Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-16-2017, 10:56 AM   #1

Leaky front window?

Jayco Swift 184 BH

I've got a definite leak, it appears to be coming from around the front window.

I'd like to remove, reseal and reinstall the window, does it simply unscrew and sandwich the opening in the wall?

also, what is the likely hood that the leak is actually some where else and I'm looking to fix the wrong area?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

2013 Jayco 184BH
2006 Toyota Tundra Doublecab
Nyindal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Jeff,

I would also look at the white rubber trim seal that goes around the outer surface edge of the window and inner frame, this can be replaced without removing the window. This particular trim seal can shrink, harden, etc., and create leaks.

Yes, removing the interior frame screws will allow removal of the window. If you go this route don't use the standard window gasket seals, use Butyl putty tape...., in my prior Jayco Eagle I did just that to all my windows.

Running a bead of clear silicon caulk along the "top" outer edge of the window frame will help keep water from getting behind the frame...., and run the caulk around the corner radius of the frame and about 2" down the side.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:42 PM   #3

Thank you. I'll check that seal first.

2013 Jayco 184BH
Old 10-16-2017, 04:30 PM   #4

I have a 2017 slx 195rb. It leaked around the front window. Window is fixed and does not open. I removed the inside trip panel and found I could see out through a corner. Even though it was new I did not take it back due to the 175 mile trip each way.

At my dealers suggestion and after reading up on this website I purchased a tube of Quad sealant in clear. I went around the window on the outside and waited a couple of days and used hose at close range to test for mistakes. Did not find any but touched up a couple of spots. Then took the rest of the tube and went over all the windows tops and sides.

Note Quad dries almost instantly. Put it on very carefully, once it on it is done. Wear rubber gloves and be careful. Not sure what would help take it off. Clean any dust or dirt first with alcohol or acetone or you will seal in the dirt. This stuff sticks!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:49 PM   #5

The front window on my 195RB was leaking at the beginning of the season after being uncovered. Here are a couple of posts that details what issues I found and how they were corrected:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post521516

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post524999
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:03 PM   #6

Well, I am back with another front end leak. About the same place on the front bed end. This time I have not found the place but have some ideas. Yesterday I ran through half hour of very heavy rain and wind. First wet spot since last year.

After finding the wet spot I visually inspected it. I still have no idea where so will use high pressure water over the front tomorrow.

Any ideas? I looked at all the suspect seams and just don't have a clue where it is getting in. Last time the gap was visible from the inside and a 1/2 inch long on the corner of the window.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Well, I am back with another front end leak. About the same place on the front bed end. This time I have not found the place but have some ideas. Yesterday I ran through half hour of very heavy rain and wind. First wet spot since last year.

After finding the wet spot I visually inspected it. I still have no idea where so will use high pressure water over the front tomorrow.

Any ideas? I looked at all the suspect seams and just don't have a clue where it is getting in. Last time the gap was visible from the inside and a 1/2 inch long on the corner of the window.
In addition to the two posts I referenced in my post back in October 2017 I had a similar issue early on this season after pulling in heavy rain/wind. This time I am suspecting the horizontal joint just below the front window where the two pieces of siding overlap. When I inspected the joint I found on the side where it lines up with the leak that the joint is loose. Just a tiny bit of pressure on the lower side of the joint and it opened up a little bit of a gap. Add heavy rain and wind and I can see how water could get forced in through the joint.

I used some blue painters tape and masked off either side of the joint and then filled it with Dicor No-sag sealant all the way across. You can't even tell unless you look really close. I am probably going to do the next higher joint as well.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:08 PM   #8

So I hadn’t been able to get the tt out since before I originally posted this question. I ended up not doing any repairs because every time I would check the trailer after or during a heavy rain there were no leaks. Of course yesterday I drove it through the rain and proceeded to find plenty of moisture inside. It appears to be coming through the seem above the above the window not the window itself.
Of course, now cursing myself for not just re-sealing all the seams during the off-season.
Time to interrupt vacation and head to Home Depot.

Will let y’all know how it turns out.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:10 PM   #9

Wonder if me and RogerR were driving through the same rain?

2013 Jayco 184BH
Old 08-02-2018, 07:01 PM   #10

Check for stripped screws around the window frame. I found a bunch on our rear window. If they're not tight there is a chance for leaks. They will have to be replaced with bigger screws.
Moderator on Hi-Lo Trailer Forum
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:10 AM   #11

Front window leaks...more common than you would think.
Easy fix. My 145 right out of the gate coming home from the dealer.
Ran a bead of Pro-Flex Clear around the top and down the sides.
Leak gone.
I keep a quart with and acid brush in my on the road repair kit.