Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-22-2018, 07:39 AM   #1

Just ordered a TPMS

Just ordered a TST 507 TPMS for the Jay Flight 23RB. Something that I should have done sooner.

Got it from Great RV Products. The 4 Cap sensor system with monochrome monitor was $224. Ordered it yesterday and was shipped yesterday.

This kit comes with the new monochrome monitor, 4 cap sensors, power cord, a dash stand and window suction cup, and a repeater.

The same package with color monitor, is $297.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:50 AM   #2

That model saved me serious damage twice. Once, when the infamous Ranier tire belts separated and another after a blowout. When the belts separated, the tire did not blow, but the pressure dropped to 70psi immediately. TPMS alarmed and I was able to pull over and swap to spare. Good choice.

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:48 PM   #3

These are great. I really like the fact that I don't have to check each tire every morning. I filled up my tires the night before a trip, in the morning the alarm went off. Slow leak in the valve stem, saved me a lot of trouble.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 12:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
These are great. I really like the fact that I don't have to check each tire every morning. I filled up my tires the night before a trip, in the morning the alarm went off. Slow leak in the valve stem, saved me a lot of trouble.

I might have to look into this. Apparently on the back of the box it states to be used on metal valve stems. If you have rubber valve stems, have you had any problems?
Tommyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:06 PM   #5

Tst 507

Being running TST 507 for 6 or so years with rubber valve stems. Just some minor rubbing on the rims. No problems yet. Call the manufacture and see what they say.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 01:37 AM   #6

From what I've gathered, if flow thru sensors are used, then metal stems are a must have requirement. If the cap sensors are used, then regular rubber stems will work, especially if the locking mechanism isn't used.

All that said, I will put my cap sensors on my current rubber stems and see how it goes. Also, anytime I have to have a tire pulled, I'll go ahead and replace the rubber stem with a metal stem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyjay View Post
I might have to look into this. Apparently on the back of the box it states to be used on metal valve stems. If you have rubber valve stems, have you had any problems?

Old 11-25-2018, 06:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
The same thing happened to me 6-7 years ago and I have been carrying around a valve stem core tool for years also so quick fix before I ever left the campground.

My 507 system is 8 years old and still works great with the original monochrome monitor (I am actually hoping for the color one for Christmas). during this time in service I have had two wheel sensors fail, but I carry spares so a quick recode and back in service. I have the original sensors, not the flow through.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyjay View Post
I made two 250 mile trips with my original rubber valve stems and one of them started to crack right where the stem exited the rim. From flexing apparently. I had the valve stems all switched to metal and no more issue.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:40 AM   #9

Does each sensor come with a visible ID number so a person can know which one goes on which wheel, should they be taken off and mixed together.

Or does the owner have to mark each sensor in some manor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
The same thing happened to me 6-7 years ago and I have been carrying around a valve stem core tool for years also so quick fix before I ever left the campground.

My 507 system is 8 years old and still works great with the original monochrome monitor (I am actually hoping for the color one for Christmas). during this time in service I have had two wheel sensors fail, but I carry spares so a quick recode and back in service. I have the original sensors, not the flow through.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
Does each sensor come with a visible ID number so a person can know which one goes on which wheel, should they be taken off and mixed together.

Or does the owner have to mark each sensor in some manor?
I had to mark mine with an engraver.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:42 PM   #11
Site Team

They have a code on each sensor. When I remove mine, I store each of them in a separate baggie, with LR, RR, RF, LF marked on the bag. It's much easier than reading the code on the sensor.

Also the instructions that come with it have a diagram so you can enter the code for each wheel.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:41 PM   #12

Tire Monitor

I use Tire Safe Guard monitoring system. I am on my 3rd RV with it and I dolly tow. Had a blowout with the Dolly when we hit a driveshaft in the road!, (on 95 last summer heading up north from Fl). It went right in to alarm.

Its a pricey unit about $300 but well worth it. It does not require an extender. Its what most of the truckers use. Their Tech support is a one man show, Deon, but hes pretty responsive. He has pre-programmed my unit for me. it can be set up for RV and trailer. All tire sensors came factory identified.

If you have short rubber valves its not an issue. I have used them on my tow setup for about 11K miles on rubber valves without an issue. It's best to buy the flow through sensors so you don't have to remove them to add air to the tire.

John
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
I made two 250 mile trips with my original rubber valve stems and one of them started to crack right where the stem exited the rim. From flexing apparently. I had the valve stems all switched to metal and no more issue.
This has been one of my concerns with mounting the screw on type TPMS sensors on rubber valve stems. All of the value stems on my truck and trailer are rubber. I have to imagine those sensors are going to be placing some additional stress on the values stems when the tires are rotating at 60mph and during braking. Has anyone put 5K, 10K or 20K miles on a vehicle with rubber values stems and the screw on type TPMS without experiencing any issues with rubber valve stems cracking or leaking?

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
This has been one of my concerns with mounting the screw on type TPMS sensors on rubber valve stems. All of the value stems on my truck and trailer are rubber. I have to imagine those sensors are going to be placing some additional stress on the values stems when the tires are rotating at 60mph and during braking. Has anyone put 5K, 10K or 20K miles on a vehicle with rubber values stems and the screw on type TPMS without experiencing any issues with rubber valve stems cracking or leaking?
Just completed my 3rd year with Tire Minder A1A's and my valve stems still look good. No issues so far.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:19 PM   #15

I have use the TST 507 for about 6 years and love it.
bgelyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:37 PM   #16

Have been using flow throughs on both my snowmobile trailer (slush and ice) as well as on the TT on rubber valve stems for 4 years. Never a problem.. but perhaps should start to worry?! The system has worked great.
davolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:37 PM   #17

Congrats on your purchase! IMHO, they should be standard equipment, mine saved my bacon twice. While I bought a Progressive Ind. model, I believe having a good one is more important than which one you buy and TST gets great reviews.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:17 PM   #18

In 5 years that I ran the TST TPMS I had two valves go bad. They were leaking where they go in the wheel. Metal would be a good thing the next time you replace your tires, IMO. Mine was not the flow thru...but they must flex due to the speed because there was paint worn off the wheel from the TPMS sensor rubbing.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:18 AM   #19

Send a message via Skype™ to viking42
Tire Minder

I thought I was doing something good and used metal caps which corroded onto the stem of the flow through Tire Minder and I couldn’t get them of and broke off the stems. They should have had a big warning on the box. Had to buy all new sensors and was not pleased about it. Use plastic caps
viking42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:04 AM   #20

When we finally order our new Class C it will have them along with metal stems. Will also need a pair for the tow dolly that we will have.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote