Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-06-2016, 04:15 PM   #1

Light Fixture Removal

Does anyone know the trick to removing the led lights in the kitchen of a 29RKS? I have unscrewed the lenses and removed the screws attaching the oval wood base to the ceiling but the fixtures are being held in the ceiling with some kind of captive method. First 1 led then the other has quit and I suspect it is a bad connection in the wiring. I'm thinking there may be a special tool used to release something but I can't figure it out! Thanks is advance!!

Rick56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:46 PM   #2

Halogen Lens

Slide a kitchen knife in between the glass lens and the mount and twist it and the lens will pop off. Remember it's glass. For some reason those type halogen bulbs wiggle around in transit. Be sure not to handle the bulbs with your fingers, or if you do, wipe them off with rubbing alcohol. I'll bet there's nothing the matter with your bulbs that a little wiggling around won't fix.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:12 PM   #3

Thanks Roy but these are the newer LED lights, not bulbs. The lenses unscrew from the fixtures which I had no problem doing.
I need to remove the entire fixture from the ceiling.
Rick56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:08 PM   #4

Sorry Rick. They just looked like the same lights in my 2014 33RLDS
Old 05-06-2016, 09:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick56 View Post
Does anyone know the trick to removing the led lights in the kitchen of a 29RKS? I have unscrewed the lenses and removed the screws attaching the oval wood base to the ceiling but the fixtures are being held in the ceiling with some kind of captive method. First 1 led then the other has quit and I suspect it is a bad connection in the wiring. I'm thinking there may be a special tool used to release something but I can't figure it out! Thanks is advance!!

You have to pull the entire fixture pretty hard. It's held in by two spring levers and it definitely feels like it shouldn't come out, but it does. My understanding from my dealer is that the LED's are not replaceable although I haven't really looked into that.
Northern Odie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:55 PM   #6

Rick56, were you able to replace those lights? I have the same problem in my 2014 32 BHDS. 1 light over the kitchen and one over the dining table are currently dead.

I dread asking the dealer the cost on new ones.
Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:14 PM   #7

I have the same issue, with the same lights, on my 2015 27RLS. One over the kitchen is dim and one over the dinette is dim. Figures the hardest light to remove would be the one that goes bad.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:45 AM   #8

Let's see a pic of the LED board. If it's similar to the over sink light, you can easily source a new LED board, but wire cutting/splicing is necessary to reinstall. These "10,000 hour" lights only have that longevity when open to the atmosphere. When they are packed in these fixtures, they actually heat up just enough to burn out.

Or the other root cause is a cold solder joint that works itself to an open short overtime due to movement.

Craig Bailey
New England
2007 Chevy 2500HD crew
2015 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote