Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2018, 07:50 AM   #1

leaky Thetford Toilet

Morning! So we got a new 2017 Jayco Feather 24 RBM, love the trailer tows beautifully (we had a 2015 Shasta that was a bit of a elephant to tow down the road). Anyways, the 1st time out no problem 2nd time once filled with water and started the water pump major water leak out the back of the toilet. I replaced Water Module using the kit as my dealership couldn't give me an appointment until August
That install went basically easy and major leak has gone except I have this little leak from the that area. I keep tightening the nut but the instructions say just to hand tighten I'm almost tempted to put a wrench on the nut, any thoughts?
My wife keeps saying plumbing tape but I always heard not for plastic fittings.

Dave
windmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:58 AM   #2

white plumbing tape is your friend , your wife is right ......again :-)

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:10 AM   #3

leaky Thetford Toilet

A HAPPY WIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE

I'll put some plumbing tape on the thread and give it a go!

Dave
windmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:11 AM   #4

It depends on what is supposed to make the seal. If there is a compression ring around the pipe then that is what should make the seal, not the nut
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmoor View Post
... That install went basically easy and major leak has gone except I have this little leak from the that area. I keep tightening the nut but the instructions say just to hand tighten ...
Dave
I'm assuming that the leak is constant, and does not occur just when the toilet is flushed. Right?

First, I think that there is a washer inside the fitting that you are tightening. I would suggest loosening the fitting and looking into it. Check to see if the washer is straight. Maybe the washer is damaged?

Also, I assume there is a PEX pipe connected to the fitting that attaches to the toilet. Maybe the slight leak is at the PEX pipe connection and not at the fitting where it attaches to the toilet?
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:47 PM   #6

I found my leak to be from the cheap **** plastic valve assembly. I thought it was a loose connection because the water was dripping down onto that water supply pipe. Turned out that the leak originated from the top of the valve assembly when you’re pressing half pedal down to refill after a flush. Cheap part in the sense that it’s glimsy design will always leak or fail at one point. I’m on valve #2 in less than 3 years. Thetford junk unfortunately. Now I see why some will change out the toilet completely.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote