Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-12-2023, 08:02 AM   #1

Ladder to roof?

Hi,
Prepping for our 2nd season. Our 2016 287BHSW does not have an exterior ladder for reaching roof. I would like to avoid having to haul my little giant on every trip. Can an aftermarket ladder be attached? My friend says that if we don’t have an oem external ladder, I shouldn’t be on the roof.
Thanks, Steve
DelawareSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 08:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelawareSteve View Post
Hi,
Prepping for our 2nd season. Our 2016 287BHSW does not have an exterior ladder for reaching roof. I would like to avoid having to haul my little giant on every trip. Can an aftermarket ladder be attached? My friend says that if we don’t have an oem external ladder, I shouldn’t be on the roof.
Thanks, Steve
Having or not having a ladder has nothing to do with the roof. For some rigs it was an option, if that was the case the support blocking may be in the walls. If not there would be nothing to mount the ladder on to support it. Contact JAYCO and ask for the rear framing diagrams to see if the blocking is there.

https://www.jayco.com/contact-towable-service/
Old 03-12-2023, 08:22 AM   #3

The roofs are designed to be walkable. Have you considered a telescoping ladder?

https://www.amazon.com/Telescoping-L...fos.f5122f16-c

When you contact Jayco, make sure to have your vin number.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 08:35 AM   #4

I have always found the rear ladders extremely difficult to navigate especcilay with tools or supplies in hand. The straight up and down config and my age combine to make it a dangerous climb.

I carry a telescoping ladder that I can set at an angle for roof access. I wrap towels around the top arms of the ladder to add some protection to the trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/Telescoping-L...2-63e904010ad0
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 11:35 AM   #5

The no ladder, no walking rule if thumb was a good guide for many decades. But starting around the early part of the 21st Century, RV manufacturers could save a few bucks by making it an option and allowing the dealers to make a few bucks selling and installing. Then there was a global pandemic in the early 2020s which caused supply chain issues and now the old adage just isn't as accurate.

Good luck with your project.
Old 03-12-2023, 05:08 PM   #6

Thanks, I’ve hesitated to use the telescopic ladder because I didn’t think they were tall enough to get on the roof. I’ll check them out-can always return it, if I’m not comfortable with it.
Steve
Old 03-12-2023, 05:53 PM   #7

I have a roof ladder, I don't like it. Its quite flimsy and its two more protrusions into the roof that need to be monitored.

I have a 12' telescoping ladder that I bring with me and works MUCH better. No worries about leaking. I did add a pool noodle to the top so when it leans against my siding it hopefully doesn't crease the siding.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 07:49 PM   #8

Thanks for the suggestions, going to go with the telescoping ladder. Next is to Eternabond our seams and install MaxxAir vent hood(?).
Old 03-13-2023, 02:24 AM   #9

Late reply, but I too carry a 12' telescoping ladder......only way to go!
Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Toad
2008 Honda Gold Wing Level 3
1968 Honda CT90
stu stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 07:28 AM   #10

How heavy of a person can walk on the roof without damaging it?
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 10:31 AM   #11

I added this to our's years ago after our 1st season. Wouldn't be without it! But they are clearly not for everyone. As a 69yo 170lb swimmer, biker, and burpees when rving, it works great for me. But I know I'm a weird exception that way (esp with the weird stares I get at the campsite after coffee) lolClick image for larger version

Name:	20230314_092228.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	86874
Phoenix PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 12:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
The roofs are designed to be walkable. Have you considered a telescoping ladder?

https://www.amazon.com/Telescoping-L...fos.f5122f16-c

When you contact Jayco, make sure to have your vin number.

We have the 14.5 foot version of this telescoping ladder. Fits in the basement easily. It's pretty "bendy" under load but that is just it's nature. It works fine
Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 02:28 PM   #13

Tele Ladder

I didn't think much of a telescopic after testing one. I will tote the Little Giant M22 we already own. It's more ladder than most want to move but folded is perfect for the roof with zero stability concerns. They have smaller options.
GEPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 03:18 PM   #14

During a different career I needed to be certified in ladder safety. I'll never look at ladders the same way again. Generally if it passes OSHA testing, I'll trust it to a RV roof hight.
Old 03-18-2023, 04:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelawareSteve View Post
Hi,
Thanks, Steve

Ladders attach to the RV at typically three spots on each side, roof, mid-way and lower end. Your roof is strong enough for the ladder mounts. Unless your RV rear wall was made with appropriate support members for the other two points, you are at risk attaching a ladder. It may pull loose when you put weight on it. Even if it has supporting members, they are designed to connect to a specific ladder.

I have one. I hate the damn thing. It's flimsy and too narrow for two feet on a rung. I don't use it frequently so I'll live with it. Navigating from the roof onto an extension ladder is a bit scary.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 07:44 PM   #16

I, too, bought a 12.5-foot telescoping ladder for the rare time I need to get up on the roof. Fits nicely in the back of the TV. Plenty tall enough to climb up top.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 11:32 PM   #17

I also use a collapsanle ladder. I wrapped some hot water pipe insulation around the top, taped it to hold in place, and don't have to worry about towels to protect the sides
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 05:59 AM   #18

I’m a retired roofer after 40 years. I’m not a fan of the telescoping type ladders but they’d probably be fine for their easability for storing. My Eagle has a rear mounted ladder and it’s nice and sturdy. If I’m working from or on the roof of my trailer, I’ll use a rope with a spring hook on the end and pull my tools, portable chain saw, etc with a 5 gal bucket. You can of course replace the bucket with a small tool bag or anything with handles to hook up to. The spring hook allows you to work by yourself without having to play games with a hook that doesn’t want to stay put while you’re climbing the ladder. Just my 2 cents.
Eaglehaslanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 11:02 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggilbert View Post
How heavy of a person can walk on the roof without damaging it?
It'll be made with the Magnum Truss Roof System, so it'll hold a person up there with no problem. I walk around on ours a few times a year looking for anything that needs sealing, or to install or remove the cover. A fixed ladder on the back is the weak link for weight limits, depending on the brand.

An extendable ladder sounds like a good alternative.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 11:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I have always found the rear ladders extremely difficult to navigate especcilay with tools or supplies in hand. The straight up and down config and my age combine to make it a dangerous climb.

I carry a telescoping ladder that I can set at an angle for roof access. I wrap towels around the top arms of the ladder to add some protection to the trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/Telescoping-L...2-63e904010ad0
This
camjam is offline   Reply With Quote