Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2015, 02:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottraycraft View Post
sleeping in a trailer that is not level can cause back and neck pain...
not to mention its bad for the fridge...

I always block the tires on the low side...
Truth. I'm always WELL within specs for the fridge, and my own sleeping comfort. You also don't want to sleep with your head "downhill", you'll get a nasty headache. So I usually run the nose just a little high, still in the bubble, but just off to one side a little. If I have it just right, I can get the AC condensation to run off the streetside rear of the roof which is nice sometimes. If I'm perfectly level and stabilized, then run the slide out, it tends run off the streetside front, which ain't half bad either.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:06 PM   #12

I do slides out then level,i find it easier than just trying to guess 1 block or 2 blocks to compensate for the slides.Both my slides are on the same side,and on a few occasions that side was high and I had to put lynx block on other side.It doesn't hurt the trailer to pull forward 6" onto the leveling blocks.

2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 314BHDS

IBEW local 94 Electrical Worker
314BHDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:30 PM   #13

I've always blocked under both weeks, and with opposing slides, don't have to worry about one pulling me off balance.

Not sure what TT the OP has, nor if it makes a difference, but with wide-stance axles you may have to use blocks under both wheels.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 314BHDS View Post
I do slides out then level,i find it easier than just trying to guess 1 block or 2 blocks to compensate for the slides.Both my slides are on the same side,and on a few occasions that side was high and I had to put lynx block on other side.It doesn't hurt the trailer to pull forward 6" onto the leveling blocks.
This is totally your call, but I would not recommend this procedure. In order to put blocks or leveling links beneath the tires, you must move the trailer forward and backward to pull up on top of them. Moving the trailer with the slides out is not recommended by Jayco, due to stresses it could induce on the slide mechanism(s).

That aside, my left side (not door side) slide is over the wheels, so I'd have to crawl beneath it to put levelers down.

And I sometimes have to move the trailer forward and rearward 2-3 times in order to get it leveled right. My procedure is as follows (after using my circuit protector to determine if the electrical hookup is good):

1. Level trailer side-to-side with leveling blocks
2. Put the BAL locking chocks between the wheels (or use wheel chocks)
3. Disconnect trailer from truck
4. Use the tongue jack to level front-to-rear
5. Put the stabilizer jacks down, firmly, to prevent further leaning
6. Move the slideouts into position

If the stabilizers are put down, firmly, they should prevent leaning when the slideout is extended. That was my experience with my Outback. But my Jayco has two slideouts - one on each side.

Just my experienced opinion.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:46 PM   #15

How to Level

I'm a new owner of my first TT and have been reading about leveling, side to side. So far I've been out twice and have had level sites. I've seen leveling blocks in a couple of retail stores and wonder if that would be a good investment for me. Also, how do you go about using them?

Thanks, in advance, for your input.
rmsorcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsorcy View Post
I'm a new owner of my first TT and have been reading about leveling, side to side. So far I've been out twice and have had level sites. I've seen leveling blocks in a couple of retail stores and wonder if that would be a good investment for me. Also, how do you go about using them?

Personally, I'd head to the shop and grab some scrap 2x. If not, the big box stores usually have scrap lumber in a bin for a few bucks. I'd spend the least amount of money possible.
KiltDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutr2 View Post
That was my experience with my Outback. But my Jayco has two slideouts - one on each side.

Just my experienced opinion.
Scoutr....were you an OUTBACKER by chance? (outbackers.com)

-2004 Nissan Titan w/Equal-i-zer hitch
-2014 Jayco White Hawk 24 RBS
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsorcy View Post

The first step would be to have a level handy when you go camping. Sites may look level, but may not be.

You'll get different opinions regarding wooden level blocks vs plastic ones you've seen. Each has its pros and cons. I use 2x8 wood lumber because I'm frugal (ie cheap).

In general, you put blocks in front or behind the tires on the trailer's low side. Then you pull the trailer up onto the blocks and check for side-to-side level again. If the same side is still low, you pull off the blocks, add another level of blocks, and pull back onto the blocks, and check level again.

When you are satisfied that the trailer is level enough from side-to-side, chock the tires, and disconnect. Then you can level the trailer from front to rear and extend the stabilizers.

That's it in a nutshell. If you'd like more specific info, just ask.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:29 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDJollyMon View Post
Scoutr....were you an OUTBACKER by chance? (outbackers.com)
Yes, I was. Well, still have an account there. And I leave Saturday to visit Wolfwood to see Judi and Kathy!

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:59 AM   #20

http://youtu.be/b4JQV15VzBc

I use these, works very well. you can buy them on Amazon. little pricey but worth it.

if the link is broken just search for Anderson Auto Leveler