Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-12-2017, 12:59 PM   #1

Late Fall use of Jayflight 23RB

Hello All,
Here in the next few weeks I am planning on a trim into the mountains here in Colorado with my 23RB. I know that the underbelly of this unit is not heated but it is insulated and covered. Have any of you had experience with this or a similar unit in the late fall with water in it?

Water or no water? I will have access to electricity and will be running the heater.

Thank you,
Codfish
codfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:34 PM   #2

What kind of temperatures are you expecting (highs and lows)? Below freezing all the time? Below freezing just at night?

We camp with night time lows in the low 20's without any issues. Day time highs above freezing.

We do not have any enclosed underbelly. So the floors are cool/cold in the morning. Our HTT looses a lot of heat through the bunk ends. In general all we use to heat the HTT is a 1500 watt electric heater, and electric mattress pads. During the day I will put the heater on the floor in front of the stove, with a small 12V fan plugged in overhead to move a little more air around. It works just fine during the day. At night we put the heater on top of the stove. In the morning the camper if it is cold outside it is often a little chilly inside, especially the floors. I will turn on the propane furnace for a few minutes to warm the place back up.

If it is really cold outside, I will crack open the cabinets have plumbing inside them to help distribute a little extra heat to the pipes.

The big thermal masses of water in the tanks will take a long time to freeze, and the freeze from the top down.

We have not had any issues yet. remember, we have only used our HTT, with night time lows in the low 20's, with above freezing daytime highs.

Happy Camping

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:43 PM   #3

It looks like it will be in the twenties any night and it does warm above freezing during the day. There is always the potential that I t could get really cold and snow the week but I doubt it. If nothing else snow is an insulator.

I was going to remove the panel under the fridge that hides most of the pluming and leave it off until I get back to allow for air flow.

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:22 PM   #4

I've been using my 2007 trailer in northern Canada with temps 17 at night and 45 as a high, no probs with water freezing. Probably wouldn't want it any colder though. Have fun !
Old 10-16-2017, 09:39 PM   #5

Thank you. Heading up this weekend...cant wait.

Thanks,
Codfish