Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-14-2018, 11:01 AM   #1

Leak inside Pass Through storage

We own a 2016 Jayco 27 DSRL and live in the Pacific Northwest where rain rules the day.
On a recent camping trip, I discovered the floor was wet and some of the paneling was swelling due to moisture inside the pass thru compartment. No water leaks were noticed above the floor, just at the seam between the paneling and the compartment floor. Theorizing that the leak had to be coming from underneath especially after driving 100mi+ on wet roads. I noticed a long piece of rubber strip between the diamond plate front guard and the plastic moisture barrier underneath. With the advise of a friend, I purchased some Flex Seal and gave it a good spray. T was able to remove a portion of a wall that was wet on the inside just forward of the access doors. This turned out to be just a piece of paneling screwed down to hide a louse wiring job done during construction. The weather let up for a few days so I left the doors open and dried out the compartment. Haven't had a chance to get her out on a rainy day since, but was curious if anyone else has experienced this. Of course I'm now out of warrantee!
BTW, I recently redressed the louse wiring job they did and gave myself about 1 sq ft of additional storage!
Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:13 AM   #2

Don't rule out the cargo door seal. We replaced the seal 4 years ago and we're still high and dry.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:54 AM   #3

Hhhhmmmmm....that’s a possibility! I have a friend with the same trailer who pitched a squawk while under warranty, I thought it was nitpicky but he might have had a valid squawk on this. I’m gonna check that out. Thank you.
Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:36 PM   #4

I had a similar issue with my 2016 27DSRL. It was still under warranty and they replaced the awning side pass thru door frame which they said was leaking. The wood was swollen directly beneath the pass thru door from the leak. No issues with it this year, so it appears they fixed it.
WyEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:35 PM   #5

I had to reseal one of my cargo doors when I got the new trailer a few years ago. The factory did a crappy job of applying sealant, and missed most of the frame edge. Also there needs to sealer on TOP of the screws holding in the frame, especially the bottom ones. If no sealer on top, water just runs down the threads and into the storage area.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote