Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-15-2024, 07:25 AM   #1

Lady Camper Electrical Issue: AC

Hello Everyone - I have a 2016 Jay Flight 28bhbe. When installing my new battery, I put the battery cables on the incorrect posts. Yes, I replaced all three of the 25 fuses in the Reverse Battery Protection Fuse spots in the fuse panel as well as the 30 fuse in the outside of the a frame front (all were bad). All other fuses have been checked and are fine. I am getting power in the wiring going from the battery into the camper (outside front) but am not registering any power coming into the fuse panel. Anything that works on DC does not work. When I plug in my camper to electric I get my microwave and outlets to work (not AC). I have a closed underbelly (I can unscrew and look) if there is something between the wires going into the front of the camper to the fuse box that I should look for. Is it worth removing the underbody protector? Is there another fuse under carriage?
Thanks for your expertise in advance.
eauen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 08:57 AM   #2

Only thing you haven’t mentioned is the resettable breaker that’s usually mounted on the front of the trailer.
The positive battery cable goes to it first normally.
There should be a small button on one end to push in.

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 12:09 PM   #3

Thanks @Markb5900 or any other expert - I have these on the front of my camper in the A frame: when I put my voltmeter on both of them (block on the top and red on the below) it give me a 12.9 reading. I don't have a reset button on the sides of these nor anywhere on the frame. I would love your next trouble shooting suggestion.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2169.jpg  
Old 04-15-2024, 12:49 PM   #4

Does your trailer have a metal junction box that a bunch of the wires go in to?

If it does, open that up. There may be another fuse or circuit breaker in there.

I know our 19 27RL has the junction box and a circuit breaker inside it.

You will probably have 2 screws holding the plate on the junction box.
Old 04-15-2024, 01:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eauen View Post
Thanks @Markb5900 or any other expert - I have these on the front of my camper in the A frame: when I put my voltmeter on both of them (block on the top and red on the below) it give me a 12.9 reading. I don't have a reset button on the sides of these nor anywhere on the frame. I would love your next trouble shooting suggestion.
Well, the battery is charged I think. Most of these trailers have a battery cut-off switch to help discharge when the trailer is not used. They really don't work very well though. That auto resetting breaker you were talking about should not show voltage if the breaker is closed (I don't believe). If it is open then it could show voltage because the meter completes a path.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 01:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Just for clarity, did you intend "block" or "black"? You should be sure the black lead of the meter is on the frame itself (perhaps the screw or base of the breakers in the image, or even the - negative of the battery if it is close enough), and then place the red lead on each terminal (the 4 connections) and all of them should show the same voltage. You may be saying that is what you did but just to be sure. ~CA
Old 04-15-2024, 02:09 PM   #7

Yes, @Stinger608 I have one of those boxes; however, don't show a button nor a fuse.

@skids: Yes, battery is charged (I have triple checked). I have searched high and low on the A frame and front of the trailer for a battery cut off switch - nothing.

@craigav - yes, meant black not block.
Attached Thumbnails
front dc wire box.jpg  
Old 04-15-2024, 03:28 PM   #8

Check the Breaker panel. There is a 15 amp breaker in my camper for the converter. If that is tripped it will not have DC power

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 06:06 PM   #9

Quote:
You should read again my post #6, if you didn't test as I described and instead you connected the Black lead on the top connection and the red on the one below and your meter indicated voltage. that would indicate no power is passing the breaker (meaning a bad breaker there). You need to have the black lead on your voltage meter grounded (not on any of the terminals), and the red lead should read voltage on each of the 4 terminals.

If you could provide more details where the voltage meter leads were exactly when you measured the voltage, that may help. ~CA
Old 04-17-2024, 11:11 AM   #10

Hello @Markb5900, @stinger608, @skids, @craigav, @MikeNChelle: I did find my issue and although embarrassed; I want to THANK YOU for your time and efforts to help me. I did not have my cables correctly hooked up to my battery (ughh). I assumed they were accurate as my electric hitch and light on the Aframe was working. Regardless, my appreciation remains...I will pay it forward. Happy Camping.