Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-07-2014, 09:51 AM   #1

Larger Gray Water Capacity Please!

I have noticed that Jayco now only has 32.5 gallon gray water tanks in the Jay Flight and Eagle lines. I wish they would double that. We always dry camp and the small gray water tank is a deal breaker for me. We should have purchased the 2013 Jay Flight 29 RLDS model last year but were not quite ready to pull the trigger. I hope they bring that model back again next year when we are ready to buy. I love the rear living and big back window. That model had a 64 gallon gray water tank and it had the wardrobe slide that we really want. Please, Jayco, bring that model back for 2015 with the larger gray water tank...
ddrueckh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #2

We almost bought that TT for the same reason. We opted for the 33 RLDS for the extra slide and room but lost the big back window and gray water capacity. We did gain a fireplace though. If it had the bigger gray tank it would be perfect..
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:10 PM   #3

Don't know whether or not you're interested in the White Hawks, but the 29REKS has a similar floor plan and a 61 gallon gray water tank. We opted for the fire place so "lost" the big back window, but it's still plenty bright back there.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:16 PM   #4

Grey water isn't really that big of a deal especially if you're out dry camping! Just water the trees. No different than if you did your dishes outside or used the outdoor shower. Black water is a different story, but that tank doesn't fill at the same rate as the grey with normal use. If my grey tank got full early when dry camping, I'd just let some of it out but keep enough to flush out the sewer hose after a black dump.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:28 PM   #5

I have suggested (rather inquired) in another post that it would be an idea to have some sort of xfer pump setup to take some of the grey water out of the tank and send it over to the black water tank as it shouldn't get filled up as quick. Also... Using an outdoor shower with bio-degradable soap would both help with filling the gray tank AND not do any harm to the environment.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:18 PM   #6

We bought a 2012 26rks. It lists our gray water tank at 65 gallons. I thought that was great for the shower with the kids. However thats not the case. We have two 32.5 gallon grey tanks. One for the kitchen sink and one for the bathroom shower and sink. After 3 days of camping with showers and bathroom hand washing after a pit stop, the tank is always filled to the top. But the kitchen tank is not even close to being half full. So in my opinion it is a little false advertising.
We try to save space by brushing teeth and washing hands in the kitchen but it only saves a little volume. We already take Navy showers so there is no more water to cut. I wish it would have been one large tank or a pair of tanks that are connected to each other.
tj3829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:41 AM   #7

One way you can combine your gray tanks is to open the valves but leave the cap on the drain pipe. this will basically equalize the tanks. You just gotta be ready for the flow of water when you take the cap off!!! (Make sure you close the valves first, otherwise you've got a LOT of water to worry about).

I agree though, the gray tanks on these trailers is just too small. I have a 32BHDS, and you'd think on a trailer this big that you'd have more capacity. I'd prefer to have a single large tank, but wouldn't mind dual smaller tanks either. As it stands, I only have 32.5ga capacity, which fills up QUICK with a wife and three kids (all girls, no less).
Old 01-08-2014, 07:07 AM   #8

I have 90 gallons of fresh water space. I would gladly trade 40 of those gallons to add to the grey water tank.

As I have stated before....the RV design engineers are NOT campers. They have no feel for what is needed or how things should be arranged in these campers. It's cost and production efficiency that takes precedence over practical end user issues.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:26 AM   #9

You can purchase a valve that fits over the drain and replaces the cap. This way you can equalize the greys without getting wet then you remove the cap.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasA&M View Post
One way you can combine your gray tanks is to open the valves but leave the cap on the drain pipe. this will basically equalize the tanks. You just gotta be ready for the flow of water when you take the cap off!!! (Make sure you close the valves first, otherwise you've got a LOT of water to worry about).

I agree though, the gray tanks on these trailers is just too small. I have a 32BHDS, and you'd think on a trailer this big that you'd have more capacity. I'd prefer to have a single large tank, but wouldn't mind dual smaller tanks either. As it stands, I only have 32.5ga capacity, which fills up QUICK with a wife and three kids (all girls, no less).
Sounds like typical "Aggie" engineering to me , Just kidding... GO AGGIES... Now, my novice question is, what harm if any would that do to having black water and "solids" going into the gray tank?

