Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2014, 04:31 PM   #1

Kids and Doors

What's your best trick for getting your kids to close the door after they go in and out of the camper?

I must has said "close the door" a thousand times today. Surely there must be a mod for this!
turkii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:35 PM   #2

If you solve that problem write a book and share the secret. I have 3 kids, and this issue is just on the trailer, I feel at times I run a hostle for flys and am providing AC to plants in the yard.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:37 PM   #3

I have a rule that my kids aren't allowed to use the door, they need an adult to open or close it for them. Also helps with keeping tabs on who's in or out.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:12 PM   #4

I think the problem is in saying it "a thousand times"....... how about 1 time. The second time they go out and leave it open, it gets locked behind them. Thank God, my grandkids know that if grandpa or grandma have to use their full Christian name they're not far from getting the behind warmed.

Grandma and grandpa are old school!

Jayco Jay Series 1206
Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi
Lifespalette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifespalette View Post
I think the problem is in saying it "a thousand times"....... how about 1 time. The second time they go out and leave it open, it gets locked behind them. Thank God, my grandkids know that if grandpa or grandma have to use their full Christian name they're not far from getting the behind warmed.

Grandma and grandpa are old school!
Or Grandma and Grandpa have a skewed since of reality since they only spend a very small percentage of time with their grandkids as compared to the amount of time parents spend with their kids. At least that is how it is in my family -- I hear this same kind of rhetoric from my dad who spends about 1% of the amount of time I do with my kids.

And really, you think locking out, or better spanking, a 5 or 6 year old will teach them about closing a door...get a grip.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:15 PM   #6

I say go to it steve and lisa. It may not be what some think is proper, but it needs to start some where things like natural consequences or a little discipline , think about it
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:44 PM   #7

Consequences. They close the door or they don't use it. Kids (and people) need consequences and boundaries.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:49 PM   #8

@kellys -- agree consequences for actions are necessary and proper. Does leaving a door open justify a spanking?

Would my parents ever see a grandkid again if I learned they spanked kid over something like a door being left open? Absolutely not.

Should they do something that warrants such a response -- perfectly fine with that.

If open doors = locked out or spanked. What would happen if they threw a ball through the window or scratched a car with their bike.

But I'm sure you or your kids never did anything like that while growing up. That old school raising ensured these things of things never happened.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:36 AM   #9

Look folks - I'm not trying to debate the merits of child rearing. Quite frankly I'd personally like to let my kids enjoy their summers and be kids.

Camping is an incredibly fun activity and inevitably my kid's excitement is going to overtake their remembrance of closing my doors.

You guys go ahead and spank your grand kids all you want - I think I'll run to Lowes to see if they have any recommendations for some type of door closer instead.
turkii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:33 AM   #10

actually clubhouse, we have yet to find ourselves in the position of having to pop one of the grandkid's behinds. Their mother is doing an excellent job of raising them to respect authority and their elders. Yes, their excitement does get out of hand and a full use of their Christian name is all it takes to get the message across. Because they know the next step isn't a pleasant experience for any of us..... and I'm not talking about a beating or a dozen lashes with a belt. There's a big difference between disciplining a child and abusing a child. Far too many children now days have absolutely no concept of discipline......and far too many parents have substituted abuse for discipline. Our grandkids have had their behinds popped by both momma and daddy and they know that grandpa and grandma have been given permission to administer discipline if needed..........fortunately, both grandpa and grandma haven't lost the tone of voice that gets the message across. My grandkids all use "sir and mam" when speaking to adults (family or strangers), they say "please, thank you and may I" with the ease of any other part of their vocabulary. They know how to be part of a conversation without butting in.....

For what it's worth, neither kittypa or gramkitties (nicknames the kids gave us due to the cats we own as opposed to great grandmother, dogmaw for her dogs) would have to go to that next step...........besides, when we have gone camping with them with their parents, the last place you'll find these kids is inside. From just before sun up to sun set and well into the night they are outside fishing, playing exploring, riding their bikes or running around with other kids in the CG doing the same thing.

The biggest challenge isn't getting them to "close the door" it's getting them in for the night. By time the nightly ritual of making smores over the campfire. everybody discussing what the best part of their day was and just relaxing by the fire enjoying the night sky is done, we usually end up carrying the 2 youngest to their beds.

I know that ideology is not in line with today's politically correctness, but from time to time I substitute teach in our local public schools and I can assure you the present ideology isn't working and the ones who are paying for it are our children.

And to answer your questions Clubhouse... no leaving a door open doesn't justify a pop on the behind, ignoring the admonishment to shut the door 2 or 3 times would merit the discipline. The broken window doesn't result in a pop (unless they had already been warned multiply times) it results in them paying for the glass to replace the window and believe me, having to dig into their piggy banks is the end of the world.

Both of our kids were raised with the understanding that a pop on the behind was a last resort option, the key is not letting it get to that extreme in the first place. Now our kids are raising the grandkids with the same mind set and we've got 2 grandkids in highschool that are on their way to college on academic and band scholarships, we have 2 more that are already in Mensa and every one of them in school are straight "A" students, active in clubs or sports and they all know that just like gates on the farm, doors are to be closed when you go through them.

Jayco Jay Series 1206
Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi
Old 07-15-2014, 09:28 AM   #11

Wow! This exposed the generation gap on this forum. Us older members who believe in discipline being applied when and where needed, and the younger generation who would rather just let it slide, instead of possibly rocking the boat. "Don't make me put my phone down..."
If telling them a couple of times doesn't sink in, then it is time for further action. Repeatedly saying the same thing over and over and expecting them to suddenly listen and pay attention is just taking the easy way out. No different than training your pet, except that dogs seem to pay more attention than most children these days.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:47 AM   #12

I make my daughter "practice" closing a door the proper way for 15 minutes after she slams her bedroom door or the door on the TT and explain to her what can break if she keeps doing that. At home, I take her door completely off the hinges for a few days if she didn't get the message the first time.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobx2 View Post
Wow! This exposed the generation gap on this forum. Us older members who believe in discipline being applied when and where needed, and the younger generation who would rather just let it slide, instead of possibly rocking the boat. "Don't make me put my phone down..."
If telling them a couple of times doesn't sink in, then it is time for further action. Repeatedly saying the same thing over and over and expecting them to suddenly listen and pay attention is just taking the easy way out. No different than training your pet, except that dogs seem to pay more attention than most children these days.
X2. I see a very different way that parents are raising kids than we did, or how we were raised. Parents are asking their kids to do or not to do something instead of setting clear, non-negotiable guidelines. Kids need to know where they stand, not be given a choice in many things, and what's wrong with that? Yelling doesn't work. 25 years ago when my daughter was a kid I would not have paddled her for simply not closing the camper door. But it would have happened exactly twice. The second notice would have been all that was needed. Why, because she knew we'd simply take away some privilege. Far more effective than corporal punishment.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:17 AM   #14

Oop! Double post. So sorry!
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:42 AM   #15

I hope your husband doesn't "pop your behind" if you forget to do something. Or would that be considered assault?

I'm not a fan of old school discipline. If you REALLY research it, it's wrong on so many levels.

As far as the door, my youngest son is 3 so he can't get into the trailer yet. I'm sure that issue will arise when he is tall enough. I have to say he has mastered taking off his shoes before entering the trailer like a champ.

Edited to add: I'm 47 with 7 children. Ages range from 29 to 1 year of age. Yes ALL mine
WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:36 PM   #16

I think Bobx2 hit the nail right on the head.....it's a generational thing. I wouldn't expect everyone to agree with me and that's their right. Neither would I suggest that others should follow my lead, I think each parent has to figure this out for themselves based on their beliefs and circumstances in the home. But, if you spend anytime with kids in the classroom or in a public place where kids are unchaperoned you would have to stick your head in the sand so as not to see that there is a distinct level of undisciplined out of control children growing up today. What ever the new age thought is........it ain't working. Like I said there is a big difference between discipline and abuse, and I would be the first one to step in an abusive situation much to the dismay of my wife who tells me I'm gonna get beat down someday.

Jayco Jay Series 1206
Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi
Old 07-15-2014, 03:15 PM   #17

To this day, my dad yells "your either in or your out" if the door is open for more than 15 seconds... Oh the memories. Anyone who has camped in west Michigan over the last 37 years may have heard that clear across the campground... Yep, that was me he was yelling at. Now days, he's just yelling at the grandkids and we all poke fun at him when he says it

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:43 PM   #18

Ok...first of all the OP asked for a solution to have his door close automatically if the kids left it open. I have yet to see an answer to that request yet unless i missed it. In that case I'm sorry. Kids are kids. I don't believe in spanking them. It accomplishes nothing. I believe there are creative ways to discipline that really work. See below.

I have a coworker though who had the completely opposite problem with his 8yr old at the time. She would go to her room when she got mad and slam the door. He went to her room and took the door hinge pins out and removed the door. It remained off the hinges for 6 months. He never had another door slammed in the house again. Today she is 11 and the sweetest and polite 11 yr old. I wish I had thought of that when my daughter did that growing up. I just let her slam it and let her simmer down. She would eventually come out and apologize.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:47 PM   #19

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowtoy View Post
To this day, my dad yells "your either in or your out" if the door is open for more than 15 seconds... Oh the memories. Anyone who has camped in west Michigan over the last 37 years may have heard that clear across the campground... Yep, that was me he was yelling at. Now days, he's just yelling at the grandkids and we all poke fun at him when he says it
I think your relatives are camping across from us right now. I heard that exact same line twice last night.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:03 PM   #20

Facing the same thing with our grands as they visited here at the lake this summer. On this go around, its a houseboat as the TT sits idle in the back yard waiting for fall camping season. Same issues though including closing the doors, not going in to the boat after walking out of the lake and standing by the fridge in a puddle etc etc. My wife figured a pretty good way to get them not to waste water [running it while brushing teeth or watching each other wash their hands]. The solution was this "we run out of water and we take the boat back to the dock". Problem solved!

Its not so much what you do, just that you do it when you say what the consequence will be. No threats just a promise. And to the less seniors among us I say, "we grandparents wouldn't have to teach your kids proper manners if they learned them at home". End of story.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote