Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2018, 03:52 AM   #1

Let me hear your reviews on truck and trailer back up cameras you have

So this is a 2 question thread. I am getting a rear cam for my truck to help with hooking up my Propride hitch. This is a must buy option for me per everyone's advice who owns a Propride or Hensley. I am wondering what some of you have, and what you found to work best? My buddy has one that is just a simple license plate frame that hooks into the 12 volts at the hitch. Its a few years old and seems to still work pretty good. Thought about going this route but wondered if anyone here had something awesome.

Also I want a TT reverse cam. My Whitehawk is prewired for the furrion observation system. I went to Amazon to check them out and the reviews are absolutely horrible! I mean unreal bad. I could never buy it after seeing that. What other options are there that work good? Thank all.
Uh Oh Better Get Jayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:40 AM   #2

Ok so I just discovered that there are 2 Furrion camera versions. The one with bad reviews is a backup only camera FRC12TAPK-BL.

The other which is a FOS48TAPK-BL backup/high speed observation camera has much better reviews. So I may reconsider buying one now.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:43 AM   #3

I can't speak to the truck backup camera as our truck has a built in one, it does making hitching up a piece of cake.

I do have the Furion Observation camera and it's great. The display in the truck could be a bit larger, however it does meet the need. Makes backing up the RV easier, and lane changes on the high way are a piece of cake with it.
markscns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:56 AM   #4

I would classify the Furion observation camera as “adequate”. The display is very small, and the picture quality is fairly grainy. Depending on lighting conditions, the picture can be kind of washed out. If you don’t have the antennae lined up just perfectly, you’ll drop the picture constantly, and get lag when you do have a picture. Again, it gets the job done, but if I was shopping again, I would try hard to find a better system (if one exists), or explore having a hard-wired system installed. If you do get one through your dealer, make sure they price match Amazon. (About a $150 price difference in our case).
bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:43 AM   #5

I just ordered this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 So I'll be checking it out soon.
Tim15856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:45 AM   #6

Tim15856: I'm very interested in your thoughts on that camera. I'm looking to get one to do double-duty: Hooked up to my x213 to help when backing up and driving, as well as hooking up to my wife's Forester (backing up only) when it is not connected to the trailer.
2009 Jayco 1206 Tent Trailer (sold)
paul_ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:06 AM   #7

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post573048

We got a Voyager for our TT and I am 100% happy with it. It almost never loses signal even at highway speeds. If it does lose signal it's only for a second and then right back up.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat77 View Post
I would classify the Furion observation camera as “adequate”.
I would rate it as better than adequate for our use but that may be dependent on your rig setup. We have a 28BHBE and tow with an F350 crew cab. On our 8500 mile trip last summer I saw the picture go out twice for about 2 seconds each time. I have the camera mounted high and centered on the back of the trailer.

If we're right at the borderline length, it's possible that someone with a few more feet of trailer or more structure in the way (5th-wheel), may find the experience to be less satisfactory.

As far as usage goes I don't find that it helps backing up very much, but it's wonderful on the highway.
John1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:47 PM   #9

I have the Furrion camera set up that Jayco sells as an option. It works very well and haven’t had any dropped signal issues with it. The picture on the monitor is more than adequate for backing up and changing lanes.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:52 PM   #10

I installed the Furrion Observation camera on my 2017 Jayfeather 25BH and it works great.
6wate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:46 AM   #11

https://www.tadibrothers.com/product...-backup-camera

This digital wireless rear view backup kit is the perfect addition to the best campers on the market. This Rear view system is built with automatic night vision and has a wireless range of over 150 feet.

This system includes a 9 inch screen that you can also upgrade the monitor so that it will split 2 cameras as well. The reason we call this systems “Built in” is because they have their digital transmitters built directly into the backup camera and rearview monitor this saves space and allows for better results.

We also include a FREE cigarette adapter for your rear view screen which will make it even easier to install, we also suggest purchasing the suction cup accessory (Located on the right of the page) for an even simpler installation experience but the dash mount that is included is very durable and easy to mount.

One last option we would like for you to consider is the audio upgrade, this will allow 1 way communication from the backup camera to the rear view monitor, it is something that we only recently were able to bring to the market and we know that it will make backing up even safer for those behind you.
The Wireless backup camera Has a 120° Degree viewable angle, its waterproof and has auto night vision. The camera is one of the most durable we have, with incredible adjustability and night vision clarity.

The RV Box camera has a metal sun shield visor to protect you from glare and pebbles. This is by far our toughest built camera. It has been regularly used in cars, vans, buses and even industrial sized caterpillar trucks, operated in the harsh oil sand of Canada. This reverse camera can take a direct hit from a rock and it will still work like new. It has also been very popular with Travel Trailers because its housing allows you to install the cameras on multiple sides of your Trailer.

The CCD lens is the clearest and highest quality camera TadiBrothers sells, also called the HD Backup Camera.

This reverse camera is also a wireless camera so there is no need to run cables through your Car or RV.
TadiBrothers only sells one type of wireless camera because itsthe ONLY one on the market that is reliable

This wireless camera has BUILT IN transmitters (built in Antenna) just simply connect the antenna.

If you have a pre-installed Furrion housing on your Trailer or RV, we have a bracket adapter to make our camera plug and play.
This Digital Wireless reverse Camera has a flawless range of 150ft+ (when we tested it in open space we have seen a range of 215ft). This Digital camera is compatible with any of our digital monitor. It is 100% weather, water, and mud proof. It is extremely durable and has been tested and consistently used in the harshest environments.

With the TadiBrothers promise, you have our 30 day guarantee to return the item for an exchange or a full refund. In addition, all our cameras monitor, and car DVD players purchased from TadiBrothers are always compatible with each other. So feel free to mix and match to create your own ultimate vehicular system. (Ask us about our 4-8 cameras split screen options for security, buses, or RVs)
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:18 AM   #12

My 2007 Chevy Avalanche came with a built in camera, its ok, wide view and helps 110% while booking up to my Trailer or Boat...
2019 - Jayco - JayFeather SLX 174BH
enri1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:59 AM   #13

A couple of months ago I bought a new Garmin Driveluxe 51 LMT-S, I just installed a camera on my truck today, instantly linked up with the GPS. Excellent picture, backed up first try to my trailer. The camera mounts on the license plate and the sending unit sits tucked away inside the p/u bed near the tailgate, hardwired to the backup light. The nice thing is I can add up to four cameras to the GPS. Now that I see how simple this is to install and use I plan to add one or two more cameras specifically to the rear of the trailer.

I would highly recommend this setup

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:17 AM   #14
Site Team

Just a little different thought to add here. I have an iBall Wireless Hitch Camera that I use with my 22BHM. It is magnetic mount and I simply stick it on the tailgate of my old Ram when I am backing in to the trailer or even more often, stick it on the back bumper of my trailer when I am backing in to a site.

It has worked very well for me to this point and is very clear even when mounted to the rear of the trailer. Others have reported that they get some static with their application.

It isn't intended to be permanently mounted like the others discussed here. But does offer the ability to be portable and very easy to use.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrotor View Post
A couple of months ago I bought a new Garmin Driveluxe 51 LMT-S, I just installed a camera on my truck today, instantly linked up with the GPS. Excellent picture, backed up first try to my trailer. The camera mounts on the license plate and the sending unit sits tucked away inside the p/u bed near the tailgate, hardwired to the backup light. The nice thing is I can add up to four cameras to the GPS. Now that I see how simple this is to install and use I plan to add one or two more cameras specifically to the rear of the trailer.

I would highly recommend this setup
I didn't know Garmin had backup camera's for their GPS. I'll have to see if the BC-30 is compatible with my older Nuvi GPS. It would be one less display to put on my dash. I read a couple of negatives, one that it doesn't work in low light and the other major problem was the screen update lag was too much. One review said it could be 5 secs or longer behind. That would really hurt connecting up the hitch.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:09 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim15856 View Post
I didn't know Garmin had backup camera's for their GPS. I'll have to see if the BC-30 is compatible with my older Nuvi GPS. It would be one less display to put on my dash. I read a couple of negatives, one that it doesn't work in low light and the other major problem was the screen update lag was too much. One review said it could be 5 secs or longer behind. That would really hurt connecting up the hitch.
I will have to keep an eye on the issues you mentioned, as of yet I have not had much opportunity to analyze it.

Last night in the dark, I backed up to my trailer hitch and stopped with in 4 or 5 inches, dead center on target. It was difficult to see the black tongue which is at a camp site, sitting level, but about 3 inches below the trailer ball. I felt this was good for my 1st attempt to use the camera. I was thinking a strip of 3M reflective tape on the leadin edge of the tongue would remedy, but as stated, limited experience with actual use so far.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:55 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Just a little different thought to add here. I have an iBall Wireless Hitch Camera that I use with my 22BHM. It is magnetic mount and I simply stick it on the tailgate of my old Ram when I am backing in to the trailer or even more often, stick it on the back bumper of my trailer when I am backing in to a site.

It has worked very well for me to this point and is very clear even when mounted to the rear of the trailer. Others have reported that they get some static with their application.

It isn't intended to be permanently mounted like the others discussed here. But does offer the ability to be portable and very easy to use.

That's a great idea! Hadn't really thought about doing a mag mount. You could use it anywhere then and not be locked down to any one vehicle or non vehicle applications.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_ottawa View Post
Tim15856: I'm very interested in your thoughts on that camera. I'm looking to get one to do double-duty: Hooked up to my x213 to help when backing up and driving, as well as hooking up to my wife's Forester (backing up only) when it is not connected to the trailer.
I checked into the Garmin camera and checked the compatibility list, the nuvi 2589 and 2597 are compatible, my 2595 is not, so I decided to keep the one I ordered. I just got around to install it yesterday, so far it's OK. The display is probably what you would expect, not going to watch movies on it anyway The installation was easy but I did take off the licence plate holder since it raised the camera where the tailgate might hit it. I removed the rear light and connected it to the reverse light. I didn't use the included connectors and instead used these https://www.specialized.net/3m-scotc...iABEgKEavD_BwE that I have from when I climbed telephone poles. These will help guard against corrosion. The instructions talk about pairing the camera but they were already paired. I haven't played with it very much but it is centered over the license plate so it's directly behind and above the hitch. I backup up a bit and the response was fast. I also tried it at night and I can see directly behind me for at least 15' or so. I go camping June 8 so will get a better feel for it then.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uh Oh Better Get Jayco View Post
So this is a 2 question thread. I am getting a rear cam for my truck to help with hooking up my Propride hitch. This is a must buy option for me per everyone's advice who owns a Propride or Hensley. I am wondering what some of you have, and what you found to work best? My buddy has one that is just a simple license plate frame that hooks into the 12 volts at the hitch. Its a few years old and seems to still work pretty good. Thought about going this route but wondered if anyone here had something awesome.

Also I want a TT reverse cam. My Whitehawk is prewired for the furrion observation system. I went to Amazon to check them out and the reviews are absolutely horrible! I mean unreal bad. I could never buy it after seeing that. What other options are there that work good? Thank all.

I bought my camera from qualitymobilevideo.com. I’m sure they will have quality options for you. I wired my camera ON DEMAND using a switch. There’s times you want to see what’s going on regardless of whether you’re in reverse.
Attached Thumbnails
D5864A33-7763-4B64-AE02-210C4BFCB138.jpg  
Old 06-06-2018, 06:53 AM   #20

I've had two license plate Mont cameras. Both went bad from heat or rain with in 2 years. I use an "eyeball" now. Works well for hitching up and use it sometimes backing trailer. Not a permanent mount so camera is kept out of weather, but can use for differant views. Have used it to just view outside door of trailer.
ml4moore is offline   Reply With Quote