Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #1

Leveling Truck/Trailer for Towing

I recently purchased a new truck - 2012 Silverado 2500 Quad Cab 4X4 Duramax. I adjusted the WD hitch to try to level the trailer. I had to lower the shank two holes to get the trailer as close as I could to level. When all was said and done, the trailer was 1" lower in the front than in the back. Is this acceptable? I have not tried raising the shank one hole because I think that if I did so, the trailer would end up 1 inch higher in front than the back. I might try it this weekend just to confirm this, but if you guys think that a 1" difference (being lower in the front) is acceptable then I will leave it. I did have the water tank full and gear in the trailer when I measured. Thanks.
ddrueckh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:08 PM   #2

I have a Ram 2500 same issue, tows fine. How many links in the spring bars are hanging? I have a Eagle 322FKS with a tongue weight of 1200# so I have 3 links hanging, 4th link is in the snap up bracket. You will love towing the diesel. Did you get the intragrated brake control, Built in controller makes a huge difference. Happy Camping

2011 Ram 6.7 Diesel
2010 Eagle 322FKS
Columbus Oh
buckeyejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #3

The first step (and this is normally posted in the owners manual - give or take a few words) start with the trailer on level ground. Then make sure that the trailer is level (front to back). Measure the trailer ball mount height (without being connected to the TV) Then connect trailer to the TV. The ball height of the trailer should not be higher when connected to your TV.
Mine came for the dealer about 1 1/2" higher AFTER connecting to the TV and no matter where I had the springs it towed like cr*p. I purchased a longer drop shank and dropped the "after" measurement to about an inch lower than the unmounted height and it tows great!

2000 10' popup
2000 30' with triple bunks.
2011 25BHS
2016 34RSBS
Type-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #4

buckeyejim,

I have 5 links hanging...the 6th is in the snap up bracket. I normally just say I have 6 links...

I do have the integrated brake controller and the exhaust brake comes standard on all the Diesels...I can't wait to get going!

Type-A,

I am 1" lower in the fron than the back. I do know that you are supposed to keep the front lower than the back, I just wanted to make sure this wasn't too low/out of level. I think it will be fine.

Dave
ddrueckh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #5

I don't think an inch low in front is a problem. You could get some air bags and take care of that inch if it bothers you.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:50 AM   #6

My Jay flight manual says that you don't want it level. You should have the front dip just a little. This increases the wind down force on the trailer. If its level than there is no down force of wind. Kind of like a spoiler on the back of a race car.
So I think you have the ideal set up with it dropped 1" in the front.
Jayflight Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:22 AM   #7

IMHO, 1 inch lower in front is definitely better than 1 inch nose high, from a towing stability standpoint.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote