Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2011, 05:36 PM   #1

Leak, Slide Problems, Cosmetic Issues; Warranty Expired, What Should We Do?

Hello, I am new to this forum and I am looking for advice. My husband and I bought a brand new Jayco Jay Flight G2 31RKS in 2009-have used about 5-6 times a year for camping. We are very careful w/the camper and have done all of the routine maintenance and it looks brand for the most part. Things were going great until this season when in early April we went out to prepare the trailer for our first trip and noticed that the wall paper border had turned a neon green color. Called Jayco but of course it is now out of warranty and according to the not so nice rep for jayco this is not covered under warranty. I asked to speak to a rep and she said this was the final word and that was it. So okay figured we could repair this ourselves. Then went to let the slide out and did not work, this has continued to be a problem off and on but we have just dealt w/it b/c of course no one would help us again b/c no warranty. We used the trailer last week for a great week at Natural Bridge and in the middle of our trip we noticed water dripping from under the trailer. After investigating further-looks like freshwater that collected in and soaked the insulation causing the insulation to sag. First noticed after 2 showers. We turned all of the freshwater supply off to the trailer and used the bath house the rest of the week. There was no water in the RV just outside and it was freshwater. Another problem w/RV outside caps to cover the freshwater and cable TV have completely fallen off along w/severe pieces of wood from around the bed. We are frustrated b/c we bought the trailer b/c of 2 year warranty but now we are thinking we should trade and cut our losses. Previously we owned 2 used campers a terry and sunnybrook and both we over 15 years old w/no problems when we traded but we traded up for room.
fnp@fbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #2

another problem

another minor thing-have had to tighten up the lock twice in 2 years. Some more info on the leak we have used the travel travel 3 other times this year w/out any leak.

please help!
Old 07-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #3

Help!

anyone have suggestions, we like the camper and have called the service center near us but no one has returned our call yet. We are going to try and have it fixed which is much cheaper than new camper. I have been reading post and wonder if our leak is the same as the shower leak others are having.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #4

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum fnp@fbay! Sorry to hear about your expired warranty and the leak happening. From what I've learned from rv'ers on the different rv fourms out there, a leak can be one of the worst. Our warranty expires in less then two months. After realizing some folks find 'stuff' just after the warranty expires, you have inspired us to do one more week long campout and check everything out with a fine tooth comb. I think I will call Jayco to get the couple of minor issues we currently have scheduled for fixes within the next couple of weeks.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:36 PM   #5

lemon

yes, I definitely would test it out a good week and look under the unit after everyone has used the shower. We will wait to hear from the dealer about a possible repair.

Tammy, Scott and minature daschusund "trinka"
Old 07-23-2011, 06:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthi View Post
Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum fnp@fbay! Sorry to hear about your expired warranty and the leak happening. From what I've learned from rv'ers on the different rv fourms out there, a leak can be one of the worst. Our warranty expires in less then two months. After realizing some folks find 'stuff' just after the warranty expires, you have inspired us to do one more week long campout and check everything out with a fine tooth comb. I think I will call Jayco to get the couple of minor issues we currently have scheduled for fixes within the next couple of weeks.
I have the same trailer,..dont we have a 2 yr warranty?....u have a 2010...
jwb023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb023 View Post
Yes there is a 2 yr warranty. But many 2010`s were made in 2009, like mine. My warranty expires in October.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:36 PM   #8

Is the two year warranty from manufacture date or sale date? I have had my trailer since Oct,2010 but was made in Dec.'09. we assumed the warranty was as of our possesion date.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:04 AM   #9

Sorry to hear about your struggle with your trailer. I am in a thousand trails park right now and there are more Jayco G2 trailers here than any other brand. I think despite being on top of maintenance things can happen. By noticing problems early and dealing with them is the best you can do. I know that some have replaced their slide motors, others have had roof leaks,some can go years without a problem. That's how it works.
If it were me I would try and do the repairs myself to save money. You may have to have some repair work done in order to sell it for top dollar. Possibly trading up to a different trailer is the best way to go. Your gonna have to storyboard your options and decide what's best for you. This can happen to any brand of trailer. Even Airstreams had trouble with floor leak problems.

You've taken the right first step and following up from there is about the best you can do at this point I would think. Good luck.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:22 AM   #10

For the other posts warranty is from possession date. I know that owning an RV is like a boat something always needs to be fixed. I just thought that we would not have any major expenses for at least 5 years- b/c Jayco is supposed to be a quality product w/ 2 yr warranty. The lock and outdoor caps are no big deal but the wallpaper border that is a nice neon green, slide and leak are major problems. We have tried to look and assess the leak however the entire underbelly of our RV is enclosed and have tried to obtain a plumbing diagram but no luck so far. The frustrating thing for me is I am making a camper payment and having to spend substantial out of pocket money which is our vacation fund not to mention the time the RV will spend in the shop during our biggest camping season. I am just comparing our current new RV to our previously used campers and the jayco has given us more problems. We traded sunnybrook which was 15 years old w/no problems and supposedly traded up to the jayco. Now we wish we had the old trailer back. We are anxiously awaiting Monday so we can talk w/the service dept at our dealer.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:52 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek700 View Post
Is the two year warranty from manufacture date or sale date? I have had my trailer since Oct,2010 but was made in Dec.'09. we assumed the warranty was as of our possesion date.
That is true, warranty starts from day you take possession, Not date of manufacture. I bought mine Oct `09 so it expires Oct `11
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:45 AM   #12

That's a relief, we have only had a couple of minor issues so far.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb023 View Post
Yes, but we took delivery Sept 15, 2009.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:14 PM   #14

yes mine is the brown leaf or should I say was brown leaf. I will have to check on how the corners are together. At first it was only around the front door but the more I looked the entire border is the nice green color. Poor quality. Even if I did notice this before expired warranty according to Jayco this is not a warranty problem. I think if we keep the trailer and that is a big if-I am just going to lowes and cover w/something of better quality.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:18 PM   #15

The trim paper that passes along the wall above the sink is fading where we wipe down the wall if it gets wet from using the sink. Jayco is sending us a new strip to replace that section.

Another part of the trim wallpaper that ends behind the dinette was not sticking. The dealer fixed it during our first warranty visit and it hasn't come loose since. The paper on ours was all trimmed/cut; none of them torn.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:14 PM   #16

the is quite interesting since so far 2 others according to the posts are having trouble w/the wallpaper. When I called Jayco about the problem I was told that she had never heard of this problem and no one else was having the same complaint.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnp@fbay View Post
the is quite interesting since so far 2 others according to the posts are having trouble w/the wallpaper. When I called Jayco about the problem I was told that she had never heard of this problem and no one else was having the same complaint.
Mine wasn't a major problem and I never mentioned it here. I'm guessing it really may just be an isolated problem perhaps. When we walk around a campground and stop to chit chat with other Jayco owners, the topic of 'what problems have you had' invariably comes up. I haven't had anyone mention the color change you experienced, or even the 2" piece of trim that wasn't clued well on ours.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #18

Tammy,Scott, I agree with your comments. My last trailer was 15 years old and had several leaks. I was hesitant to buy another trailer but we loved going away so we decided to buy a better product this time and went for a Jayco. We bought the extended warranty. It was something my wife wanted us to do and I caved. I don't agree with them but possibly in a situation like yours it would have paid off.
I worked in a hospital for 25 years and thought I would never get sick. I didn't buy insurance on my mortgage and had I, my mortgage would have been paid off. I am on a disability Income which is close to what I use to make. So I lost on that one, but fortunately I'm ok.
Let us know how it goes on Monday. I know it is a raw feeling when this happens especially when you've taken safeguards against this happening.
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Old 07-25-2011, 06:21 PM   #19

Thanks for all the comments. My husband spoke to the dealer today who recommended he cut about a 2inch hole in the black underbelly to help drain the water and air out the insulation. They also gave him tips to trouble shoot ways to find out where the leak is coming from, she estimated about $300.00 repair if we can find the location of the leak. This estimate is much lower than we expected, the dealer is booked out until end of august. He did go and cut the whole and immediate a gush of about a quart of water fell out he also was lucky enough to cut right at 2 pressure hoses. We are going to look and try trouble shooting the leak on Wednesday when I am home to help w/turning water off and on and look for leaks. As for other problems the slide is the other major problem and we will have them check that out when it is at the dealer. Since the tt is out of warranty there are 2 other service places for RV in our area and my husband is actually going to call one of them for advice. I think we have decided to keep trailer until at least next spring and look at the RV shows. So looks like our camping days are on hold for the next month, maybe rodanthe in september, which is my favorite place for vacation.

I will let everyone know how things go.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:08 AM   #20

I'm glad to hear things are looking better for you in a way. I found a small leak in my trailer where the under sink filter goes. Lucky for me it leaked into an open pot I had under there. I was able to reach in and hand tighten it. Tomorrow were heading for Levenworth so I'm glad I fixed it today.
I know some people have chosen to replace the insulation because it takes time to dry and mold may be a problem. Check the posts for more info. The service guys sound like there working with you so that's a good thing. Good luck.
two university students.
Cancer survivor