Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-07-2016, 10:44 AM   #1

Leveling idea?

I always keep boards for leveling my camper, but was wondering(I also carry an air compressor and gauge) if anybody has thought of letting air out of tires to level side to side. I know you have to keep some air in tires so you don't pop the tire off bead/rim. This idea may also let trailer rock more since you couldn't use bal chocks? Without trying I would guess you could lose 2-3 inches, I got this idea after a recent article where a tractor trailer was stuck under a bridge and they let the air out of the tires which gave enough room to drive out. Air suspension on trailers would be a neat addition as well. I work around tractor trailers all the time and they have it.

2012 Ram CC w/Cummins, SRW and 4.10 rears
Looking for a Jayco Eagle 365 BHS
Rmgrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:59 AM   #2

For me, I think it would be unwise to let precious air out of my trailer tires, regardless of whether I have an air compressor or not. For the reasons you'd stated about instability and other problems, wouldn't it be easier to use a mechanical leveler like the Anderson Wedge? Our rig has an auto leveler, but we still carry jack pads--in case any of the jacks runs out of stroke. As far as being stuck under the bridge, I plan to never be stuck under one. Because the damage will be astronomical! I guess it's one of the reasons why we try to plan our routes, using the semi trucker's road Atlas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmgrose View Post
I always keep boards for leveling my camper, but was wondering(I also carry an air compressor and gauge) if anybody has thought of letting air out of tires to level side to side. I know you have to keep some air in tires so you don't pop the tire off bead/rim. This idea may also let trailer rock more since you couldn't use bal chocks? Without trying I would guess you could lose 2-3 inches, I got this idea after a recent article where a tractor trailer was stuck under a bridge and they let the air out of the tires which gave enough room to drive out. Air suspension on trailers would be a neat addition as well. I work around tractor trailers all the time and they have it.

Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:08 AM   #3

Working the sidewalk of the tire like that can't be good for the structural integrity of the tire, I would suggest against it
Levinehikeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:31 AM   #4

Boards, schmoards....Buy a set of Lynx Levelers and you'll be good to go. I've always carried two or three sets and never had issues with leveling. Put em under your jacks, tires, stabilizers etc. They're light weight, stackable and sturdy. I wouldn't ever let air out of my tired for the purpose of leveling.
Itching to travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:33 PM   #5

Letting air out of the tires will eventually destroy them. It's not recommended. Try Andersen Levelers instead. They work great!
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:42 PM   #6

I like ur idea, makes so much sense. I'll keep that in mind. St tires r great for stress n this idea will work nicely. U the men!!!
Touch N Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:56 PM   #7

I would never let air out of the tires to level. Not necessarily because of ill effects on the tire (though those should be considered), but because there are SO many easier ways to accomplish the same goal.

I prefer to use Lynx levelers. They're light, they don't rot (except for UV exposure), they're easy to clean when you're done, they don't carry dirt or insects... And when it's time to deploy, you just drop them on the ground. When it's time to leave, you just pick them up. You don't have to break out the compressor or the hoses or spend a few minutes waiting for the tires to fill with air. You just grab and go; it's too easy not to do it this way IMO.

ETA: If you had an on-board compressor and you just had to push a button, or if you had air suspension and you could just push a button, I might think differently. But the expense to do that is FAR greater than the $25 I paid for my leveling blocks; or the $0 I paid to use scrap dimensional lumber.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:37 PM   #8

I think letting air out of the tires over and over could potentially affect the integrity of the tire's sidewall.....but that's my opinion

if you like the idea of using air..why not use air bags?
Old 04-07-2016, 03:29 PM   #9

Way too easy to toss a Lego under it and your done. Look at the level and if it's off 2 marks just add 2 Lego's it's that easy.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Try Andersen Levelers instead. They work great!
+1

2007 Layton 245LF (sold)

Learn from others mistakes, you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote