Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-24-2015, 08:21 PM   #1

Let's talk caulk!

Hi all! So my test run with the new TT this weekend was a resounding success! I managed to hook up and run and break down all the systems except the black tank dump thing which will have to wait for a weekend use.

Now, one thing I noticed is that there are several areas in the TT that are not caulked that I would always have caulked in my home. Most notably is the area where the base of the toilet meets the floor and the other is where the metal band is running around the top of the tub . This worries me as there are a couple of small spaces open between that band and the wall.

My question: should these be left uncaulked? Does it void some weird portion of the warranty if I do this? (TT is brand new.) The other place left uncaulked is around the base of the one and only faucet.

If caulking is ok, what is the best to use? Just plain silicone (which is fairly easy to remove.)

Just seems strange!

Thanks!
Lynnmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:45 PM   #2

Some reading, I doubt some extra caulk would void a warranty.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:10 PM   #3

If your tub is overlapped by the sidewalls I would not caulk that area. it is my understanding that space allows the walls to breathe and keeps moisture from forming behind the walls.
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:14 PM   #4

X2 on not caulking the tub area. The dealer specifically told me not to on a previous trailer for the reason ninjahbob states.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:31 PM   #5

Thanks, ninjahbob and sailor. But where is the water from the shower going when it slips down the walls and between those spaces? ��
Lynnmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnmcd View Post
Thanks, ninjahbob and sailor. But where is the water from the shower going when it slips down the walls and between those spaces? ��
I would need to see a picture of what you are talking about. Most of the side walls overlap the tub and shower pans so it would be hard for water to go up and under the wall.
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:33 AM   #7

You definitely shouldn't caulk bottom of shower,the lip of the tub runs up a bit and it takes alot for water to leak out,or if somehow your shower hose comes loose and the water runs down the faucet it will leak, **** kids.lol. Also I was always told you aren't supposed to caulk your toilet at home since you wouldn't know if wax ring is leaking if it's caulked
314BHDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:36 AM   #8

The shower or tub pan has a lip that goes up behind that wall about an inch or so. The water eventually gets back into the tub or shower base. On some pans, that lip does not extend all the way to the edge of the base, as with mine. Stopped about an inch short of the edge of the pan. Mine leaked where the shower door track was at this point. Hard to explain, but I took mine all the wall apart and sealed at this point, but the rest of it I left open. Never seal around the toilet base. Like 314 said, if you have a leak in the wax ring, you won't know until your floor is rotten.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 12:52 PM   #9

Ok first my credentials, I'm a master plumber and owner of a shop of 20 that specializes in residential service. To all those who say not to caulk a toilet you're wrong sort of lol. We caulk the front and sides leaving the back open to show a leak. The chief reason for caulking a toilet is securing it to the floor. For those who don't know what I'm talking about try pulling a caulked toilet without cutting the caulk joint, it's not going to happen. A caulked toilet is much less likely to loosen and leak cause it's caulked down period!
T bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 12:59 PM   #10

To each their own. I see your point. Some do it, some don't. Your way seems to be kind of in the middle, which I don't disagree with.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:34 AM   #11

I agree about the tub and shower- they are designed to breathe. Regarding the toilet- they don't use a wax-ring like the toilet you find in your home, but rather a rubber gasket. The plumbing is very different. Now, if you have a youngster like me who tends to be a bit messy, caulking around the base of the toilet may lead to easier clean-up, but that is about it IMHO.
Carleen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, shower, sink, toilet