Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-27-2020, 07:07 AM   #1

leak proof bucket for emptying tanks at home

I realize this is quite disgusting, but I am hoping for some suggestions. With this whole pandemic, we have been unable to see our in laws (they are high risk). They live 3 hrs away in good traffic and it would be tough to drive there, socially distance outside, then drive back without a restroom(no public ones are open around here). My husband wants to tow the camper there for the day, use the bathroom as needed, then bring it back and dump it when we get home. This sounds gross to me, but it will be worthwhile to see them. The thought of dumping into a regular old bucket sounds even more disgusting. Any products that lessen the leaking probability from point A into point B?
reneegavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:32 AM   #2

Instead of a bucket, you could use a portable waste tank. They have multiple sizes available like the one below with a 6 gallon capacity.

https://www.amazon.com/Tote-N-Stor-2...n+store&sr=8-5
abbttb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:53 AM   #3

We used a bucket for the grey water, but not the black. Unless you are in an old house, you most likely have a sewer clean out somewhere, probably close to the house. You can hook up to it. For long runs or up hill runs, look into a macerator.

Or find a dump station nearby. When we had our motorhome, we used it for day trips to the lake or beach often. Our sewer cleanup was too far uphill to dump into. Less than 5 miles from home was a county run campground that had a dump station that we'd use. We would stop by on our way home.

I wouldn't use a bucket for black water unless it was in an emergency.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:10 AM   #4

I have never used a bucket to dump.

Depending on your state, your local highway rest stops might have a dump station, look at the one closest to your home. Some large stores like Cabelas some times have a dump station (2 out of three in our area do). Another option, in google maps, type in "RV Dump Station".

Someone posted last year using a macerator pump, and a black garden hose, and pumped it to their toilet(???).

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.g View Post
We used a bucket for the grey water, but not the black. Unless you are in an old house, you most likely have a sewer clean out somewhere, probably close to the house. You can hook up to it. For long runs or up hill runs, look into a macerator.

Or find a dump station nearby. When we had our motorhome, we used it for day trips to the lake or beach often. Our sewer cleanup was too far uphill to dump into. Less than 5 miles from home was a county run campground that had a dump station that we'd use. We would stop by on our way home.

I wouldn't use a bucket for black water unless it was in an emergency.

-Michael
+1 for sure. YUCK!

There are actually lots of places to dump once you start looking. Campgrounds will often let you dump in their facilities. Some rest-stops have dumps, Pilot/Flying J has sewage dumps (for a cost). Or as mentioned above, you may even be able to dump at home. Especially if you're on city sewer.

If there's a septic service near you, they could come out and empty your tank for you as well.

I dump at home with a 100' hose and a macerator. This is an expensive setup, but worth it to me because I do it a few times a year, and it's better than the hassle of going down to the RV park and bothering them with it. Plus between this and the 50A plug I had installed, I can run my rig 100% fully functional indefinitely in my driveway.

I would rather leave the waste in the tank for a while than try to use a bucket to remove it. There are enzymes you can get that will actually "eat" the waste over time. Not the best solution to leave it in the tank for long periods, but better than trying to use a bucket. No way I'm using an open bucket unless I absolutely HAVE to, and right now I can't think of a situation where that would be the case...

ETA: Camping world, and possibly (probably) other dealers also have dump facilities. IIRC, Good Sam members get a discount, or free?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:25 AM   #6

Like other post, you probably have a sewer clean out at your house somewhere. If you're on a septic system, dig up the tank lid and throw it in there. Where I live, dumping grey water on the ground is kinda frowned upon but not illegal. Black water is illegal. However, I do have a sewer cleanout at my place and when I HAVE to use it I've already got it set up with the threaded adapter and sewer hose. I dump into a Barker portable and pull it over to the cleanout and dump it.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:50 AM   #7

Long before toilets, sewers or RV's....people went right in the 'bucket'...or potty. That was an upgrade to what they were doing before. Might be easier given the ifs, ans or butts (see what I did there) of hook ups at the house. 5 gallon HD orange with a lid should work.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneegavin View Post
The thought of dumping into a regular old bucket sounds even more disgusting. Any products that lessen the leaking probability from point A into point B?
Depending where you live some municipalities have places to dump at their waste treatment plants. Also as was mentioned check with a State or local park on your way home. Also some states sill have dump stations at varying Rest Areas.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:55 AM   #9

https://www.sanidumps.com/findbyzippostalcode.php

There are other sites that also list dump stations. This should get you started. You may also look along your route.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
Long before toilets, sewers or RV's....people went right in the 'bucket'...or potty. That was an upgrade to what they were doing before. Might be easier given the ifs, ans or butts (see what I did there) of hook ups at the house. 5 gallon HD orange with a lid should work.
I've thought this too. I was actually thinking of just getting a small portable toilet, but it would be tough if we needed to use it en route. The camper is convenient for that. I know many campgrounds are not allowing any "visitors", but not sure about dumping. I will have to look into it. The rest area on our way is out of commission completely right now, but I will look into other spots.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:38 AM   #11
Site Team

Your sig does not indicate where you are but this may be a moot problem.

It would be for me because campgrounds are re-opening here and in several states we normally visit.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:52 AM   #12

I'd rather do this than try to empty my black tank into a Homer bucket:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NM39V51...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Sure, "back in the day" we didn't have effective, sanitary ways to dispose of human waste, but then we also only had an average life expectancy of like 45 years...

If you use your black tank for only liquid waste (and throw the used TP in a trash can), then you could easily dump your tank in your garden or your yard depending on where you live. I live out in the country, so as long as it's not solid waste, and there's plenty of water, I'm okay watering my grass and trees with very diluted, liquid waste only, on RARE occasion. Of course, this is out of the question if you live somewhere inside a city or on a small chunk of land.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 05-27-2020, 10:42 AM   #13

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I'd rather do this than try to empty my black tank into a Homer bucket:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NM39V51...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Sure, "back in the day" we didn't have effective, sanitary ways to dispose of human waste, but then we also only had an average life expectancy of like 45 years...

If you use your black tank for only liquid waste (and throw the used TP in a trash can), then you could easily dump your tank in your garden or your yard depending on where you live. I live out in the country, so as long as it's not solid waste, and there's plenty of water, I'm okay watering my grass and trees with very diluted, liquid waste only, on RARE occasion. Of course, this is out of the question if you live somewhere inside a city or on a small chunk of land.
Hmmm....maybe getting one of those buckets with liners and using it inside the camper for privacy would work. Although where in the world does one dispose of those bags??? We live in a suburb...don't think we can dump in the yard
Old 05-27-2020, 11:32 AM   #14

I do it the EASY WAY!

When I come home from boondocking, my Black tank is pretty full, so is my grey tank. I use a Flojet 18555000A 18555-000A Portable RV Waste Pump (see below link) and run a 75 foot 3/4 garden hose from my trailer to my sewer cleanout line alongside my house. Empties my Black tank and then empties my gray tank... NO MESS.. EASY PEASY!

https://www.amazon.com/Flojet-185550.../dp/B001HKZHIW

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneegavin View Post
Hmmm....maybe getting one of those buckets with liners and using it inside the camper for privacy would work. Although where in the world does one dispose of those bags??? We live in a suburb...don't think we can dump in the yard
In the trash, of course. Same place you put dirty diapers and cat-box "leavings".

In fact, I've thought about getting a setup like this to take to the deer lease with me. I would put some litter in the bottom of the bag. Way back in the back of the property when you're an hour drive from a toilet, it would be nice not to have to use a cat-hole. I'm a bit old and out of shape for such things these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
I do it the EASY WAY!

When I come home from boondocking, my Black tank is pretty full, so is my grey tank. I use a Flojet 18555000A 18555-000A Portable RV Waste Pump (see below link) and run a 75 foot 3/4 garden hose from my trailer to my sewer cleanout line alongside my house. Empties my Black tank and then empties my gray tank... NO MESS.. EASY PEASY!

https://www.amazon.com/Flojet-185550.../dp/B001HKZHIW
That's exactly what I was talking about. It's a GREAT solution, and SUPER convenient; I love my Flo-Jet. But for $250 just for the macerator, plus the hose, if you're only going to use it once, it's a pretty expensive dump trip. I use mine probably 3-4x a season? Totally worth it for me.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 05-27-2020, 12:40 PM   #16

just about every ice fisherman, turkey hunter and deer stand hunter I know has one of these. https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Prod.../dp/B000FIAPXO

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 01:04 PM   #17

Ugh, they are all out of stock!
Old 05-27-2020, 01:26 PM   #18

Luggable Loo @ BassPro, REI, Dick's Sporting. $20.

X2 on the sewer clean out. I use that at in-laws while I'm there. If they are on septic need to be a little careful if the party that owns the house doesn't clean out/take care of septic. Don't want to be blamed for overflowing/clogging septic up.

If sewer isn't available, I'd dump the grey. Just use biodegradable soap in the shower. Then dump black when you leave stop at Flying J or another large station; they usually charge $10-20 to dump, a rest area or a campground or park. The Sanidumps is a great website to find one on your route.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
In the trash, of course. Same place you put dirty diapers and cat-box "leavings".

In fact, I've thought about getting a setup like this to take to the deer lease with me. I would put some litter in the bottom of the bag. Way back in the back of the property when you're an hour drive from a toilet, it would be nice not to have to use a cat-hole. I'm a bit old and out of shape for such things these days.

That's exactly what I was talking about. It's a GREAT solution, and SUPER convenient; I love my Flo-Jet. But for $250 just for the macerator, plus the hose, if you're only going to use it once, it's a pretty expensive dump trip. I use mine probably 3-4x a season? Totally worth it for me.
Yes, I agree if only used once or twice, it's expensive.. So far this year, I have used mine 5 times and it's only the end of May!
It's also nice for when we return home from several days traveling. We just use the toilet in the Trailer because we have an easy way to empty it when we get home.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:50 PM   #20

We bought a lugaloo with Double Duty bags and a cheap privacy tent to put in the back of hubby's pickup as needed for the trip. I think this will be much easier! Thanks for the suggestions! It can also be used while kayaking at local lakes if the bathrooms remain closed!