Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2015, 09:32 AM   #1

Kitchen Sink is Shoddy!

I put a hot fork in my kitchen sink and it put holes in it! I had no idea these sinks were so flimsy. I have a 2012 Jayflight RLS. It's one of these white double bowl sinks that I guess comes standard with the Jayco travel trailers. I suppose I could caulk the holes, but eventually want to replace the sink with a stainless steel. Any suggestions as to where to look for a replacement? I know I can get one through the dealer, but I think it would be cheaper elsewhere.

hossismydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:46 AM   #2

I worried about the same thing happening on our 2015 Jay Flight 23rb! I didn't realize how good I had it with my porcelain sink in my old TT. Good luck with finding a replacement!

gloryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:53 AM   #3

Although it would be frustrating, I not sure you can blame the sink on this one. Putting hot metal on anything plastic would likely result in damage. You may try some of the big-box home repair stores, they may by chance have something that would fit. Otherwise Google RV parts supliers and see if you get any results. Good Luck
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:09 AM   #4

Lowes/Home Depot sinks will work...just a tad heavier. Measure accurately.
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:26 AM   #5

Yea, they are just plastic. Easy to stain too. We wash most dishes outside and only rinse things in the sink. We use an old utensil holder in the sink that came from an old dishwasher.

Funny thing is that our pop-up had a stainless steel sink, but neither hybrid we own(ed) has one.

Sounds like a good mod!
Old 04-23-2015, 10:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRT View Post
Although it would be frustrating, I not sure you can blame the sink on this one. Putting hot metal on anything plastic would likely result in damage. You may try some of the big-box home repair stores, they may by chance have something that would fit. Otherwise Google RV parts supliers and see if you get any results. Good Luck
I wouldn't blame the sink! I think it has to do with cheaper materials being used in the travel trailers for either cost effectiveness or to "lighten them up". In any case I would rather have paid a little more and had a stainless steel sink that could withstand the test of time than a plastic Tupperware-like (and nothing against Tupperware) sink in my TT kitchen. On our maiden voyage in our new TT I luckily had second thoughts before putting the hot dog roaster fork in the sink, something I wouldn't have given another thought to in the old TT. A person shouldn't have to purchase a new trailer and then start replacing things that could have/should have been done with a little higher quality to start with.

Well, that's my rant for the day. I promise.
gloryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:02 AM   #7

The sink is so thin that when we shone a flashlight, the light came right through it! We only had the camper for a year and keep it spotless. It just a bit depressing that I did a dumb thing and put a hot fork in there. I never gave it a thought. I used to have a pop-up with a stainless steel sink that could withstand pretty much anything.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:04 AM   #8

I also read on another blog where someone spilled Skin So Soft in their bathroom sink and it melted it because it has acetone in it. Who would have thought that would ever happen?
Old 04-23-2015, 11:11 AM   #9
Site Team

Personally, I think similar results would have resulted had you put that hot fork in any RV manufacturer's unit equipped with a plastic sink. However, I'm not going to put a hot fork in the plastic sink of my 15 YO Jayco Eagle to prove my claim.

The next time I visit my TT, I'll have to give it the flashlight test and see if the light shines through.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT -- 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!
FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:27 AM   #10

Maybe get a piece of "cutting board type" plastic and cut it to fit inside and lay on the bottom. As a cheap fix of course.

Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote