Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2016, 11:50 PM   #1

Leveling my TT

Greetings fellow Jayco owners.

I am on a search which seems futile, for a way to level my 24 FBS quickly and efficiently. I'm not just lazy I am disabled and have to do something lest I am forced to sell my trailer. The process of leveling is hard because my disabilities doesn't allow easy movement in and out of my vehicle, bending over to place my Lynx Levelers, etc. etc. very easily. So, I thought of something I was hoping to get some opinions on. I have found a combination jack/ jack stand made by Alltrade. On my 24FBS the wheels are off center to the rear. My thought was to use the jack/ jack stand on the frame just in front of the wheels (which would be near the center of the TT) to lift up the trailer to level. I am pretty sure I would only have to lift it a few inches. It seems to me most RV sites are pretty level already.

Any opinions would be appreciated!
bobthesuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:10 AM   #2

Look up these Anderson levellers on you tube they might be just the ticket.

https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-Mfg-.../dp/B001GC2LVM

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2016, 04:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by certified106 View Post
Look up these Anderson levellers on you tube they might be just the ticket.

https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-Mfg-.../dp/B001GC2LVM

Definitely the fastest and easiest method of leveling a trailer...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:03 AM   #4

If budget is not an issue, then why not get a power leveling system? Could cost a few thousand though.

Sell = upgrade/change models?
Might be better to just upgrade to one that serves your needs instead.
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:01 AM   #5

I got my husband the Andersen Camper Levelers mentioned above and he loves them!
Moon8211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:15 AM   #6

Thank you for the suggestions. I have seen the Anderson levelers but I worry about how hard it would be for my Expedition to push the trailer "up" the levelers the required distance. Moon8211was your husband concerned about that at first? I am probably paranoid and overly concerned but I can't help it :-)

Does anyone have any thoughts on the jack idea?
Old 08-11-2016, 08:17 AM   #7

If your expedition can pull the camper it can level it.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:17 AM   #8

Thank you, but your right the cost is an issue. Unfortunately upgrading is not in the cads for me either.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:20 AM   #9

leveling

If you are talking side to side, then yes the Anderson levelers are the way to go. If you are talking front to back use the tongue jack and after you are level front to back then drop the landing gear (stabilizers). This is what I use to see that I am level.
Attached Thumbnails
26173n1.jpg  
US Army
VN.71-72
RickAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:21 AM   #10

I understand what you're saying and you are right. My concern is when it back up with my TT I have to jump a curb at home. Although I put a couple of boards down it seems as though my engine and transmission work pretty hard just to do that. Since my TT is dual axle I would have to use two, do you think it would make it twice as hard?
Old 08-11-2016, 08:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthesuper View Post
Greetings fellow Jayco owners.

I am on a search which seems futile, for a way to level my 24 FBS quickly and efficiently. I'm not just lazy I am disabled and have to do something lest I am forced to sell my trailer. The process of leveling is hard because my disabilities doesn't allow easy movement in and out of my vehicle, bending over to place my Lynx Levelers, etc. etc. very easily. So, I thought of something I was hoping to get some opinions on. I have found a combination jack/ jack stand made by Alltrade. On my 24FBS the wheels are off center to the rear. My thought was to use the jack/ jack stand on the frame just in front of the wheels (which would be near the center of the TT) to lift up the trailer to level. I am pretty sure I would only have to lift it a few inches. It seems to me most RV sites are pretty level already.

Any opinions would be appreciated!
Well, opinions are like noses: Everyone has one.

However, my opinion is that the Andersen levelers may be the best thing going, even though I don't have them. They were a bit too much for my budget, but I did pick up something similar from CW that works for me:

Slant Levelers, Set of 2 - Cp Technologies Company RKCW819004 - Chocks & Levelers - Camping World

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:35 AM   #12

Quote:
I understand what you're saying and you are right. My concern is when it back up with my TT I have to jump a curb at home. Although I put a couple of boards down it seems as though my engine and transmission work pretty hard just to do that. Since my TT is dual axle I would have to use two, do you think it would make it twice as hard?
I also recommend the Anderson system if power isn't an option. With your situation, I would think you could put a large leveler like for a 5th wheel on the drivers side of the camper you could see out the mirror, get out 1 time, put the anderson's down, adjust it with the large level you could see from your side mirror and that would be it.

When you back up onto the levelers with your expedition, its really not much different than going up a hill on a city street or even perhaps a slightly inclined entry into a driveway, it doesn't have to overcome anything the size of a curb. The tire starts at 0" and only raises to 4" after traveling a little over a foot. You can also drive forward onto them, which your Expedition will have a lower gear for.

In case you haven't seen it, this video shows what you will have to do. Definitely no "hopping" onto the levelers.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:37 AM   #13

It's the same force required .... just pushing on both axles.

Quote:

2010 Ford F-250 XLT (traded)
2013 Keystone Laredo 294RK (traded)
ArcticFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:48 AM   #14
BJR

We have the Anderson levelers and also recommend them for easy levelling. The only time I've had an issue is at home or in mud where they slide in front of the wheel. You don't have to use two - we use one if it's close to level. (But you only get half the lift.)

Have you also considered booking at accessible sites? Not sure the requirements but at least at the PA state parks the sites are paved for wheelchair or scooters. I imagine that as a side benefit they're pretty level already.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:28 AM   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
I use some 10T scissor jacks from a 90's Chevy truck between the axles. Welded a 3/4 nut on it so the socket from the other levelers will work on them. And always carry a 5 ft and 4 ft. 2 x 6 board. TT is always rock solid.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:42 AM   #16

We use the Anderson levelers and just love them. They are so much easier than using those lego blocks.
tnmcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:51 AM   #17

Another vote for the Anderson. I have a bubble level on the trailer that I can see in my rear view. I get out, put the Anderson down (I only have one axle) and then back up or pull forward depending on how I want to chock it. Then it's just a matter of leveling front to back. If you've got a power jack that will make it all that much easier.

We camp with a group of people on the 4th and after watching me level my trailer they all went out and bought Andersons. Two of them were retired engineers.

TV: 2011 Nissan Xterra Pro4x
TT: 2016 174BH Baja Edition
schmittychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:52 AM   #18

Thanks ALJO.

That sounds more of what I was hoping for. I'm a novice though, would you mind giving me a little more detail? When you say between the axles you still mean on the frame right? Mine is a drop axle I think it's called, so I have a hanger for the leaf springs in the middle of my axles. Also where do you use the blocks of wood?
Old 08-11-2016, 10:37 AM   #19

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Usual for short stays I drive on one or two boards as you only have to level one side of the TT. For longer stays I still drive on the boards which I tapered to drive on easily. After satisfying being level I install the scissor jacks between the axles but this also can be done in front (or back) of the axle. After the jacks level side to side I level front to back with the Power TJ and when level I extend the stabilizers on the front and back on some woodblocks (plastic will work too). The TT doesn't rock and bounce as those scissor jacks have a wide foot. Those scissor Jacks I use also for storing the TT to keep the tires just of the boards with the stabilizers. During off season I still use the TT for extra company to sleep in.

In your case you might need extra blocks under the Scissor Jacks as the leaf spring setup is higher. I always have been using wood for blocking the last 50 years because it is cheap and not as slippery as plastic.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:52 AM   #20

Ok, I understand. Have you ever leveled up with just the jack?