Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-19-2023, 12:33 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglehaslanded View Post
I’m a retired roofer after 40 years. I’m not a fan of the telescoping type ladders but they’d probably be fine for their easability for storing. My Eagle has a rear mounted ladder and it’s nice and sturdy. If I’m working from or on the roof of my trailer, I’ll use a rope with a spring hook on the end and pull my tools, portable chain saw, etc with a 5 gal bucket. You can of course replace the bucket with a small tool bag or anything with handles to hook up to. The spring hook allows you to work by yourself without having to play games with a hook that doesn’t want to stay put while you’re climbing the ladder. Just my 2 cents.
I was also a roofer for a few years in my youth ( comp,shakes,hot—used a stripper and can still roll nails). Using a rope and bucket is great advice. I always tied the rope to the bucket. I’ll use your spring clip idea. I’ve never been on a telescoping ladder before. You folks that use one does it wobble when you use it? The picture below is what I use it is stable ,but it is heavy ( 37lbs)and a little bulky to take with us?
Attached Thumbnails
6A1939D0-D70A-413C-A648-496F3398D44F.jpg  
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 01:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy wife / happy life View Post
I was also a roofer for a few years in my youth ( comp,shakes,hot—used a stripper and can still roll nails). Using a rope and bucket is great advice. I always tied the rope to the bucket. I’ll use your spring clip idea. I’ve never been on a telescoping ladder before. You folks that use one does it wobble when you use it? The picture below is what I use it is stable ,but it is heavy ( 37lbs)and a little bulky to take with us?
Yes, there is a little “flex” on the telescoping ladders. But it’s not terrible (and I’m no big fan of heights) once you use it. I spent a little more on one that has “outrigger feet” that fold out for a little more stability but it weighs about what yours does. In my 3/4-ton truck it’s no problem. As for buckets—I picked up one of these at Harbor Freight for $15. I use it on the sailboat but it would be perfect on a TT roof. Soft sides and sits nice and stable.
Attached Thumbnails
16D44F56-9CD6-4885-83BF-441E78BA8A16.jpeg   57B088E5-0177-4BCD-B18E-84C7D1761028.jpeg  
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 02:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Yes, there is a little “flex” on the telescoping ladders. But it’s not terrible (and I’m no big fan of heights) once you use it. I spent a little more on one that has “outrigger feet” that fold out for a little more stability but it weighs about what yours does. In my 3/4-ton truck it’s no problem. As for buckets—I picked up one of these at Harbor Freight for $15. I use it on the sailboat but it would be perfect on a TT roof. Soft sides and sits nice and stable.
I think I’ll stick with my ladder, but I see a trip to Harbor Freight in the very near future ( as soon as it quits frick’en raining)!
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 02:41 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy wife / happy life View Post
I think I’ll stick with my ladder, but I see a trip to Harbor Freight in the very near future ( as soon as it quits frick’en raining)!
That will be some time in June!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 04-14-2023, 11:26 AM   #25

telescoping ladder question

I am considering getting a telescoping ladder and was wondering how long it should be. My trailer is 9'9" high (10.5' including AC). Is it better for the top of the ladder to extend a beyond the roof for ease or security in getting on or off of the roof (e.g. 12.5' ladder), or does this matter (e.g. 10.5' ladder)?
Macmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 06:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macmorris View Post
I am considering getting a telescoping ladder and was wondering how long it should be. My trailer is 9'9" high (10.5' including AC). Is it better for the top of the ladder to extend a beyond the roof for ease or security in getting on or off of the roof (e.g. 12.5' ladder), or does this matter (e.g. 10.5' ladder)?
Mine is 12.5. I like having a foot or more above the roof edge to hold onto. I throw a folded up towel behind it to cushion where it touches the edge.