Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-19-2018, 09:53 AM   #21

I use the blocks and have never had a problem except for soft ground (which is rare in my experience). It's actually pretty rare that I need more than one on any given side. And I've never had them "slide around" on me; they've always stayed put even on smooth concrete pads.

Advantages are that they are light, easy to clean, don't take on water, don't attract insects, don't rot (at least not like wood does), stack nicely in a bag.

Disadvantages are the cost, and that they can often sink into soft soil. They actually do "rot" over time when exposed to UV just like any other plastic, but I have yet to break one and my rig can weigh up to about 9500 lbs.

I say use whatever works best for you. I like my blocks, but I'm certainly not above using wood.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:06 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
I just saw those on amazon (2-pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0751TG8MH...XLII5MDJ&psc=1)

They look shorter than the Anderson. I thought they looked like they could be a little unstable. Please report back if you go with them. I am curious to see how well they work.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:18 AM   #23
BCK

I used wood for over 10 years until I decided to try out the Anderson levelers a few years ago and now would never go back. Wood worked fine and neither space or weight has ever been a problem but like so many other things, once you have the right tool for the right job you wonder why you ever put up with doing things other ways for so long.

Like others I still carry some 2x6 for soft ground and badly unlevel sites but only used them once in 3 years.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:54 AM   #24

Wood. Usually scraps. I also seal them with whatever paint or stain I have left over from other "real" jobs around the house.
Swardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:19 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadamn View Post
I just saw those on amazon (2-pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0751TG8MH...XLII5MDJ&psc=1)

They look shorter than the Anderson. I thought they looked like they could be a little unstable. Please report back if you go with them. I am curious to see how well they work.
They look like they might be lighter than the Andersons. Which could be a good thing, or a bad thing. The Andersons are heavy, with a lot of thick plastic. It's really hard to imagine ever breaking them. Certainly, my 26BH will never put a dent in them. The Camcos cost less and look lighter, but I wonder if they have the Anderson durability. Perhaps someone will try them and let us know. Just curious.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:24 PM   #26

I keep my TT in my concrete drive during the season. I used woden 2×8 . When I leveled it with wood the blocks change dimension's. Depending on the weather. Level it in the rain...fine. when the blocks dry out you can pull the vlocks right out and the leveling jacks are just dangling
12ptdroptine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:41 PM   #27

I use both depending on situation. I do use 2 X 8 they sink in soft ground less. I also screw and glue a 3/4 piece of plywood the same size as the wood on each of them. Wood will split but the plywood glued and screwed holds it all together, even split. I also have a loop of rope on them making it easier to pull out from under the jacks. I do have a built up 2X8 with plywood and verticle 2 X 8 for the tongue jack. Our TT sits high and this set up is about 13" tall. I don't like to extend my jack all the way, it seems to wobble when fully extended. I also use thompsons water seal on all my wood . I like the plastic blocks for leveling the tires, when used with the flat caps they allow the tires to be off the ground, water etc to flow and air to circulate.

Being in one spot for 4 to 6 months you also will need to tweet your leveling almost weekly. If it rains one side may settle more than another so you need to relevel to keep doors etc operating properly. Also if your rv gets twisted you will notice it in floor squeeks. If you get it back to flat and level the floor squeeks almost always go away.

Use which over product you want, they both do the job when used properly. I also purchased a few "sets" when Amazon had it's sale a while back. I store the plastic ones in the RV compartment and the wood blocks in the back of my TV. It works for us.

Less than 4 weeks till Pitchers and Catchers report for Spring Training ! Spring and camping season is just around the corner. Plan and enjoy !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:09 PM   #28

I use 2X10s and 2X12s cuz the tread on my tires is 7" wide (2X6s are only 5-1/2" wide) and Its not good to leave part of the tread off the platform.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:57 PM   #29

How are the Andersen levelers for tandem axle trailers? trying to picture how you fit that huge thing in between the wheels for the front axle to back up onto.

The Camco ones look easier in that regard.

I have one spot I'm in twice a year that would be pushing the four inch (or 3.5") height. Maybe need to put the curved levelers onto boards anyway, and once I'm doing that, am I really saving any hassle?
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:42 PM   #30

Use 2x8 scrap from construction sites cut about 12". Have found that a 2x8 will compensate for roughly one bubble on the level. 3/4" treated ply will do 1/2 bubble. Using the right combo does the trick. After backing into the park spot, I check the levels on the front and back of the TT. If more than 2 bubbles I try to move to another site or move forward/backward etc on the site. Treated boards do not absorb water and resist breaking. Cracked a couple on our recent trip so back to the scrap pile to replentish the set.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:03 PM   #31

I love my Andersen leveler.

It did break with a very audible pop but, called Andersen and a replacement was on the way, FREE, no questions other than asked for a picture be emailed.

Love that Andersen customer service!

I also have an Andersen WDH that I way prefer over the old bar style I had before.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote