Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2014, 10:28 AM   #11

Wow! This exposed the generation gap on this forum. Us older members who believe in discipline being applied when and where needed, and the younger generation who would rather just let it slide, instead of possibly rocking the boat. "Don't make me put my phone down..."
If telling them a couple of times doesn't sink in, then it is time for further action. Repeatedly saying the same thing over and over and expecting them to suddenly listen and pay attention is just taking the easy way out. No different than training your pet, except that dogs seem to pay more attention than most children these days.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:47 AM   #12

I make my daughter "practice" closing a door the proper way for 15 minutes after she slams her bedroom door or the door on the TT and explain to her what can break if she keeps doing that. At home, I take her door completely off the hinges for a few days if she didn't get the message the first time.

Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobx2 View Post
Wow! This exposed the generation gap on this forum. Us older members who believe in discipline being applied when and where needed, and the younger generation who would rather just let it slide, instead of possibly rocking the boat. "Don't make me put my phone down..."
If telling them a couple of times doesn't sink in, then it is time for further action. Repeatedly saying the same thing over and over and expecting them to suddenly listen and pay attention is just taking the easy way out. No different than training your pet, except that dogs seem to pay more attention than most children these days.
X2. I see a very different way that parents are raising kids than we did, or how we were raised. Parents are asking their kids to do or not to do something instead of setting clear, non-negotiable guidelines. Kids need to know where they stand, not be given a choice in many things, and what's wrong with that? Yelling doesn't work. 25 years ago when my daughter was a kid I would not have paddled her for simply not closing the camper door. But it would have happened exactly twice. The second notice would have been all that was needed. Why, because she knew we'd simply take away some privilege. Far more effective than corporal punishment.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:17 AM   #14

Oop! Double post. So sorry!
Old 07-15-2014, 11:42 AM   #15

I hope your husband doesn't "pop your behind" if you forget to do something. Or would that be considered assault?

I'm not a fan of old school discipline. If you REALLY research it, it's wrong on so many levels.

As far as the door, my youngest son is 3 so he can't get into the trailer yet. I'm sure that issue will arise when he is tall enough. I have to say he has mastered taking off his shoes before entering the trailer like a champ.

Edited to add: I'm 47 with 7 children. Ages range from 29 to 1 year of age. Yes ALL mine
WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:36 PM   #16

I think Bobx2 hit the nail right on the head.....it's a generational thing. I wouldn't expect everyone to agree with me and that's their right. Neither would I suggest that others should follow my lead, I think each parent has to figure this out for themselves based on their beliefs and circumstances in the home. But, if you spend anytime with kids in the classroom or in a public place where kids are unchaperoned you would have to stick your head in the sand so as not to see that there is a distinct level of undisciplined out of control children growing up today. What ever the new age thought is........it ain't working. Like I said there is a big difference between discipline and abuse, and I would be the first one to step in an abusive situation much to the dismay of my wife who tells me I'm gonna get beat down someday.

Jayco Jay Series 1206
Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi
Lifespalette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:15 PM   #17

To this day, my dad yells "your either in or your out" if the door is open for more than 15 seconds... Oh the memories. Anyone who has camped in west Michigan over the last 37 years may have heard that clear across the campground... Yep, that was me he was yelling at. Now days, he's just yelling at the grandkids and we all poke fun at him when he says it

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:43 PM   #18

Ok...first of all the OP asked for a solution to have his door close automatically if the kids left it open. I have yet to see an answer to that request yet unless i missed it. In that case I'm sorry. Kids are kids. I don't believe in spanking them. It accomplishes nothing. I believe there are creative ways to discipline that really work. See below.

I have a coworker though who had the completely opposite problem with his 8yr old at the time. She would go to her room when she got mad and slam the door. He went to her room and took the door hinge pins out and removed the door. It remained off the hinges for 6 months. He never had another door slammed in the house again. Today she is 11 and the sweetest and polite 11 yr old. I wish I had thought of that when my daughter did that growing up. I just let her slam it and let her simmer down. She would eventually come out and apologize.

2015 Jayco 24FBS Elite Jay Flight
2013 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4X4 6.0L 3.73 Axle
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller
Equal-i-zer Hitch 10k/1000
Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:47 PM   #19

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowtoy View Post
To this day, my dad yells "your either in or your out" if the door is open for more than 15 seconds... Oh the memories. Anyone who has camped in west Michigan over the last 37 years may have heard that clear across the campground... Yep, that was me he was yelling at. Now days, he's just yelling at the grandkids and we all poke fun at him when he says it
I think your relatives are camping across from us right now. I heard that exact same line twice last night.

2015 Jayco 24FBS Elite Jay Flight
2013 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4X4 6.0L 3.73 Axle
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller
Equal-i-zer Hitch 10k/1000
Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:03 PM   #20

Facing the same thing with our grands as they visited here at the lake this summer. On this go around, its a houseboat as the TT sits idle in the back yard waiting for fall camping season. Same issues though including closing the doors, not going in to the boat after walking out of the lake and standing by the fridge in a puddle etc etc. My wife figured a pretty good way to get them not to waste water [running it while brushing teeth or watching each other wash their hands]. The solution was this "we run out of water and we take the boat back to the dock". Problem solved!

Its not so much what you do, just that you do it when you say what the consequence will be. No threats just a promise. And to the less seniors among us I say, "we grandparents wouldn't have to teach your kids proper manners if they learned them at home". End of story.

Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote