Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 09:31 AM   #1

Just hit the road full-time. What is my maximum speed?

2010 Eagle 318RLS Fiberglass. 2015 Chevy 3500 crew 4x4. After much debate, I decided not to go with the weight distribution hitch. Did a direct connect. Made some newbe mistakes, like brought too much weight with me and didn't empty any of the tanks. It seemed that anything over 40 mph it was all over the road. Now all over the road does not mean it was swaying, no. Shouldn't have even use that term. Let's just say it felt unstable. Call it 30 years experience of being a contractor towing things and I could just tell it didn't feel like it was under control. It just didn't feel right.

I drained the holding tanks and the water tank and picked up about an extra 400 pounds. Then I got rid of some 5 gallon containers of water which is another 250. So I dump 650 pounds including taking the propane bottles off of the front and putting them in the rear of the trailer. She's riding much much better now. Still, my speed seems to be about 50 mph. Anything over that and she starts to not feel right. Not sway now, I have no sway at all. I've got it loaded to prevent that. So I don't know how to describe it, but if I have to, I would say the tires need to be so much more stiffer. I would say I'm just carrying too much weight still.

I don't know why, but I just envisioned that I would be able to sail down the road at 70 mph with no issues at all. Now that I'm actually driving this thing on the interstate it is obvious that is not going to apply. So I have a couple of questions and also, my main question is simply this. Is that normal? Should I be able to cruise down the interstate at 70, or was that never really going to happen and I was just stupid?

1) Does it have to be level? Right now the front is pointed down a foot or so, as I didn't want to use a high-rise hitch because the load rating was lower than my straight hitch. It's not awful, but it's obviously not level. Is there any rule that says it has to be level to pull it?

2) Don't understand why they only have load rated C tires on this thing. It seems to me that it is begging for some load E tires. If I take a turn, one of the tires literally looks like it's coming out from under the rim. But it has its maximum air pressure and weight I am carrying is not enough to make it do that. Only on turns ?? Think I am going to upgrade to some stiffer tires, there is no way that can hurt.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:53 AM   #2

There is now way I would have this just sitting on a ball.
Unloaded Vehicle Weight 6,335
Hitch Weight (lbs) 820
Gross Vehicle Weight (lbs) 7,950
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 1,615
You need a WDH and sway!!!! That is why it doesn't feel fight going down the road. Measure the truck up with and with out the trailer hooked up. Good luck to those driving near you.
billMc
Old 02-15-2015, 10:03 AM   #3
Site Team

A few observations,

Since you elected to not go with a WD system, you likely have no sway control as well. Sway control could help with your issues. And are you exceeding the limits of your hitch without a WD system? Many hitches have greatly reduced capacities if a WD system is not used. A quality WD system with integrated sway control could help.

Your trailer should be level or only very slightly nose down. I would say a foot is too much.

Moving weight to the rear or having your rear waste tanks full would possibly promote sway or what you are experiencing. A tongue light trailer is more likely to sway or be squirrely. 10-15% TW is desirable.

I tow at 65 MPH with none of the symptoms you are describing, my trailer has always towed well for me. So yes you should be able to tow at interstate speeds with no problem if everything is set up properly. Many ST tires are only rated to 65MPH, so I try not to go over that.

After a blowout this Fall I went up a load range as well on my trailer tires.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:05 AM   #4

A WDH will solve most if not all your issues. In addition, your tongue weight probably exceeds your max hitch weight (not using a WDH). Personally I wouldn't ever consider a trailer that size without a WDH. Tow vehicle size has no effect on needing one or not.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:27 AM   #5

I avg about 60mph with my 2014 248RBS. I am towing with a 2012 1500 Silverado tow pkg and a equalizer wdh. I have notice wind and road condictions have allot to do with speed, also with the fuel gauge
BillMc
Old 02-15-2015, 10:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMc40 View Post
There is now way I would have this just sitting on a ball.
Unloaded Vehicle Weight 6,335
Hitch Weight (lbs) 820
Gross Vehicle Weight (lbs) 7,950
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 1,615
You need a WDH and sway!!!! That is why it doesn't feel fight going down the road. Measure the truck up with and with out the trailer hooked up. Good luck to those driving near you.
billMc
Getting off subject and don't want to open up the WDH talk again. I'm not a dummy and no, a WDH is NOT causing these issues. I listed my truck information for a purpose. It is a 3500 1 ton pick up, rated at 1500 tongue weight and 15,000 capacity. I am also using a ball and hitch that is rated at 1500 tongue weight and 15,000 pds. Your glorified weight distribution hitch only has a 1200 tongue and 12,000 pound rating...

The back of my truck barely comes down a couple inches after loading this thing up, and that was with a 1400 pound tongue weight. But I lowered the tongue weight down to around 1200. Which is really an absolute perfect way to prevent sway. Adding the weight distribution hitch is not going to deal with the problem I'm talking about, I think stiffer tires will.

WDH are specifically designed for vehicles that can't handle the weight, people using SUVs, 1500s and even 2500's. My 3500 1 ton does not require one.

Not trying to start arguments here I really am not. But best not to leap out and offer advice that is incorrect to others.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:34 AM   #7

I drive 57-60 MPH. Or just follow the trucks. In California 55 is the law.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:45 AM   #8

Thinkl what you want, most here will tell you, pickup shouldn't change more then 1/4 to 1/2 inch with the trailer sitting on it. You are probally smarter then I am. you do not feel what is really going on inn the front end due to the computers. The assited steering. What ever, I will pray for those who you drive by.
BillMc
Old 02-15-2015, 10:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMc40 View Post
Thinkl what you want, most here will tell you, pickup shouldn't change more then 1/4 to 1/2 inch with the trailer sitting on it. You are probally smarter then I am. you do not feel what is really going on inn the front end due to the computers. The assited steering. What ever, I will pray for those who you drive by.
BillMc
1/4 inch drop??? That has to be the most absurd thing I've ever read. Pick ups are designed to take a load, that's what the leaf springs do. The more load, the more they give. Stating a quarter-inch drop after hooking up 9000 pounds just is totally ridiculous and there is nothing wrong with the back of your truck droppin a couple of inches under load, specifically what the truck is designed to do.

I can tell you the type of person now doesn't want to admit they are incorrect so just let it go would you please? Weight distribution hitches distributes the weight. You don't need to distribute the weight when you have a vehicle that can handle the weight. They are not for everybody..
Old 02-15-2015, 11:01 AM   #10

The whole point of a WDH is to distribute the weight evenly from the rear to the front.
With a 3500 you have some really high rated springs on the back so there is not much "Squat" when hitching up with a heavy tongue weight, but when you put a lot of weight on the back, it still lightens up the weight on the front of your truck no matter the rating of the truck.
A heaver tongue weight on the trailer will make it tow more stable and putting that heaver hitch weight distributed on the rear axle and front axle will make the truck have a solid feel at higher speeds.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheaperrooter View Post
2010 Eagle 318RLS Fiberglass. 2015 Chevy 3500 crew 4x4. After much debate, I decided not to go with the weight distribution hitch. Did a direct connect. Made some newbe mistakes, like brought too much weight with me and didn't empty any of the tanks. It seemed that anything over 40 mph it was all over the road. Now all over the road does not mean it was swaying, no. Shouldn't have even use that term. Let's just say it felt unstable. Call it 30 years experience of being a contractor towing things and I could just tell it didn't feel like it was under control. It just didn't feel right.

I drained the holding tanks and the water tank and picked up about an extra 400 pounds. Then I got rid of some 5 gallon containers of water which is another 250. So I dump 650 pounds including taking the propane bottles off of the front and putting them in the rear of the trailer. She's riding much much better now. Still, my speed seems to be about 50 mph. Anything over that and she starts to not feel right. Not sway now, I have no sway at all. I've got it loaded to prevent that. So I don't know how to describe it, but if I have to, I would say the tires need to be so much more stiffer. I would say I'm just carrying too much weight still.

I don't know why, but I just envisioned that I would be able to sail down the road at 70 mph with no issues at all. Now that I'm actually driving this thing on the interstate it is obvious that is not going to apply. So I have a couple of questions and also, my main question is simply this. Is that normal? Should I be able to cruise down the interstate at 70, or was that never really going to happen and I was just stupid?

1) Does it have to be level? Right now the front is pointed down a foot or so, as I didn't want to use a high-rise hitch because the load rating was lower than my straight hitch. It's not awful, but it's obviously not level. Is there any rule that says it has to be level to pull it?

2) Don't understand why they only have load rated C tires on this thing. It seems to me that it is begging for some load E tires. If I take a turn, one of the tires literally looks like it's coming out from under the rim. But it has its maximum air pressure and weight I am carrying is not enough to make it do that. Only on turns ?? Think I am going to upgrade to some stiffer tires, there is no way that can hurt.
So you've told us that you know what you are doing, already have the setup you will be using to tow at 70mph, and it doesn't matter what others in JOF are using that allows them to tow at 70mph.

What you want is just the answer to two questions...
1) does the trailer have to be level and
2) does the trailer need load range E tires
(Your truck already has load range E tires, right?
You inflated the truck tires to the maximum, right?)

1) Yes, as Crabman said - level or slightly nose down, a foot is too much
2) Yes, as you said, 'It couldn't hurt.'

IMO, correcting the above will be steps in the right direction, but will probably not correct all your towing stability issues.

Please keep us updated. We'd like to know your results.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
Old 02-15-2015, 11:21 AM   #12

Quote:
I can tell you the type of person now doesn't want to admit they are incorrect so just let it go would you please? Weight distribution hitches distributes the weight. You don't need to distribute the weight when you have a vehicle that can handle the weight. They are not for everybody..
Incorrect. My F350 factory hitch isn't certified for the tongue weight of most of these trailers without a WDH. Not to mention they are used to distribute the weight evenly amongst all axles, TV and trailer. Otherwise uneven wear will occur, the trailer will be unstable and the ride will not be pleasant.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:24 AM   #13

The tires on your camper are only rated for 65 mph. Anything over that is a disaster waiting to happen. When the weather is good, low wind & clear sunny skies, I travel at 60-63 mph, as my setup gets the best fuel mileage. There is no way I'd travel any faster than what my tires are rated for.

As for your other issues, I'll stay away from you when you are traveling. its drivers like you that give us RV'ers a bad rap on the roads.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
Old 02-15-2015, 12:07 PM   #14

Geez... Here it comes. Already there has to be people to start bashing me. You all 100% percent incorrect. Even the engineers at GM have told me that for my truck, does not need a weight distribution hitch, it is not needed. It's in the freaking owners manual!!! Why must you argue with facts? You guys have been so used to using them because you have vehicles that CANT handle the load. Then somebody comes along with a vehicle that can handle the load, and already everyone starts with saying how you have to have one, because I have one...

I have already found out the issue thank you very much. I just went over a cat scale. I am way overloaded with my supplies. I brought way too much stuff with me. That is what is causing issue with the tires and everything else, not the weight distribution hitch.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:16 PM   #15

Cheaperrooter I'm not an expert so won't' give you any advice.. But why come onto a forum ask questions and then tell everyone you know better than anyone else? Obviously your the expert, but, what your doing isn't working, that should tell you something. You come across very arrogant, perhaps your not, but why not just read what they have to say and then what you want. A WD certainly ties the rig to the Tv much more than just a ball does... Good luck

Old 02-15-2015, 12:22 PM   #16

If you get a weight ditribution hitch with sway control and initially set it up correctly you should be completely happy...and safe.

You are brand new here and came for answers/help so why ignore from those that have experience trying to help you?

Good luck and safe travels.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Old 02-15-2015, 12:22 PM   #17

SMS1115I’m with you we get our best mileage at your speeds and our Ford truck with toe package works best at that speed. You should always do what is safe for yourself and for others on the road.I would listen and evaluate all of the above advice I’m sure the answer is there somewhere. One last thought if the rear drops 1 foot what is that doing to the front weight as it relates to steering.The WD system will balance your truck front to back.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Geez... Here it comes. Already there has to be people to start bashing me. You all 100% percent incorrect. Even the engineers at GM have told me that for my truck, does not need a weight distribution hitch, it is not needed. It's in the freaking owners manual!!! Why must you argue with facts? You guys have been so used to using them because you have vehicles that CANT handle the load. Then somebody comes along with a vehicle that can handle the load, and already everyone starts with saying how you have to have one, because I have one...

I have already found out the issue thank you very much. I just went over a cat scale. I am way overloaded with my supplies. I brought way too much stuff with me. That is what is causing issue with the tires and everything else, not the weight distribution hitch.
You realize you aren't the only one with a 1 ton or larger truck on here correct? I own one as do the the majority of the users on this forum. You obviously know better us, so not sure why you came on here to ask us a question.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:57 PM   #19

Quote:

Yup. I've been on the receiving end of a JOF bash, and it ain't pretty. At One point the mods eventually deleted the entire thread.

Anyways, I think the travel trailer experiences different dynamics then an equipment trailer. Of course having too much load on the tires is not helpful...
But the TT is so much lighter, yet taller, and it's loads are not equally distributed like when we load a backhoe. The TT is just different.
That's why the inherent sway control that comes with a WDH helps keep crap in line.

The WDH most guys use helps them with sway more than the need to increase load capacity.

Heck, the sway control probably lets guys overload their trailer tires and not know it... Because they don't feel the squirrelly trailer.

So, welcome, and don't stop going against the grain. Lemmings need a reality check sometimes.

Craig
Old 02-15-2015, 01:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Cheaperrooter I'm not an expert so won't' give you any advice.. But why come onto a forum ask questions and then tell everyone you know better than anyone else? Obviously your the expert, but, what your doing isn't working, that should tell you something. You come across very arrogant, perhaps your not, but why not just read what they have to say and then what you want. A WD certainly ties the rig to the Tv much more than just a ball does... Good luck

The problem is simple. I did go back and read a lot of the replies, and the ones that were RELEVANT I applied. The ones I am ignoring, are the ones that are talking about a weight distribution hitch. At no time did I ask for advice on the weight distribution hitch? But yet, everyone wants to say things like you came on here and I cannot take advice. I am taking advice, concerning the issues that I said I was having, not to argue or debate ABOUT A WDH.

The ones who replied about it possibly being other things, are the ones I listen to. There are signs when you are towing that it's a weight distribution hitch problem. If you had read my original post, none of those signs were apparent. The weight distribution hitch in this case is not the issue, and my arrogance is better find as confidence, about subject matter that I have researched thoroughly. And I mean very thoroughly.

But yet, there are those, that just like to throw out how weight distribution hitch is the end all to every related towing problem. It is not. A 1 ton truck is designed to handle the simple load of a 1200 pound tongue weight. Do you not think when they designed this truck, that they know that kind of weight is applied to the rear of the truck, the front end of the truck comes in the play? That is not new news. To Anybody.

I am a very nice man. And I'm not arrogant at all. But don't offer advice that was not asked for, and then when I take exception with it, label me as being arrogant simply because I disagree with it.

And please don't start with the you "are new here whining." New to a formum has absolutely nothing to do with new to towing.

I have the debated the WDH debate as much as I care too. I asked nicely and politely to please not go there. Others insisted unfortunately at moving forth into the thread speaking of the attributes of weight distribution hitch when that wasn't what I asked for.

I listed specific questions at the bottom, and basically was trying to understand just how fast this truck and trailer should be able to successfully go on the highway with no issues. If I was asking too much to want to go 70 with it.

A couple of people actually answered those questions, and I thank you very much. But nobody has yet successfully answer the question I was trying to get to, instead, decided to start throwing out how the WDH was going to take care of it all. That is just incorrect.

And then, God forbid, when I have the audacity to respond negatively, to someone who has told me the answer to something I never asked for to begin with, and then, have the audacity, to actually disagree with them, I'm now labeled as being arrogant? Because I disagree with you? This is been researched and the conversation is over.

My specific combination does not require a WDH. Believe it or not, I don't care. But you keep going on and on with how it does, and then label me as arrogant for disagreeing with you, is ridiculous.

I'm sure it all revolves around the fact, that because you have to attach and haul around that ridiculous contraption every time you hook up your tow vehicle, that the concept of somebody just pulling up a ball and taking off is more than you can bare. So in order to get around that, you start calling me arrogant, new to the thread, not taking advice of others, blah blah blah.
Closed Thread