update on how this kit is working for stabilization? I'm considering getting these.
Hi stadt11,
Indeed, we have used the trailer a few times now since the install and without question they do help quite a bit with increased stabilization. Overall, I would recommend installing them, in addition, I use 2 adjustable leveling jacks under the entry steps. Now using the strong arms, x-chocks on both sides and (2) entry step jacks, things are much more sturdy.
All the best!
Old 09-02-2015, 05:47 PM   #6

I installed the Steadyfast system on mine, with same results. They are worth the money to me.

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:34 PM   #7

Stabilzers

X2 on the SteadyFast System. Works great, easy to install and help is a phone call away. My unit is 35.5' long and without the SteadyFast System I thought I was back aboard ship. Have had the sys installed for 4 plus years.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:19 PM   #8

Whitehawker,

Are the Husky's a plug and play replacement for the loPros? Or did you have to re-drill - fabricate a new mount?

Thanks
ffej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:38 AM   #9

ffej,

I did re-drill the frame for optimal positioning of the jacks, in addition to using bolts to secure them instead of the self tapping screws used at the factory. The Husky jacks are much better quality than the factory LoPro's...

All the best!
Old 06-29-2019, 08:42 AM   #10

Nice Job I am doing the same as you But I have one question on the very rear jacks how did you mount them to the frame it seem that there is something holding the under belly plastic like a piece of wood or something. Just wondering the best way to mount them I also have a white hawk
ceymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 03:07 PM   #11

I had the same issue on my Whitehawk. Even called the manufacturer to get some tech support and that was a waste of time. This year I installed The Rock stabilizer system. Nothing to bolt on, goes right to the frame. Takes about 10 min to install. Takes ALL of the shake out of the camper. Made in the USA too
Grossey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 03:29 PM   #12

I had exactly the same issue with mine. Flipped the nut over so that the nylon contacted the bolt first and tightened the begeezus out of it. Seems to be holding and the stabilization is rock solid. You do have to remember to tighten the “T” handles after you retract the legs and stabilizers or you will lose one on the highway. A pair of them costs 20+ dollars from the manufacturer.
Fyouberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyouberg View Post
I had exactly the same issue with mine. Flipped the nut over so that the nylon contacted the bolt first and tightened the begeezus out of it. Seems to be holding and the stabilization is rock solid. You do have to remember to tighten the “T” handles after you retract the legs and stabilizers or you will lose one on the highway. A pair of them costs 20+ dollars from the manufacturer.
Are they still holding up? I installed mine today and did the same thing.
niknak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:24 PM   #14

I've put JT Strong arms on two trailers...they both are solid now. You can buy cheaper stuff, but it's just not the same. eBay had the best prices when I bought mine.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:28 AM   #15

I bought them for my fiver but I haven't camped in it yet.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:37 AM   #16

Just an FYI about these Jt Strongarms. As the OP mentioned...if you have BAL Low Pro scissor jacks you will run into a problem in step one with the bolts being too short for the foot on the BAL jacks. For now I tightened the crap out of mine as well but now my scissor jacks are under allot of stress when being stowed or deployed to the point where the foot is no longer parallel to the ground. They are twisted.
I have contacted Lippert who makes this kit and was told that "this is a universal kit and that extra parts might have to be made or purchased to make the kit work on your trailer". I have searched the instructions from one end to the other and for the life of me I cannot find where it says that in there (please say that with a healthy dose of sarcasm). Yes you get longer swing/pivot bolts but I have YET to find one that will work with the BAL jacks and the end of the Strongarm that attaches to it and the ones I am finding that are close are anywhere from $12 to $25 each!!!!! So my options at this point are to make my own longer swing bolts or buy new jack as was mentioned above.

I REALLY like how solid this made our 24MBH but I am seriously disappointed that a company that makes as many products as Lippert hasn't done their homework regarding what works and what doesn't work and doesn't have better customer support .
Flippin 416 is offline   Reply With Quote