Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2021, 02:06 PM   #1

Larger water tanks?

I have a 2012 X213 and the tank capacity on it is small at 28.5 gallons including the heater. I boondock 95% of the time so I rely on the onboard water to get me through a weekend. Admittedly, it was my first trailer and didnt really know any better.

Anyways, I was looking and the new 2021 X213 and the total fresh water capacity is now 48 gallons with the water heater, so a whopping 20 gallons more than mine. That would be huge.

Does anyone know if its feasible to swap the tank from a new X213?
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 02:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
I have a 2012 X213 and the tank capacity on it is small at 28.5 gallons including the heater. I boondock 95% of the time so I rely on the onboard water to get me through a weekend. Admittedly, it was my first trailer and didnt really know any better.

Anyways, I was looking and the new 2021 X213 and the total fresh water capacity is now 48 gallons with the water heater, so a whopping 20 gallons more than mine. That would be huge.

Does anyone know if its feasible to swap the tank from a new X213?
I would contact JAYCO with your vin.

https://www.jayco.com/site/contact/service/
Old 11-03-2021, 10:14 AM   #3

Can anyone with a newer JayFeather that has the larger fresh water capacity of 48 gallons(it looks like they started installing them in 2014) see if they can get a part number off their tank? I am having a heck of a time getting the info.

I crawled under my trailer and my current tank is made by Ameri-Kart and there is a P/N stamped on it. It says its 26.5 gallons. It also looks like there are already provisions on the frame to accept a longer tank so I am thinking this may be a bolt in thing.
Old 11-03-2021, 01:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I would contact JAYCO with your vin.

https://www.jayco.com/site/contact/service/
Thanks for this link. Jayco did answer but the response was not exactly helpful. Basically, beat it.
Old 11-03-2021, 03:42 PM   #5

Here is one link you might find helpful: https://elkhartrvparts.com/collectio...sh-water-tanks. There are others. Measure the space you have and there is probably something available that will fit.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
Here is one link you might find helpful: https://elkhartrvparts.com/collectio...sh-water-tanks. There are others. Measure the space you have and there is probably something available that will fit.
I guess my other option would be to put an AUX tank inside the trailer. Then I can just gravity feed it into the main tank when needed.

Jayco is still fighting me on the part number. I asked if they could provide the 2014-2021 tank part number and they told me not without a VIN.
Old 11-04-2021, 09:15 AM   #7

Quote:
I guess my other option would be to put an AUX tank inside the trailer. Then I can just gravity feed it into the main tank when needed.
Absolutely do not mount a tank inside your camper. One leak that goes un-noticed and your floor will be totaled, especially if it is employing the "ultra light" luan/styrofoam/luan monolithic floor system. Once water gets into that sandwich floor - it aint getting out.

Leave it in the truck and use your aux tank with a transfer pump.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 02:39 PM   #8

Quote:

Jayco is still fighting me on the part number. I asked if they could provide the 2014-2021 tank part number and they told me not without a VIN.
From my understanding of Jayco's Customer Service part system. They cannot do a search by description. No one has ever claimed success this way. They have to have a vin number to determine what components are in the TT. Crazy system they have! Some people have found an RV on a dealer lot that has whatever feature they want. Grabbed the vin number off of that RV and ordered the part. Another thing to try is looking online for a used 2014-2021 X213. Some RV dealers show images of the yellow sticker. This yellow sticker has the vin number on it.

Looks like you tow with a F150. Have you considered buying a water bladder? They come in all sizes. Fill the bladder when you need it, and keep it in the back of the TV. Transfer it over as needed with a small pump.

https://www.amazon.com/Water-Storage.../dp/B07BV1R23R

I love to boondock, our 23B has the same size tank. I use my 5 gallon Jerry can to transfer water, but we are never to far from a water source (sometimes it is a hand pump ). I fill up the Jerry can, place it inside my TT, next to my water pump. Flip the water pump valves over to winterizing. I place my outside shower hose into my gravity fill port with the cold water valve open. Turn on the pump sit back and let the pump do its thing. Pending on how long we are out for, I might transfer one or two jugs a day as needed. Nice part about the Jerry can, it is easy to handle, it is small, takes minimal room to store. I keep it open between uses to dry out. I can easily transfer a little water or a lot, and it is not much work.

A couple additional items to consider:

The CCC on your X213 is very low (very normal too). Pending on the new tank size, you could eat up an additional 150+ lbs of your available CCC. When your HTT is 100% empty you may only have 800 lbs in total CCC, With your new tank setup you may consume 50% of that in water. Not much CCC for food or other essentials.

Have you consider your waste tank sizes. Black tank usually is not an issue. But the grey tank on the other hand is probably about 30 gallons. So you will need to dump before you are out of water. Pending on where you go, many places will not let you empty your tanks directly onto the ground. One way we get around some of this, is to do wash our dishes outside in a dish pan. Most places usually treat this activity just like a tent camper and you can dispose it on the ground, just follow the local rules. But opening a waste tank and dribbling it onto the ground in most places is a major no no. The other item we sometimes do is dump the dishpan down the toilet. Just make sure all the dishes (silverware) is out of it first!

Good luck, let us know how you plan to proceed.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 02:58 PM   #9

Couple minutes of searching and found a 2018 X213 online that shows the vin #. It is on image #5.

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/jayco/ja...x=-1&modalXS=1

This unit shows it has a 653 lbs total CCC, when 100% empty out of the factory, and does not include the weight of the battery, propane tanks. That Those items might push 150 lbs of your CCC.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 06:11 PM   #10

Step 1) Find online VIN for TT that has the tank size you want
Step 2) Order from Jayco using that VIN
Step 3) Get yer tank and be happy.

This works (ask me how I know).

Pro: You get the tank size you want and if there is a custom size/configuration designed for your TT it will be precisely fit the way you want it.
Con: WEIGHT. Water is over 8lbs/gallon, so simple math tells you that's roughly 200lbs more than your stock configuration. Can your floor support it? Your axle? Don't charge ahead unless you know exactly what the extra weight will do to your rig.
MODS: Dual GC2 LiFePO4 System, BAL (4) Stabilizers, Hengs vent fan, Dual Propane conversion, Furrion FOSO7TASF Rear Camera, Digital Thermostat, See Level 709P3W1003 Tank Monitor System, 200w solar panels, other cool things.
MrKABC is offline   Reply With Quote