Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-08-2014, 07:48 AM   #11
Site Team

Get a screw on sewer valve as eldermike mentioned. Problem solved.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...68#readreviews

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1961 View Post
Now, my novice question is, what harm if any would that do to having black water and "solids" going into the gray tank?
This method really only works if you have two gray tanks to combine. I wouldn't recommend combining the gray and black tanks, but I suppose you could do it in a pinch. There shouldn't be any negative effects, other thank stinking up your gray tank.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:15 AM   #13

I am with TexasA&M.. I may only be a newbe here, but something tells me it would not be a good idea to put black water into the grey water tank... I am going to look into installing a small 12VDC transfer pump that can be installed between the tanks. One way direction grey to black. I have no idea if it would even be feasible but I think it would worthwhile looking into anyway.. I won't be able to get to it until a few months from now, but If I find a workable solution I will post with pictures and such... Of course you would have to modify for your specific TT..

TexasA&M... We are heading up to Lake Ray Roberts in March and will most likely be hitting Possum Kingdom, and Dinosaur State park this Spring and Summer...

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather didĖin his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:21 AM   #14
Site Team

I wouldn't do it either unless in a pinch.

My first tt only had one tank. Every thing went into it.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Old 01-08-2014, 04:24 PM   #15

This discussion got me to thinking... Why couldn't you just put another grey tank in? Or maybe a bigger one? Then I did a quick search, and a new/separate holding tank would cost as much as a blue boy, but you would have to install it and plumb it... I went around and around and then just decided that for me the simplest solution is the best here, just get a portable tank and move on...

The transfer pump is an intriguing idea since I end up trying to put as much water in my black tank as I can, seems it would be more efficient if I could use the grey water for that. But then I came all the way back around to just using a portable waste tank. They're readily available, easy to use, and there's no installation; simple solution.

But it would be nice if manufacturers would put a little larger grey capacity in at the factory... I have 86 gallons of FW capacity, and I would gladly give half that up for an equal increase of grey capacity; I can't carry all that fresh water anyway...

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:29 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I wouldn't do it either unless in a pinch.

My first tt only had one tank. Every thing went into it.

My first mod was to have the plumbing modified, a new grey water tank added that was the biggest they could fit into the space underneath. It was not as expensive as I was anticipating. This was a long time ago.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:37 PM   #17

the thing i dont understand with my 26bh is that i have a 90 gallon fresh capacity but only 65 gallons worth of blac/gray water capacity
its just doesnt make sence, so i just wait till the night a dump the gray, we dont put any food or anything down the drains, just biodegradeable soap and water
2006 Ford F150 5.4, (SOLD Oct 2014)
2014 Jayco Jayflight 26BH (SOLD Feb 2014)
carey965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:43 PM   #18

A couple folks have mentioned installing a 12v transfer pump (and I assume some plumbing) to transfer grey to black. Before we had our tote, I would use a Valterra dump valve cap that had hose threads that I could attach a short piece of garden hose to and then use the TT valves to transfer grey water to a bucket then dump that bucket into the toilet. It was a $5 solutions that required a little bit a labor, but didn't require adding plumbing or pumps.
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:11 PM   #19

If you have multiple gray tanks, it would be easy to install a line between low points on the tanks. They will automatically level, and there are no electrics to fail.
There is a local RV company that does custom tanks for any brand, and I spoke to them back in October. As soon as the factory warranty is done, I'm having my 44 gal fresh moved to gray, and a new 65 gal fresh installed.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:43 AM   #20

Many years ago we were showing dogs and camping at fairgrounds all over the east coast. Someone got the bright idea of drilling a small hole in the gray tank plumbing just upstream of the valve and installing a small self tapping screw with a gasket. This idea spread. This way the valve stayed closed and the cap was in place but by morning the gray tanks were all empty or close to empty. We would haul fresh water in containers from buildings and life was good and everyone had showers. I think someone noticed that folks were washing dogs outside and for whatever reason that's ok, so why can't I wash me?

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote