Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2018, 10:08 PM   #1

Question LED Recall... How to replace myself?

2017 26 bhs. I live about 100 miles from the nearest dealer. Jayco said they would possibly work with a non dealer. Problem is that the local shops appear to not want to work with jayco. Is there a way to just have the lights shipped to me so I can spend the 30 min replacing them rather than having to go through all the trouble of a long trip for lights?
Oregontrx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:25 PM   #2

Call Jayco. They are the one's who can answer your question.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:29 PM   #3

They initially told me only a dealer could do it. Second time around the said another shop could be approved but that they wouldn't just send them to me. I was hoping someone here had possibly found another way.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:40 PM   #4

Since it is a recall, it's possible they feel there is some liability involved. I get where you are coming from. I'd have to just do the math on what it would cost for me to just replace them myself vs the cost and inconvenience of hauling the trailer to a dealer.

Have you tried to get your selling dealer to submit the claim and send you the lights?
Old 05-22-2018, 11:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post

Have you tried to get your selling dealer to submit the claim and send you the lights?
Ill try to contact them and see what they say. I do believe the issue is the liability. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregontrx4 View Post
Ill try to contact them and see what they say. I do believe the issue is the liability. Thanks.
Definitely. They need a 3rd party to sign off that the work was done.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:35 PM   #7

The recall is a safety issue. At the time, Jayco was told to not allow any new trailers off the lot with this light. The 6 LED light over heats, melts and could potenicall cause a fire. The two in my bathroom completely melted on my 2017 trailer, so I’ve seen it. I needed to go on a camping trip so I replaced them myself [now 9 LED], but when I got back the dealer did the rest under warranty.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:24 PM   #8

I had the recall on my 17 feather. The independent shops could not do it for liability reasons as it was a safety recall and my local jayco dealer would not because I did not buy from them and jayco would not send me parts as it has to be signed off. So, I loaded up and drove the 3 hours to where I bought it. I had set it up prior so they had all of the parts ready to go. I had the first appointment and an hour and a half later we were on our way. While waiting, we checked out just about every camper on the lot. When they were done, we headed to a campground and spent 3 nights there. So we just made a camping trip out of it with the early pit stop at the dealer. All in all, we made the hassle of the recall into a camping adventure.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:14 PM   #9

I have a 2017, 26BH that Jayco says is not on the recall list.

Still, my lights get very hot. Hard to imagine how they could be energy efficient with the amount of heat they produce. They also produce a horrible quality of light.

Even when you have them replaced by Jayco, they're going to put in a junky light like I have in my trailer.

I replaced a half dozen of my lights with some Lumitronix lights that were twelve bucks apiece. They put out a more diffused light, and I ordered mine with the warmer quality of light (about 3000k). Much easier lights to live with. Also have a two way switch for full or half output. And they run much cooler.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:08 AM   #10

Hello.. we have a WH 27 DSRL.. 2016.. we took ours in for the re-call.. they checked with Jayco and were told my specific trailer did not actually need it.. that Jayco sent out a blast o gram to cover all potential issues..
I would call Jayco, and ask if your specific trailer needed it.. have the VIN# ready... If they say it did not need it.. get a name and have them document you call in case there's an issue later...

The dealer I went to had them document it, and I have it on the receipt as well. Might save you some time.

If it does in fact need the recall.. I would not do it myself.. if there is a fire later, and you did it.. you would not have any recourse with Jayco.. just a suggestion.