Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-12-2017, 06:26 AM   #1

LED Lights Recall-Am I being Stonewalled?

Please Help!

I got the recall notice concerning the LED lights for my 2017 28RLS in May. As of the other day, my dealer, Cunningham's Campers in Jeffersonville Indiana told me that they are still waiting on Jayco to send them the replacement lights and have no idea when they will be received. What are others hearing?

Another Issue - CATCH 22 ???

The letter has severe warning about leaving the lights on for over an hour...
B U T ... The next paragraph starts with statement "The recall remedy is to replace ALL the AFFECTED lights in addition to any light lens that notes damage."
I have had one blown 15A fuse in the circuit of the lights over my recliners. So, am I suppose to always NOT burn my lights over an hour so I will never expose the problem???And since none of my lights have ever smoked or burned, am I exempt from this recall. Of course, I have never burned them for over an hour, and now I am mandated not to. Any thoughts on this.

Please share your experiences and thought!

tomanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:32 AM   #2

Two of mine melted in the bathroom on my 2017 WH 24RKS. Camping world replaced all the lights. Took about 2 weeks.

Scott_Trailer_Newbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:38 AM   #3

Here's lots of experiences and thoughts -

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...hts-46360.html

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:54 AM   #4

Bottom line the recall says the dealers are not to allow any affected Jayco models to leave the lot before the lights are replaced. I only found out about this after my lights melted. I googled it, printed it out and went to camping world. I showed them the recall and asked if they knew about it and they said yes. Seems they don't read down far enough where it says they are to replace the lights before letting the TT leave the lot. The SB header should should have this at the top because mine almost caused a fire. I must have left them on then closed the bathroom door. They defiantly get hot enough to catch wood on fire. The old ones have 6 LED and the new ones have 9 LED.
Scott_Trailer_Newbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:56 AM   #5

tomanderson - I am also waiting for Cunningham to get the replacement LEDs for my 29RKS. If we are being stonewalled, I believe it rests with Jayco. Cunningham has always been very accommodating. I am being very cautious about the use of my interior LEDs, never leaving them "on".
Old 09-12-2017, 07:15 AM   #6
Site Team

From reading the results reported by others, there does not appear to be any great delay in getting the replacements from Jayco.

Just my observation from reading on forums.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:35 AM   #7

I assume Camping World got the required prior authorization as so sternly stated in the recall letter and that you didn't have to pay for it.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:43 AM   #8

I would have agreed with you 100% until July when I made my first inquiry about this.
But apparently according to other posts, the delay may not be Jayco. I am going to call Jayco a little later and I will post what I find out.
The problem I am having with Cunningham is that Erica (bless her heart) has been off with a health issue for a extended time. That girl is worth or weight in gold!
Maury on the other hand, has been "busy" and unable to return my calls, even after leaving a call with Larry to relay my message to his brother.
However, I bought a brand new unit which did not include any discount based on the lack of customer service caused by Erica not being able to take care of their problems.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomanderson View Post
Please Help!

I got the recall notice concerning the LED lights for my 2017 28RLS in May. As of the other day, my dealer, Cunningham's Campers in Jeffersonville Indiana told me that they are still waiting on Jayco to send them the replacement lights and have no idea when they will be received. What are others hearing?

Another Issue - CATCH 22 ???

The letter has severe warning about leaving the lights on for over an hour...
B U T ... The next paragraph starts with statement "The recall remedy is to replace ALL the AFFECTED lights in addition to any light lens that notes damage."
I have had one blown 15A fuse in the circuit of the lights over my recliners. So, am I suppose to always NOT burn my lights over an hour so I will never expose the problem???And since none of my lights have ever smoked or burned, am I exempt from this recall. Of course, I have never burned them for over an hour, and now I am mandated not to. Any thoughts on this.

Please share your experiences and thought!
So, I just got off the phone with Polly at Jayco customer service and I found out the following:
1. The recall kit includes replacements for all of the LED's outlined in the recall letter.
2. The have made this recall the highest priority in customer service. They are shipping out recall kits immediately upon receipt of request from dealer.
3. If dealer is "to busy", they will find another dealer in the area to do the work.
4. 5 minutes after talking to Polly, I received a call from the serviceman at Cunningham's requesting me to go out to my trailer and count the number of lights I needed. (He obviously had never ordered a set for a 28RLS before nor did he have a service manual which listed the number of lights.) He also informed me that if I would just come and spend 10 minutes watching them work, I would then realize how busy they are and understand their situation. I felt obliged to share with him that I had just retired from 45 years in the healthcare field and indeed understand what "busy" is but that I did not have the luxury of making such statements to my customers.
5. When I called my tally of lights back, the owner/brother of the dealership in charge of service told me that the parts person requested my recall kt back in July and they still hadn't received them yet. (Gee, I wonder how many she ordered?) So it is Jayco's fault.

S O ... What is a guy to believe ????

I will keep you posted.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomanderson View Post
So, I just got off the phone with Polly at Jayco customer service and I found out the following:
1. The recall kit includes replacements for all of the LED's outlined in the recall letter.
2. The have made this recall the highest priority in customer service. They are shipping out recall kits immediately upon receipt of request from dealer.
3. If dealer is "to busy", they will find another dealer in the area to do the work.
4. 5 minutes after talking to Polly, I received a call from the serviceman at Cunningham's requesting me to go out to my trailer and count the number of lights I needed. (He obviously had never ordered a set for a 28RLS before nor did he have a service manual which listed the number of lights.) He also informed me that if I would just come and spend 10 minutes watching them work, I would then realize how busy they are and understand their situation. I felt obliged to share with him that I had just retired from 45 years in the healthcare field and indeed understand what "busy" is but that I did not have the luxury of making such statements to my customers.
5. When I called my tally of lights back, the owner/brother of the dealership in charge of service told me that the parts person requested my recall kt back in July and they still hadn't received them yet. (Gee, I wonder how many she ordered?) So it is Jayco's fault.

S O ... What is a guy to believe ????

I will keep you posted.
Just got call from dealer... My lights have been ordered. (Gee, I wish I knew how to insert an mp3 file of the Jeopardy wait music...!)