Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-19-2010, 09:47 PM   #11

Thanks Monk ! Will definitely keep an eye on that. I've used my hands to further examine the floor and it's not soft or spongie.
I've called the dealer and they are going to make a service call next week to the TT and will check out the drip, WH, and stabilizers.

More to follow !!

Old 08-02-2010, 10:01 PM   #12

Going to have a CampGround neighbor pull the trailer out this saturday so we can stick some wood under the street-side to help level it.

Was considering using a 2x6 treated, then some 1x6 (treated) to bring it up to near level.
Not sure how much I need, so going to attempt a few pull-outs and backups to get-r-there.

Hopefully this will get us close enough to use the stabilizers to minimize shake.
Also looking into some tandem wheel chocks on both sides.
Can anyone recommend a particular type ?
Bal makes some nice ones, and there are a others out there with widely varying prices ($30 to $90) and construction (plastic/metal).

Old 08-03-2010, 06:19 AM   #13

A friend has these http://tweetys.com/wheelstops.aspx, they work very well and the price is right.
hammerdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:23 AM   #14

Thanks hammer !
Those are exactly what the guy has that is helping me Saturday. He recommended them too.

Thanks for the link !
Old 08-04-2010, 05:49 PM   #15

Ive browsed around some forums, and a google or two later, I think that (for the most part) RVers use presure treated wood under the tires for a side-to-side level. But most are towing, and thats "not" my situation. I read a post from a seasonal camper inquiring about the same thing and most responses were "wood". For Example(all treated wood)

Two 2x8s (one cut to 6ft., one cut to 5ft) with some 1x6s for extreme situations.
Also some are using 2x6s w/ 1x6s cut at various lengths to attain "level".

I believe, or hope to go with, the two 2x8s cut at lengths of 6ft, and 5ft., with both meeting at the end. This allows for a "step" effect while attempting to acheive "level" when backing the Jayco onto them.
I may even throw a 1x6 under the "low" side to get the tires off the ground.
This is a total gain of close to 3" on the street(driver) side. We'll see if thats enough, and I hope it is. The bubble in the side-to-side level is not visible because of the tilt to the street side. I hope to get it as close to "ball-park" as I can.
Im also considering attaching both boards together with screws so the top board wont spring up when the wheels attempt to climb it.
Get'n this done on Saturday, so wish me luck, and I'll try to post results via my iPhone from the camp site.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:34 PM   #16

I have used 2X8 and 2X10 treated lumber to make leveling easier when one side of the trailer parking pad is significantly higher than the other. I have stacked as many as three boards on top of one another to raise the low side of the trailer 5.25 inches (the nominal height of a 2 inch board is 1.75 inches, not 2 inches--don't ask me why).

The bottom board is six feet long, the middle board is five feet long and the top board is 4 feet long. I used a circular saw to cut the boards to the proper length; and I set the base plate on the circular saw to a 45 degree angle when making the cuts so each board ended up with tapered ends.

I also have a set of LYNX plastic leveling blocks that I use when there is only a small variation in the level of the trailer parking pad. They are light but strong and they hook together to form an inclined ramp.

Once you have raised the trailer several inches on one side you will need some 2X6 or larger wooden blocks to put under the scissor jacks. I usually carry 9 of these blocks so that I can put one or more under each jack and under the front tongue jack. I put two or more on the side that has been raised the most.

Good luck on your project.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:24 PM   #17

Thanks Sam !

Ive picked up some solid concrete blocks for the tongue and sissor jacks. I think they weight in at about 80lbs each.
I was think'n I needed to pick up a new circular saw blade to cut those 45deg leaders on the stacked boards.
So, your using 8" and 10" wide boards? I must be underestimating the needed width, but perhaps its easier when pulling into a site. My situation is pulling the Jayco straight out 6' or so, then reversing the procedure. Not complicated at all.
I need to pick up the lumber before I head out on Friday.