By the way, really was kidding about the Aggie engineering thing.. Lot's of family have graduated from that school... Big Fan here...

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:48 AM   #11
Site Team

Get a screw on sewer valve as eldermike mentioned. Problem solved.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...68#readreviews
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1961 View Post
Now, my novice question is, what harm if any would that do to having black water and "solids" going into the gray tank?
This method really only works if you have two gray tanks to combine. I wouldn't recommend combining the gray and black tanks, but I suppose you could do it in a pinch. There shouldn't be any negative effects, other thank stinking up your gray tank.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:15 AM   #13

I am with TexasA&M.. I may only be a newbe here, but something tells me it would not be a good idea to put black water into the grey water tank... I am going to look into installing a small 12VDC transfer pump that can be installed between the tanks. One way direction grey to black. I have no idea if it would even be feasible but I think it would worthwhile looking into anyway.. I won't be able to get to it until a few months from now, but If I find a workable solution I will post with pictures and such... Of course you would have to modify for your specific TT..

TexasA&M... We are heading up to Lake Ray Roberts in March and will most likely be hitting Possum Kingdom, and Dinosaur State park this Spring and Summer...

Old 01-08-2014, 10:21 AM   #14
Site Team

I wouldn't do it either unless in a pinch.

My first tt only had one tank. Every thing went into it.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 01-08-2014, 04:24 PM   #15

This discussion got me to thinking... Why couldn't you just put another grey tank in? Or maybe a bigger one? Then I did a quick search, and a new/separate holding tank would cost as much as a blue boy, but you would have to install it and plumb it... I went around and around and then just decided that for me the simplest solution is the best here, just get a portable tank and move on...

The transfer pump is an intriguing idea since I end up trying to put as much water in my black tank as I can, seems it would be more efficient if I could use the grey water for that. But then I came all the way back around to just using a portable waste tank. They're readily available, easy to use, and there's no installation; simple solution.

But it would be nice if manufacturers would put a little larger grey capacity in at the factory... I have 86 gallons of FW capacity, and I would gladly give half that up for an equal increase of grey capacity; I can't carry all that fresh water anyway...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:29 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I wouldn't do it either unless in a pinch.

My first tt only had one tank. Every thing went into it.

My first mod was to have the plumbing modified, a new grey water tank added that was the biggest they could fit into the space underneath. It was not as expensive as I was anticipating. This was a long time ago.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 01-08-2014, 06:37 PM   #17

the thing i dont understand with my 26bh is that i have a 90 gallon fresh capacity but only 65 gallons worth of blac/gray water capacity
its just doesnt make sence, so i just wait till the night a dump the gray, we dont put any food or anything down the drains, just biodegradeable soap and water
2006 Ford F150 5.4, (SOLD Oct 2014)
2014 Jayco Jayflight 26BH (SOLD Feb 2014)
carey965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:43 PM   #18

A couple folks have mentioned installing a 12v transfer pump (and I assume some plumbing) to transfer grey to black. Before we had our tote, I would use a Valterra dump valve cap that had hose threads that I could attach a short piece of garden hose to and then use the TT valves to transfer grey water to a bucket then dump that bucket into the toilet. It was a $5 solutions that required a little bit a labor, but didn't require adding plumbing or pumps.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:11 PM   #19

If you have multiple gray tanks, it would be easy to install a line between low points on the tanks. They will automatically level, and there are no electrics to fail.
There is a local RV company that does custom tanks for any brand, and I spoke to them back in October. As soon as the factory warranty is done, I'm having my 44 gal fresh moved to gray, and a new 65 gal fresh installed.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:43 AM   #20

Many years ago we were showing dogs and camping at fairgrounds all over the east coast. Someone got the bright idea of drilling a small hole in the gray tank plumbing just upstream of the valve and installing a small self tapping screw with a gasket. This idea spread. This way the valve stayed closed and the cap was in place but by morning the gray tanks were all empty or close to empty. We would haul fresh water in containers from buildings and life was good and everyone had showers. I think someone noticed that folks were washing dogs outside and for whatever reason that's ok, so why can't I wash me?

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote