Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-11-2015, 10:36 AM   #1

Leveling with Slides in or out

Hi,

I came across a video that suggests the slides should be opened out when levelling the trailer. This is first time I have heard this said. His theory is that you will throw the level out once you open the slides because of the weight displacement. Seems to make sense; but like I said; first time I have heard this. What are you folks doing?

Bill
wbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:58 AM   #2

Level, then put slides out. Depending on the ground or how long I am going to be at the spot, I sometimes put an extra piece of wood under the tires on the side with the slides as it sometimes will start to tilt that way after half a day or a full day. The extra piece of wood will tilt me the opposite way at first, but then everything settles and we are level.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:59 AM   #3

In my opinion, with slides closed. I try to have the slide side raised about 1" above level, and it seems to come down a little with slide out. Slides out of level can create a problem going out in a real bind.
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:01 AM   #4

Jayco's manual cleary states to ensure the unit is level before operating the slides which makes sense. The unit being unlevel could put extra stress on the slide mechanisms. Once the unit is level and the stablizing jacks are down I can't see it changing from the slides going out. Just my .02
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:20 AM   #5

Depends on slide size and weight. Mine is large and heavy, and after re leveling a few times, I found it simpler just to put an extra inch, and let it do its thing.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:39 AM   #6

slides in.
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:00 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbarnes View Post
Hi,
I came across a video that suggests the slides should be opened out when levelling the trailer. What are you folks doing?
If you ask JAYCO the answer is no, you do not level the TT with the slide(s) out.

I approached the ongoing problem of leveling (with slide-out not EXTENDED), re-leveling.. re-leveling... and stopping when it got close. DW hates when the bathroom door does not stay open, because the TT is not perfectly level. Here is my method, works 100% of the time (so far).

How to compensate for the 1-3 degrees the slide adds by adding the difference in the permanently mounted bubble level, without the slide being extended.

Before going camping the next time:
1 - Find a level section of ground (for leveling the curb/street side of the TT). I lucked out as where my TT sits next to the house it is perfectly level with the slide extended. I used a 4' carpenters level placed on the floor in front of the fridge (which is right next to the bathroom swinging door).

2 - Remove the sway bars.... (they will alter the height of one side of the TT)

3 - With the SLIDE in the EXTENDED position, take the necessary steps to level the TT as close to perfect as possible. The difference on our TT is about 3 degrees between the slide being in/out.

4 - Once the TT is level with the slide-EXTENDED, put the slide-out back in. Take a small RV bubble level (usually they have a self stick on the back and is sold at Walmart) and mount it on the front of the TT or in my case the metal angle bracket that holds the battery box in place on the tongue. Mount the bubble level (with slide-in) so that it shows perfectly level. This compensates for the 1-3 degrees that the slide-out alters the TT's level. Just remember that when you are finished and the slide is EXTENDED the bubble will not show the TT as being level, but it is.

In reality when you level the TT (with slide-in) using the bubble you mounted, you are automatically compensating for the drop that the slide- out causes.

After this enhancement you just level the TT with the slide in and when you extend the slide, it will be level.

It works for me.... DW is happy no more swinging door.

Just my thoughts,

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:16 PM   #8

Be it known also, should you have a Lippart system, they state to have the unit level prior to extending slide, and to always store unit with slide closed.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
If you ask JAYCO the answer is no, you do not level the TT with the slide(s) out.

I approached the ongoing problem of leveling (with slide-out not EXTENDED), re-leveling.. re-leveling... and stopping when it got close. DW hates when the bathroom door does not stay open, because the TT is not perfectly level. Here is my method, works 100% of the time (so far).

How to compensate for the 1-3 degrees the slide adds by adding the difference in the permanently mounted bubble level, without the slide being extended.

Before going camping the next time:
1 - Find a level section of ground (for leveling the curb/street side of the TT). I lucked out as where my TT sits next to the house it is perfectly level with the slide extended. I used a 4' carpenters level placed on the floor in front of the fridge (which is right next to the bathroom swinging door).

2 - Remove the sway bars.... (they will alter the height of one side of the TT)

3 - With the SLIDE in the EXTENDED position, take the necessary steps to level the TT as close to perfect as possible. The difference on our TT is about 3 degrees between the slide being in/out.

4 - Once the TT is level with the slide-EXTENDED, put the slide-out back in. Take a small RV bubble level (usually they have a self stick on the back and is sold at Walmart) and mount it on the front of the TT or in my case the metal angle bracket that holds the battery box in place on the tongue. Mount the bubble level (with slide-in) so that it shows perfectly level. This compensates for the 1-3 degrees that the slide-out alters the TT's level. Just remember that when you are finished and the slide is EXTENDED the bubble will not show the TT as being level, but it is.

In reality when you level the TT (with slide-in) using the bubble you mounted, you are automatically compensating for the drop that the slide- out causes.

After this enhancement you just level the TT with the slide in and when you extend the slide, it will be level.

It works for me.... DW is happy no more swinging door.

Just my thoughts,

Don
+1 on this method, but I haven't done it yet.

Instead, I just level with slide IN, then stabilize, THEN run the slide out. Between the factory stabilizers and the extra stab jacks I put in front of the axles, TT doesn't move when I run the slide out, at least not enough for me to care.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 01:29 PM   #10

My leveling requires me to drive onto raising blocks, and I wouldn't want to move the unit once the slide(s) are out. I think those who have learned from prior experience to add an extra block (or two) may be on the right track.

In my case I have two opposing slides, quite similar in size. I guess they counteract each other.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:08 PM   #11

Slide stabilizers?

Very interesting conversation.

I can see the logical side to leveling with the slide out, but like others have said, I level prior to moving the slide going out. I also use leveling blocks,when the site is more than half a bubble off center circle. less then that causes me to chase the perfect level and wastes a lot of time. I get no door swings, when this close.

My question is for those who are concerns about the slide(s) making you un-level, why not just use slide stabilizers? That would take the pressure off the slide and better support the weight of the dinnete, couch, people, and storage.

My unit (WH 25BHS) is too small to make a difference, but those who are 30+ feet, then I would see it affecting your unit more.

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Take care.
Hybridcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:07 PM   #12

mine would change a little even with stabilizers down so this year I mounted 2 scissors jacks in front of the axles with stabilizer bars attached ... that way if when the slides go out it is off a little I can compensate with the jacks then re adjust the stabilizers front and rear ... going next weekend I will tell you if it works but I level with the slides in
Old 04-11-2015, 06:35 PM   #13

Slide stabilizers -- I utilize my TT (and have utilized my past ones) through a lot. I boondock camp often during hunting season. That is not to say, I treat my rigs rough. I am very meticulous about the before, during and after care. Slide stabilizers work great to stabilize the slide area when its out. They also compensate for the slight leveling issue they sometimes cause. Most can be had for less than $100.00, and since they stabilize and support the slide when its out, that means less wear on the tracks when extended.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:21 PM   #14

I just took my trailer to campsite for a 30 day work adventure,the sites are 3/4 stone and are fairly level but there is dips in spots. I got my trailer where I wanted it and was low on passenger side,opened up my slides now I was half in the level and half out.Put one block under rear tire that was a little lower and perfectly level.I don't see what the big deal is putting your slides out first then finding your level.At the most you are gonna be moving 6"to pull onto a leveling pad to get where you need to be,and your gonna be doing it slow so you don't over shoot the leveling block.I can see where people think it gonna damage the slide mechanism,i did it with slides in my first trip and old timer told me about the slides out trick and it's worked fine for me.

2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 314BHDS

IBEW local 94 Electrical Worker
314BHDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:28 PM   #15

Thanks for starting this thread, Bill. I saw that same video and was going to start extending the slide then leveling until I read these responses. I'll stick with leveling then extending.

Ken

2015 White Hawk 25BHS w/Outdoor Kitchen
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD Z71 4x4 Duramax
1985 Coleman Sequoia Tent Trailer
AKGperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:41 AM   #16

I level mine with the slide in but fudge a little on the non slide side so when I open the slide if it moves that way I'm still good. Once I get it leveled I put the stabilizers down and open both slides. I usually check the stabilizers once a day to make sure they are still tight against the ground. even on a concrete slab they sometimes need adjusting.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:13 AM   #17

I like your slogan, Joe. May I suggest a shortened version?

"Born Once - Die Twice"
"Born Twice - Die Once"

Ken

2015 White Hawk 25BHS w/Outdoor Kitchen
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD Z71 4x4 Duramax
1985 Coleman Sequoia Tent Trailer
AKGperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:31 PM   #18

I level with the slide in, that way when the slide is out is will be SLIGHTLY lower on that side. I prefer it that way ,when it rains the water will run away from the slide seal, thus less chance of a leak.
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:56 PM   #19

I level with slides in. In our trailer it doesn't make a difference cause we have slides across from each other. Even with the old trailer we had I would level it first.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:20 PM   #20

slide in...