Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-01-2020, 06:07 AM   #1

Li Ion Battery Modifications?

Folks
I’ve bought a pair of Battle Born Li-Ion 100AH (model BB10012 LiFePO4 ) batteries for my TT, a 2019 White hawk R27B.

Has anyone else installed these batteries in a similar TT and if so did you need to make any electrical modifications ie for charging etc.? My tow vehicle is an F150 with towing package and I am expecting charging of the batteries while towing as well as when I’m plugged into campsite power.

Note: Battle Born website says they can be just dropped in place of an RV lead acid but hearing of fellow RV’ers experiences would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

PS eventually moving toward solar and decided to start with batteries.
BeGin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 07:00 AM   #2

I'm not an expert, but do the Lithium batteries need special charger? I know the Progressive Dynamics converter/charger replacement for the original WFCO converter/charger in my J flight 23RB came with a little switch I was supposed to flip if I replaced my current lead acid battery for the LI-Ion batteries.

Don't know if that was marketing hype or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeGin View Post
Folks
I’ve bought a pair of Battle Born Li-Ion 100AH (model BB10012 LiFePO4 ) batteries for my TT, a 2019 White hawk R27B.

Has anyone else installed these batteries in a similar TT and if so did you need to make any electrical modifications ie for charging etc.? My tow vehicle is an F150 with towing package and I am expecting charging of the batteries while towing as well as when I’m plugged into campsite power.

Note: Battle Born website says they can be just dropped in place of an RV lead acid but hearing of fellow RV’ers experiences would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

PS eventually moving toward solar and decided to start with batteries.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 07:53 AM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Those are LiFePO4, not Li-ion. I use them for e-bikes. You cannot store those fully charged for an extended period of time. You must remove 10-15% of it's charge when storing.
Question; Why would you go this route? The main advantage is weight savings, but at a super high cost.Another advantage is that they deliver very high current, but that is definitely not needed for camping. Curious why you didn't go with dual 6-volt lead-acid especially in a travel trailer.
If you have any questions about batteries, go to Battery Experts in Pickering and speak to my Buddy Phil. He's the "go-to" guy in this area.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:00 AM   #4

I replaced my 3 12volt AGM batteries with 1 12volt Battle Born last summer in my 5er. After talking with Battle Born, the 1 battery will run my residential fridge all day long driving down the road. We don't go off grid and always stay where power & water are available. I also called progressive dynamics (this is the converter/charger I have in my rig) and they advised that my unit will charge the Battle Born battery, but I have to push the boost button to give the battery it's full charge. I also have a lithium specific charger on the battery while in storage. No problems for me so far. Just check to make sure your charger/converter are compatible.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:27 AM   #5

Danno
Right sorry for misleading subject heading (if I knew how to update it I would ) . Thanks for the tip about Battery Experts.

As to why,
- my final goal is to be boondocking on solar and I started with battery storage. I’ll add components as time and money comes.
- Battle Born is highly rated, on this site and others, both for quality and support.
- I also don’t want to be bothered with battery maintenance
Old 02-01-2020, 09:30 AM   #6

Bokemdanno
Good to hear you are not having problems.
My owners manual has no info on the model of converter/charger hence the posting on this site requesting experience with similar TTs. My trailer is in a storage yard for the winter so I have no access to check model etc. I’ve emailed Jayco re converter/charger model info but was hoping for a quicker answer here ie confirmation that plug’n’play works ok.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Bokemdanno
Good to hear you are not having problems.
My owners manual has no info on the model of converter/charger hence the posting on this site requesting experience with similar TTs. My trailer is in a storage yard for the winter so I have no access to check model etc. I’ve emailed Jayco re converter/charger model info but was hoping for a quicker answer here ie confirmation that plug’n’play works ok.
Once you figure out which converter/charger model you have check Battleborn's charger compatibility page located here:

Battleborn Charger Compatibility Table
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:45 AM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Danno

As to why,
- my final goal is to be boondocking on solar and I started with battery storage. I’ll add components as time and money comes.
- Battle Born is highly rated, on this site and others, both for quality and support.
- I also don’t want to be bothered with battery maintenance
OK, gotcha !
95% of our camping is boondocking, mostly at Mosport.
FWIW, I use a 100 watt solar panel and dual 6 volt lead acid batteries and has worked great for the past few years. We use a small genny for making toast, coffee and microwave. I have a separate 80 watt panel, inverter and charger for my E-bike.
Have fun this summer !
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:18 AM   #9

Batteries are now installed with PD charger

Folks
Thanks for all your input. I’ve installed the batteries in an aluminum box mounted on the A-frame. I’ve also replaced the converter part of the PD4045 with the LI charger (PD4045LICSV) so this part is done. Next step is inverter and external disconnect switch so the inverter output won’t loop back to the batteries. Solar panels are still in the future.
B

Tags
batteries, charging, electrical, li ion, white hawk