Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-06-2019, 08:20 PM   #21

But you do get those nifty green valve caps
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:37 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
nitrogen ....... I think it's just a sales pitch when it comes to passenger cars
In my post I eluded to practical experience.

I have 7 vehicles right now, all garaged. Three came with nitrogen when new tires were purchased, the others are still factory oem.

Every Spring and fall I air up all the tires. The ones with nitrogen never need any to be added. The aired ones do.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
In my post I eluded to practical experience.

I have 7 vehicles right now, all garaged. Three came with nitrogen when new tires were purchased, the others are still factory oem.

Every Spring and fall I air up all the tires. The ones with nitrogen never need any to be added. The aired ones do.
It must be coincidence unless oxygen is reacting with the "rubber" or the wheel metal and is taken out of the gas mixture. Nitrogen molecules are a little smaller than oxygen and would be ever so slightly more likely to leak out.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:42 PM   #24

Paul, I believe in making sure that the tires are balanced. But, never figured rotating would make a difference as there are no "steer tires"... Thanks for the info.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
It must be coincidence unless oxygen is reacting with the "rubber" or the wheel metal and is taken out of the gas mixture. Nitrogen molecules are a little smaller than oxygen and would be ever so slightly more likely to leak out.
Aha...you fell into the trap. As I said in my original post (paraphrasing) "science vs. actual experience".

Molecular size is one thing. Permeation is yet another.

Anybody that tried N2 knows the difference, if they collected data along the way.

Google the phenomenon and maybe you'll understand. Lots of actual experience to show N2 is the way to go.

Disregard my data.....try it yourself on 2 vehicles both ways and make your own conclusions.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:33 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Eagle View Post
Interesting. I was under the impression that rotating the tires on a trailer wasn't necessary (the biggest priority being regular inspections and tire pressures).

Reason for not rotating them is none of the tires are steering nor are driven (power going to them from a motor). The alignment, so far as I know, is fixed also. That said, I suppose there is no harm in rotating them?

Primary to rotate modern radials is to even out irregular wear or prevent the irregular wear from getting worse by leaving it on the position where the irregular wear started.

In a 4 tire situation a "Forward X" is often suggested.

RR > LF
LR > RF
RF > RR
LF > LR

You might consider this at 3,000 to 5,000 miles. That would also be a good time to inspect closely and to do a "Free-Spin" inspection as seen in video in my blog.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:51 PM   #27

Quote:

Lastly, why bother to rotate them at all unless you are a road warrior. Most ST tires fall apart in 3-4 years, long before they wear out.

I agree, just keep an eye on them and the correct air pressure and hope for the best.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:12 PM   #28

Hey Paul, You say your trailer is a 2009. How old are your tires? I'm sure you're aware of the four digit date code on the sidewall; the first 2 digits indicate the week of manufacture and the last 2 digits indicate the last 2 digits of the year of manufacture.

It is widely recommended to replace trailer tires every 5 to 7 years with a maximum of 10 years.

Cheers,

Glenn
GLENNEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:16 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
I agree, just keep an eye on them and the correct air pressure and hope for the best.

I agree that rotating is not necessary for ST tire application BUT a close inspection for out of round or lateral run out or "wavy tread is something I STRONGLY suggest every 2,000 miles or once a year which ever comes first.

I only offered the rotation info for those that want to do it. Just wanted to answer the questions about direction of rotation etc from earlier posters.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLENNEM View Post

It is widely recommended to replace trailer tires every 5 to 7 years with a maximum of 10 years.
I disagree. Maybe just an opinion but based on practical experience.

If your weight requirements will allow the use of LT tires, then IMHO that's what you should buy and then the above replacement schedule is more in line.

But if you use ST tires and travel on the Interstate, then 10, or even 7 years, is very dangerous. Especially if they are radials, whether they are balanced and rotated or not.

The problem is that even if you do everything right, and inspect them before each trip, they could disintegrate after a couple hundred miles at highway speeds. Been there, done that. We had 4 year old tires come apart at 65 mph. Now, if i absolutely can't get LTs, we replace at 3 years.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:44 PM   #31

Other trailer tire thoughts

tires on passenger cars are balanced for more than ride, out of balance creates issues within the tire as well heavy spots slapping ground also is hard on tires and springs bushings etc. Beyond even left to right, how about fore and aft, a level ride will contribute to better tire wear wear as well, the trailer tires always scrub the less loaded axle. There is always a center pivot point some where between the axles so an even loading will Center that Pivot Point between the axles saving the tires for as long as possible. Remember all tires and axles have loading ratings. Approaching the full load is asking for trouble also, increasing the heat built up as you run to the next campfire and your favorite beverage.
Your thoughts?
Kdernst3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:52 PM   #32

Air is 78 percent nitrogen. Is the 21 percent oxygen that important?

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 03:06 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
Air is 78 percent nitrogen. Is the 21 percent oxygen that important?
Excellent point Kim!
Old 12-11-2019, 03:33 PM   #34

Hey gypsmjim, I agree with you, to a point. The 5, 7 & 10 years are on the farther end of the scale. However, I would be reluctant to replace $800 worth of tires at 3 years.

A friend of mine just had a nasty blow-out that tore up the wheel well on his 5th wheel. So I checked the date on my tires, they're 10 years old, YIKES! My current tires are Goodyear ST205/75R14 Load Range C. I am planning on purchasing Carlisle Radial Trail HD ST205/75R14 Load Range D tires before my next trip.

From what I've read around the net, LT tire are not recommended for travel trailer use.

Cheers,

Glenn
Old 12-11-2019, 03:50 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLENNEM View Post
Hey gypsmjim, I agree with you, to a point. The 5, 7 & 10 years are on the farther end of the scale. However, I would be reluctant to replace $800 worth of tires at 3 years.

A friend of mine just had a nasty blow-out that tore up the wheel well on his 5th wheel. So I checked the date on my tires, they're 10 years old, YIKES! My current tires are Goodyear ST205/75R14 Load Range C. I am planning on purchasing Carlisle Radial Trail HD ST205/75R14 Load Range D tires before my next trip.

From what I've read around the net, LT tire are not recommended for travel trailer use.

Cheers,

Glenn
I ran a set of P tires for 20 years without a problem. Granted they were well maintained and always kept out of the sun, but even the sidewalls showed no cracking. Of course, they were USA made Goodyears. I shouldn't have waited that long. I'll have to admit ignorance and laziness - I have no excuse.

I have also run LTs for 10 years also without a problem.

The only problem was a set of STs on a single axle trailer. The blowup happened on a late Sunday. With the towtruck, and all the other expenses, the cost was more than 3 sets of new tires.

Trailer tires are special - the sidewalls are blah blah blah and a car tire can't be used because they were designed for a steering axle, blah blah blah. So tell me, what's the difference between a trailer axle and the rear axle of a FWD car?

Of all the complaints about RV quality and such, no complaints even approach those of tires on any web site that talks about any type of trailer. No thank you, I won't listen to the talking heads and buy LTs whenever possible.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:19 PM   #36

Quote:
Trailer tires are special - the sidewalls are blah blah blah and a car tire can't be used because they were designed for a steering axle, blah blah blah. So tell me, what's the difference between a trailer axle and the rear axle of a FWD car?

Of all the complaints about RV quality and such, no complaints even approach those of tires on any web site that talks about any type of trailer. No thank you, I won't listen to the talking heads and buy LTs whenever possible.
Fair enough.

Cheers,

Glenn
Old 12-11-2019, 04:49 PM   #37

Just Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
I use a blend that has 78% Nitrogen. That seems to work for me.
It's hard to get that mix of oxygen and nitrogen just right....just saying.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:46 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
It's hard to get that mix of oxygen and nitrogen just right....just saying.
Hey Dave, just set the mixer valve on your compressor 2 clicks to the right.

Cheers,

Glenn
Old 12-11-2019, 05:47 PM   #39

Trailers can get out of alignment, and the alignment can be adjusted. I noticed the beginning of really bad wear, got it fixed. One wheel was way off, and I think it affected my mileage?
Rotation? Not on the first set, yes ever since then. It seems to make a difference.
Since almost every trip is a slightly different environment, I can't be sure. Maybe if I were making the same trip time after time I could actually compare rotation effectiveness.
Trailer tires get lots of stress to the side, so I continue with trailer tires and keep no longer than five years. So far, I'm wearing them out after 3-4 years.
I've been using Carlisle, changing to Goodyear on the next set (next year).
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:23 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
I use a blend that has 78% Nitrogen. That seems to work for me.
Would that blend be called air? I also use that exclusive blend. BTY, Consumer Reports recently stated that using nitrogen for tires had no benefit, no value.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote