Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2011, 10:34 PM   #1

Leveling Jacks

Ok, so my wife really likes the "mansion" i call it.. .the huge thing behind my truck that causes it to use so much fuel... we upgraded from a 25' sports master so this is huge from what i would say is adequate but hey....i am just the man.. so anyway i have a question, maybe some of you other "mansion" pullers have figured out a way to rig up a type of hinge system for the jacks.. I un-bolt them everytime we move because i am sure i will rip them off. I am considering "flipping the axles" as we call it here but I am worried about cross winds and the trailer is already quite tall. We pull it through the mountains quite often. The Jacks just are just too low so i need a good idea to make these more user friendly. (trading the trailer and the wife is not an option!) lol
Old 07-18-2011, 11:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Ok, so my wife really likes the "mansion" i call it.. .the huge thing behind my truck that causes it to use so much fuel... we upgraded from a 25' sports master so this is huge from what i would say is adequate but hey....i am just the man.. so anyway i have a question, maybe some of you other "mansion" pullers have figured out a way to rig up a type of hinge system for the jacks.. I un-bolt them everytime we move because i am sure i will rip them off. I am considering "flipping the axles" as we call it here but I am worried about cross winds and the trailer is already quite tall. We pull it through the mountains quite often. The Jacks just are just too low so i need a good idea to make these more user friendly. (trading the trailer and the wife is not an option!) lol
You unbolt the stabilizer jacks every time you move??? Never heard of that. What model do you have that they are so low?

Tom
altar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:01 AM   #3

I read your sig and figured out that you have a 32 Bunk House. (Duh on me). Well, mines a 31RKS, almost as long as yours. While I have electric jacks, I never worry about scraping them off, they just aren't that low. I'd be more concerned about my sewer connectors.

Tom
altar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:16 AM   #4

I have a 2011 330 RLTS and have electric jacks, never heard of unbolting them? Any pics?:lightning:

1999 F-350 Powerstroke 7.3 crew 4x4 w/ 4.10 gears
rose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:10 AM   #5

I have a 2009 32BHDS. I couldn't imagine the stabilizer jacks dragging w/o doing some serious off-roading with it. I bet there is at least 15" of clearance on the rear stabilizers. If I'm dragging those stabilizers, I've probably already had the trailer in such a bind, that dragging the stabilizers is the least of my concern. I guess I did pull out of one McDonald's truck stop area that may have been close, but probably still had 2" of clearance. That is the closest that I've been.

As tall as this camper already is, I would NOT do an axle flip on it. It is already a pretty tall camper as it sits. I would think you would have your hands full trying to tow this camper with it sitting that tall. I've had a some cross winds with mine make it do a pretty good dance already.
jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #6

I would get a straight line, tie it to the lowest part of the axle tube, pull it to the jacks and level it to see if they hang as low as you think they do....

2011 Jayco Jayflight 22FB
2004 Ford F-150 5.4 Triton, K&N FIPK, Magna-flow muffler
Big Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:13 PM   #7

The stabilizer jacks are not the closest object to the road on my set up and I have the Jayco 32BHDS. My hitch shank hangs lower and I am sure will be the first to contact the pavement or any other object.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:48 PM   #8

I have a 330 rlts with electric jacks and I would never unbolt them. One of the main reasons I got the electric jacks was to cut down on the work while setting up.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:37 PM   #9

yeah it definately seems the electric jacks have more clearance... i have a 32BHDS, 2010 and this model comes with a slide out rack out the back for bikes or what ever... my jacks are bolted to this which makes them about umm 12" off the ground when everything is level... i am not worried about dragging this down the highway but on a trailer this long and you leave a parking lot or any kind of incline or decline the trailer looks like a teeter totter and the back jacks will scrape and probably bend.... what tipped me off was that i pulled it into my shop to level it with my hitch and heard the sreatching when i pulled out.... so i unbolt them everytime i move... I am going to take the back rack off then i have to re-mount the brackets but should get another 4-5 inches back there.. thanks for the input.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:31 AM   #10

Canucker - you should be able to take a string from the bottom of the rear tire to the end of the rear bumper. If your jack stays above the string, you should not drag under normal conditions. If it is below the string, then it is possibly not mounted in the right spot.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:11 PM   #11

Thanks guys, the string is a good idea... i should have tried that and took a pic so you all could see. i have removed the bike rack and moved the jacks about 1' closer to the axles and now i don't see a problem. I bolted them back on and had no problems this past trip... I was really tired of pinching my fingers trying to install and un-install these on every trip... I think i have it fixed now... anybody want to purchase a bike rack? lol
Old 11-17-2011, 11:38 AM   #12

jacks

I have a 2011 22fB Jayco. In the six months I have owned it, I bent and destroyed (scrapped on road while all the way retracted) and replaced both front jacks. Once pulling out of a campsite (probably my fault) and the other time I have no idea where I scraped but it happened on the highway. I am pulling with an F250 with 20 inch wheels and the hitch height was adjusted so the trailer is leve while resting on the ball. I also have weight distribution bars. I noticed that Jayco mounted spacers on the front and mounted the jacks to the spacers. Anyway, I am having the axle flipped in a week (and hitch height adjusted accordingly) to see if that helps with clearance.
The spacers are welded to the frame, I will see if I can get them cut off and the jacks mounted directly to the frame like the rear ones are while it's in the shop

I would say your concern is well founded based on my experience
narcdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:03 PM   #13

I always wonder about the rear jacks and am very careful in driveways. Never even thought about the fronts.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:31 AM   #14

I too have bent and unsurgically removed several stabilizer jacks. Being a boondocker most of my modifications have been the result of uneven ground. The problem with stabilizer jacks is the fact that they do not slide well, they have a tendency to dig in. I have found that moving them a little closer to the wheels helps. I would be very interested in anyone's ideas to hinge them or make them flush with the bottom of the frame
Idaho Spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:10 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Spud View Post
I too have bent and unsurgically removed several stabilizer jacks. Being a boondocker most of my modifications have been the result of uneven ground. The problem with stabilizer jacks is the fact that they do not slide well, they have a tendency to dig in. I have found that moving them a little closer to the wheels helps. I would be very interested in anyone's ideas to hinge them or make them flush with the bottom of the frame
Instead of hinging, moving, or making the jacks flush, why not install skids or castors behind the jacks so the skids or castors can do the dragging instead of the jacks?
Old 11-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #16

If I did want to remove my jacks for clearance everytime, I would probably just weld on some angle iron to the frame. Just weld in some small angle iron to create slide in brackets. Slide the jack in place and put it down. You would not need to bolt them in everytime. There just bolted in for travel.
Added Bedroom light switch and outlet https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=7582
dlfeather is offline   Reply With Quote