Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2015, 08:32 AM   #1

Kitchen Sink is Shoddy!

I put a hot fork in my kitchen sink and it put holes in it! I had no idea these sinks were so flimsy. I have a 2012 Jayflight RLS. It's one of these white double bowl sinks that I guess comes standard with the Jayco travel trailers. I suppose I could caulk the holes, but eventually want to replace the sink with a stainless steel. Any suggestions as to where to look for a replacement? I know I can get one through the dealer, but I think it would be cheaper elsewhere.
hossismydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:46 AM   #2

I worried about the same thing happening on our 2015 Jay Flight 23rb! I didn't realize how good I had it with my porcelain sink in my old TT. Good luck with finding a replacement!
gloryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:53 AM   #3

Although it would be frustrating, I not sure you can blame the sink on this one. Putting hot metal on anything plastic would likely result in damage. You may try some of the big-box home repair stores, they may by chance have something that would fit. Otherwise Google RV parts supliers and see if you get any results. Good Luck
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:09 AM   #4

Lowes/Home Depot sinks will work...just a tad heavier. Measure accurately.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:26 AM   #5

Yea, they are just plastic. Easy to stain too. We wash most dishes outside and only rinse things in the sink. We use an old utensil holder in the sink that came from an old dishwasher.

Funny thing is that our pop-up had a stainless steel sink, but neither hybrid we own(ed) has one.

Sounds like a good mod!
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRT View Post
Although it would be frustrating, I not sure you can blame the sink on this one. Putting hot metal on anything plastic would likely result in damage. You may try some of the big-box home repair stores, they may by chance have something that would fit. Otherwise Google RV parts supliers and see if you get any results. Good Luck
I wouldn't blame the sink! I think it has to do with cheaper materials being used in the travel trailers for either cost effectiveness or to "lighten them up". In any case I would rather have paid a little more and had a stainless steel sink that could withstand the test of time than a plastic Tupperware-like (and nothing against Tupperware) sink in my TT kitchen. On our maiden voyage in our new TT I luckily had second thoughts before putting the hot dog roaster fork in the sink, something I wouldn't have given another thought to in the old TT. A person shouldn't have to purchase a new trailer and then start replacing things that could have/should have been done with a little higher quality to start with.

Well, that's my rant for the day. I promise.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:02 AM   #7

The sink is so thin that when we shone a flashlight, the light came right through it! We only had the camper for a year and keep it spotless. It just a bit depressing that I did a dumb thing and put a hot fork in there. I never gave it a thought. I used to have a pop-up with a stainless steel sink that could withstand pretty much anything.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:04 AM   #8

I also read on another blog where someone spilled Skin So Soft in their bathroom sink and it melted it because it has acetone in it. Who would have thought that would ever happen?
Old 04-23-2015, 10:11 AM   #9
Site Team

Personally, I think similar results would have resulted had you put that hot fork in any RV manufacturer's unit equipped with a plastic sink. However, I'm not going to put a hot fork in the plastic sink of my 15 YO Jayco Eagle to prove my claim.

The next time I visit my TT, I'll have to give it the flashlight test and see if the light shines through.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:27 AM   #10

Maybe get a piece of "cutting board type" plastic and cut it to fit inside and lay on the bottom. As a cheap fix of course.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:45 AM   #11

I wonder if some clear silicone caulk would work to fill the holes? I have now bought the dish drain pads from Dollar Tree to put in the bottom of the little side of the sink to drain dishes on so as not to scratch it and I'm going to use my little trusty "dish pans" from hospital stays to wash my dishes in on the bigger side of the sink.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:31 PM   #12

Wife did ours with a match. I patched the hole with epoxy and color matched the paint.
tawoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossismydog View Post
I suppose I could caulk the holes, but eventually want to replace the sink with a stainless steel. Any suggestions as to where to look for a replacement? I know I can get one through the dealer, but I think it would be cheaper elsewhere.
All kinds of stainless steel sinks for RVs here: RV Sinks Stainless Sinks For RVs, Motorhome Sink, Trailer Sink, Camper Sink, Round Stainless Sink, Oval Stainless Sink, RV Sink, Double Bowl RV Sink, Double Bowl Stainless Sink

Plenty of RV sinks here, too: http://www.rvpartscountry.com/RvSinks

Not sure any of them will fit your rig, but it's worth a look!

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:58 PM   #14

Had my kitchen sink replaced under warranty last fall as it had a crack in it. I was lucky to have caught it before it caused any water damage. You are right they are very thin. If it cracks again I will replace it with a SS one.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:03 PM   #15

I knew I needed to be careful with our sink when I was under there looking at the water pump and I didn't need a flashlight because the light from the kitchen window shone through the sink enough for me to see what I was doing under there!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:09 PM   #16

Are these the resin sinks that Jayco came out with about three years ago that were supposed to be stronger and more heat resistant than the former stainless steel sinks?
Old 04-23-2015, 07:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloryb View Post
I wonder if some clear silicone caulk would work to fill the holes? I have now bought the dish drain pads from Dollar Tree to put in the bottom of the little side of the sink to drain dishes on so as not to scratch it and I'm going to use my little trusty "dish pans" from hospital stays to wash my dishes in on the bigger side of the sink.
I would try a white or clear epoxy, less than $10.00 and would probably last forever. The silicone would likely peel and stain.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:14 PM   #18

At least you didn't put that hot fork in your mouth!

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:46 AM   #19

A couple of things may help you out:

#1 You can pick up some epoxy putty at Home Depot (the paint dept.) that is designed for use on plastic/fiberglass/PVC. Just clean the area with alcohol, pull off a plug, knead it until it becomes one solid color (off-white), and press it into place. It'll set up in about 10 minutes and cure in a couple of hours. It's waterproof, so it should last forever. If you put it on the underside, you may not even see the repair from the top side (depending on the size of the hole).

#2 If you go for a replacement sink, keep in mind that your RV sink is not the same size as a household kitchen sink. It's a lot smaller. You can probably order a replacement sink the same size from Home Depot in either acrylic, quartz, or stainless steel. Being a "non-standard" size, it will cost quite a bit, though. Finding the same sink at an RV dealer may be less money. If your countertop is laminate (Formica) like mine, you can cut the hole larger with a jigsaw or a Dremmel Tool to accommodate a larger sink. Just make sure it will fit into the cabinet below the sink.

#3 If you repair it, or replace it with a similar product, be very careful of heat. Thermal shock can be as destructive as direct heat. I always recommend running warm water into a cold sink before you dump hot water into it - like when you drain pasta. The warm water will temper the sink so it doesn't crack from the rapid expansion of "thermal shock".

Just my 2 cents!
Old 04-26-2015, 08:03 AM   #20

RV Kitchen sinks on Amazon: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/search/re...qid=1430056887

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote