Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2011, 04:37 PM   #1

Just came off of a great trip, BUT....

Spent a week in a great KOA in McKean, PA. Its about 15 minutes south of Lake Eries Presque Isle area. Highly recommend it. We got the deluxe pull through patio site that includes umbrella table and 4 chairs, full size grill and a porch swing. Had a great week swimming in the lake and riding our bikes in Presque Isle. Now, the bad part. Wednesday night our CM/Propane alarm went off at 3 am. We opened the door right away and the alarm turned off, but kept chirping every 10 minutes for about an hour afterwards. We determined that by the way the lights were blinking, that the detector had picked up a high level of propane, though we could smell nothing. The next night it started to chirp every 5 minutes or so. I finally pulled the 9 volt battery from the ceiling alarm and the chirping went away. We opened our windows and went back to bed. My questions are this....did I have a malfuction? Was the chirping due to a low battery? Can anybody answer these questions? Thanks in advance.

:cool: 2013 F150 STX Super Cab With Factory Tow Package, Inegrated Trailer Brake Control, 5.0 Liter with 3.55 Gears and Posi Traction :cool:
villain2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
Site Team

The ceiling alarm with the 9 volt battery is the smoke detector. A low battery will make that chirp. The LP/Carbon Monoxide alarm combo will sound if the 12 vlt main battery is low. They have also been known to go off falsely. But you cannot see or smell Carbon Monoxide so better be safe and get it checked out if this alarm is the one that sounded. Was anything running on propane at the time?
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #3

I remember that there was a link about this situation recently. Try doing a search to find the link. Maybe someone with more knowledge can do this.
KathyDiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #4

we had the same issue last year. All searching all over the camper (who knew there was a smoke alarm on the ceiling..lol) - we determined it wasn't the CO2 detector, when my youngest said "whats that on the ceiling?". new battery. check the battery first. see if that fixes it. just replaced it tonight as its been a year.. kinda like tires on your camper. easy to forget!
nucleuscracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #5

Sounds to me like a low battery in the ceiling smoke detector.
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:40 AM   #6

Propane is heavier than air, so the propane detector/alarm will be near the floor of the trailer. Carbon monoxide and smoke alarms are on the ceiling.
Prodigy Brakes
robo59097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #7

These things are pretty sensitive. Our living area alarm has gone off twice. Told DW she has to go outdoors next time she breaks out the hair spray!
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
The ceiling alarm with the 9 volt battery is the smoke detector. A low battery will make that chirp. The LP/Carbon Monoxide alarm combo will sound if the 12 vlt main battery is low. They have also been known to go off falsely. But you cannot see or smell Carbon Monoxide so better be safe and get it checked out if this alarm is the one that sounded. Was anything running on propane at the time?
We had the bottle open at the front of the camper and we did use the oven that night (for the first time ever) to bake a pizza. There were no burners on and we turned off the pilot light in the stove after we got done using it. The alarm went off about 6 hours after we got done using anything propane related. I did replace the 9 volt battery last night. The camper is in storage at this time, so I dont know if its still chirping.

:cool: 2013 F150 STX Super Cab With Factory Tow Package, Inegrated Trailer Brake Control, 5.0 Liter with 3.55 Gears and Posi Traction :cool:
villain2000 is offline   Reply With Quote