Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-29-2021, 05:06 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbat View Post
The recall notice can be found at https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...7V290-4560.pdf We were notified that our lights were recalled based on the build sheet of our camper (per Jayco). It turns out they installed different lights than the recalled ones in our camper. The build sheet was wrong. If you compare your lights to the ones posted by JimD (above) and they are the same, then your lights are bad, regardless of what your dealer says. I ultimately called Command Electronics, who manufactured our lights, and they confirmed that I did not get the recalled ones. They were willing to send replacements for all of my lights, if they were recalled. If you want the straight answer, check to see if Command Electronics is imprinted on the white backer board that the LED board attaches to. You can call their customer service department at (269) 679-4011. You will get the correct information from them. The dealer is obligated to switch out the lights if they are bad, because it's a federal safety recall. Good luck.
Thank you Oldbat. The recall is dated May 9, 2017 we bought in Canada in June, 2017 and took delivery in July, 2017 we have the bad lights (10 remaining) but Jayco is insisting that our unit was built after the recall which is ridiculous and the recall does not apply. We have got in touch with Command but at this point nothing. We can install ourselves Dave is still a licensed electrician (retired). It is obvious that dealer released our unit without changing over the lights when RECALL states: Affected units cannot be released from dealerships untll the Recall Remedy is performed. We just want to get the bad lights out and the good ones in. We have had a unit go on fire (dealer was driving for a dining table to bed conversation) on the highway (mechanics issue) and it was not pretty!
Anne and Dave Marsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 10:03 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne and Dave Marsden View Post
The recall is dated May 9, 2017 we bought in Canada in June, 2017 and took delivery in July, 2017 we have the bad lights (10 remaining) but Jayco is insisting that our unit was built after the recall which is ridiculous and the recall does not apply.
It has nothing to do with the when you bought it is based on when the lights themselves were manufactured and installed. If the recall was in May that means the lights were probably installed in the rigs built prior to April since recalls take a while. What's the build date on your rig? It is on the white/yellow sticker on the lower front driver's side.

Also the recall was for "OVERHEATING".
Old 05-13-2023, 05:35 AM   #23

I purchased my Jay Flight SLX 2018 and they have these 6 LED lights inside.
They are one by one flickering and getting warmer than should be.
I purchased trailer second hand.
Does anyone know if the recall will still be honored?
Laurel Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 06:00 AM   #24

The recall was for 2017 model year campers, and if yours is a 2018 then you probably don't have recalled lights; however, strange things happen in factories. The only way you will know for sure is to contact the manufacturer of the lights. Remove a cover from the light and check for the manufacturer, and get the part numbers off the light. Jayco used Command Electronics and it is those that were recalled. If you have those lights, I would call Command directly. I believe the phone number is (269) 679-4011. Give them the part number of your lights, and they will tell you if yours are recalled. It's a Federal Recall, so it never expires. If yours are recalled, you will be able to get them replaced for free. If your lights aren't made by Command Lighting, then there is no recall and you are on your own.
oldbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 06:16 AM   #25

I had a 2017 Jayco and the recall was never honored. The dealer never listened to my description of the issue, turned the lights on and off and proclaimed them functional.
At first I ordered a replacement from etrailer:

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Interior...ent=&position=

When others failed, I ordered a 6 pack from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/RVZONE-Ceilin...10362177&psc=1

We always liked our Jayco (our first RV) but never had anything good to say about Jayco or dealer service

Good luck and enjoy the journey
deewaltguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 06:47 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbat View Post
The recall was for 2017 model year campers, and if yours is a 2018 then you probably don't have recalled lights; however, strange things happen in factories. The only way you will know for sure is to contact the manufacturer of the lights. Remove a cover from the light and check for the manufacturer, and get the part numbers off the light. Jayco used Command Electronics and it is those that were recalled. If you have those lights, I would call Command directly. I believe the phone number is (269) 679-4011. Give them the part number of your lights, and they will tell you if yours are recalled. It's a Federal Recall, so it never expires. If yours are recalled, you will be able to get them replaced for free. If your lights aren't made by Command Lighting, then there is no recall and you are on your own.
Thanks for your info oldbat
Yes these lights are Command Electronics.
I'll give them a call today or Monday to see whats up.
Makes me nervous to use them now. Grr.
I'm hoping the recall is honored here in Canada too.
Old 05-13-2023, 07:57 AM   #27

Ok so mine has 9 leds in them but are flickering like a strobe light.
Does this mean they are garbage or something else is wrong.
One by one they are doing this after being on for about 15 min
Old 05-13-2023, 08:31 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel Smith View Post
Ok so mine has 9 leds in them but are flickering like a strobe light.
Does this mean they are garbage or something else is wrong.
One by one they are doing this after being on for about 15 min
If they're all flickering, maybe it's the dimmer?
Old 05-14-2023, 07:30 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
If they're all flickering, maybe it's the dimmer?
They aren't all strobing, just 7 of them so far.
I'm going to change the battery on the trailer today to see if it makes a difference but in the meantime I have purchased a pack of new lights from Amazon to replace them.