Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2024, 09:34 AM   #1

Leave Plugged in Shore Power at Home??

Iím installing an RV Power Pole at my home. Currently my TT is 30A but Iím putting in a 50A (for possible upgrade later) and will use a 50a to 30a Dog Bone like I do at Campgrounds.
My question is: Should I leave the TT connected to shore power while ďat restĒ between trips out? I know I need to check the battery(s) water level periodically, but are there any other considerations to be mindful of.
BroRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 09:39 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroRobin View Post
Iím installing an RV Power Pole at my home. Currently my TT is 30A but Iím putting in a 50A (for possible upgrade later) and will use a 50a to 30a Dog Bone like I do at Campgrounds.
My question is: Should I leave the TT connected to shore power while ďat restĒ between trips out? I know I need to check the battery(s) water level periodically, but are there any other considerations to be mindful of.
Did that for close to 40 years and all I ever did was checked the batteries.
Old 05-24-2024, 09:48 AM   #3

Most RV power poles allow for multiple receptacles and installing them during the power pole installation likely would be more cost effective than doing it later if you were so inclined to do so and then you would have a 50A, 30A, and 20A receptacle which could come in handy. I would also test the power outlets with a meter prior to plugging in the RV especially if you go ahead with a 30A RV receptacle as many electricians aren't aware of the differences in a 30A 120v RV receptacle vs a 30A 240v dryer receptacle (the latter can be very damaging to plug your RV into). If you only have the 50A receptacle only then you shouldn't have to worry in regards to the voltage as with the 30A connection.

In any case, I leave mine plugged in all the time, nothing is concerning in doing that as long as like you stated you check the battery water level periodically. The only other consideration I can think of is with lightning and staying connected all of the time which increases the risk that the RV may be connected to shore power during a Thunder Storm. For that reason, I would consider installing\using a quality surge protector hardwired in the RV or an external surge protector at the receptacle at your power pole. ~CA
Old 05-24-2024, 09:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Did that for close to 40 years and all I ever did was checked the batteries.
35 years plugged in 24/7....3 different RV's. My current TT has been plugged in since 2017. No issues.

After a trip when I drain my water tank and water heater I turn off the water heater circuit breaker so I don't turn it on without water. Made that mistake years ago, lesson learned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post

The only other consideration I can think of is with lightning and staying connected all of the time which increases the risk that the RV may be connected to shore power during a Thunder Storm.
I unplug during a thunderstorm, even though I use my Bulldog EMS while plugged in at home.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 09:56 AM   #5

I leave mine plugged in at all times at home. When I had a LA that required maintenance, I would check the water level every few months.

When I installed a shore power box on the side of my garage, I installed a 20/30/50 amp panel, it was very easy. I just pulled one set of wires, and connected them to the terminals in the box. Super easy. I really like having the full panel outside the garage.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 10:43 AM   #6

Thanks. I already have an EMS hardwired in my TT that I installed a couple of years ago.
I guess I did mis- speak, I’m not actually putting in a pole but rather a 50a RV box on the side of my shop where the power panel for the shop is on the inside.
BroRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 02:36 PM   #7
Site Team

Ours is always plugged in at home to a 30a box next to our shed. We use a dog bone as ours is 50a. Only time itís off is if we have a thunderstorm. We can throw a breaker in the house.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 02:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Ours is always plugged in at home to a 30a box next to our shed. We use a dog bone as ours is 50a. Only time it’s off is if we have a thunderstorm. We can throw a breaker in the house.
Norty,
Turning the breaker off inside the house during a storm only reduces the risk of lightning damage slightly. The connected conductors can still get energized and do harm. But still better than running connected.
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 05:40 PM   #9

Once the battery goes back and hooked up in the spring, ours stays plugged in but just to a 20 amp circuit (only thing available). I have enough load from the CO2 detector and who knows what else that the battery will be drained in a couple weeks if I leave the trailer unplugged. Between trips we use it like a guest house, just no AC with 20 amps.
Jaykol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 07:49 PM   #10

I have solar and a 100 amp lithium. I only plug in if I need air conditioning or use of 110 volt AC. But I also have 200 watts of solar so my Renogy lithium never drops below 99%.

Why use even a small draw of house power when I have free sunshine!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 11:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykol View Post
Once the battery goes back and hooked up in the spring, ours stays plugged in but just to a 20 amp circuit (only thing available). I have enough load from the CO2 detector and who knows what else that the battery will be drained in a couple weeks if I leave the trailer unplugged. Between trips we use it like a guest house, just no AC with 20 amps.
Are you sure you can’t run AC on 20 amps?
Old 05-25-2024, 07:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cooper View Post
Are you sure you canít run AC on 20 amps?
I actually don't. But I thought (and maybe wrongly) that a power sag was bad for the compressor even if the circuit didn't pop the breaker. Is it a try and see situation?
Jaykol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 08:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykol View Post
I actually don't. But I thought (and maybe wrongly) that a power sag was bad for the compressor even if the circuit didn't pop the breaker. Is it a try and see situation?
Did it all the time at Fairgrounds while at a rally. You just need to switch the compressor off ( go to fan only) to run other appliances. In the early days that's also all numerous Canadian CG's had available.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 09:25 AM   #14

15,000btu window units plug into 120 volt receptacles.
Old 05-25-2024, 10:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cooper View Post
15,000btu window units plug into 120 volt receptacles.
X2, I use to run mine off a 15 amp outlet and an extension code, when it was crazy hot/humid while loading.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 11:12 AM   #16

If you use an extension cord to supply power to an RV with AC running, do not coil the cord up. Spread it out in the shade as much as you can. Coiled in the sun builds up heat and can exceed its temperature rating deteriorating the insulation on the copper. Not good!
Old 05-25-2024, 12:33 PM   #17
Site Team

I used to run mine on a 15a outlet for short periods just to keep it tolerable when loading. I would not hesitate to do it again in a pinch. Just monitor the ac voltage while it's running and make sure its over 108vac.

Turn off all other draws on the ac supply except the converter. Mine did fine using that regimen.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 03:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I used to run mine on a 15a outlet for short periods just to keep it tolerable when loading. I would not hesitate to do it again in a pinch. Just monitor the ac voltage while it's running and make sure its over 108vac.

Turn off all other draws on the ac supply except the converter. Mine did fine using that regimen.
I do it on a regular basis, but I am just keeping the charge on the batteries, running the fridge just before a trip, and running lights and water pump periodically. Yes I heard that 108v is sort of a critical low voltage. I get that in the trailer with a 12 gage extension cord and while running the air conditioner (although it is for testing). If you do run an extension cord, be aware that the cord itself acts as a resistor and if you overload the extension cord you can start a fire without tripping a breaker.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 03:45 PM   #19

PS, the converter that I have, with the (2) AGM batteries is quite good. My system is 2019 vintage and I have added very little distilled water.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 09:39 AM   #20

I use my little window unit that came in my 195RB all the time on regular ( not 30 amp) outlets. But I also keep my Power Watchdog on the outlet to prevent low voltage. Air conditioner and microwave at the same time may drop the voltage and trigger my watchdog. Low voltage can harm compressors and this can happen at RV 30 amp outlets when the park are overwhelmed.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote