Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-28-2021, 08:06 AM   #1

Lippert Door Weatherseal - Poor Installation

We have had two leaks/water puddling near our door. It hasn't happened every rain, but we noticed it was in a wind driven rain when the wind was blowing against the entry door. I removed the screen door and closed the main door to check the seal against the door frame. Sure enough around every hinge area there was huge gaps. Turns out the hinges were applied OVER the weatherstripping and smashed it down flat so when the door is closed there is nothing to press against the door frame and seal out wind and weather. A quick trip to Lowes and some RV/Marine/Auto weathestripping and I seal it up myself. That night a storm with strong wind/rain came thru and I checked the next morning and everything was DRY!!

You might check yours also. Open the entry door and look at where the hinges are attached to the entry door. If the hinges are smashing your seal, you might want to fix it.

This was another fine Lippert engineered product that made absolutely ZERO sense in how it was done. The words RV Engineer makes my skin crawl!!
Roosevelt008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:13 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosevelt008 View Post
We have had two leaks/water puddling near our door. It hasn't happened every rain, but we noticed it was in a wind driven rain when the wind was blowing against the entry door. I removed the screen door and closed the main door to check the seal against the door frame. Sure enough around every hinge area there was huge gaps. Turns out the hinges were applied OVER the weatherstripping and smashed it down flat so when the door is closed there is nothing to press against the door frame and seal out wind and weather. A quick trip to Lowes and some RV/Marine/Auto weathestripping and I seal it up myself. That night a storm with strong wind/rain came thru and I checked the next morning and everything was DRY!!

You might check yours also. Open the entry door and look at where the hinges are attached to the entry door. If the hinges are smashing your seal, you might want to fix it.

This was another fine Lippert engineered product that made absolutely ZERO sense in how it was done. The words RV Engineer makes my skin crawl!!
If you are talking about just the screen door hinge pushing on the seal, been that way for decades.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:29 AM   #3

Thanks for the insight!

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:47 PM   #4

For clarification, I am talking about the main entry door hinges applied over the weatherseal. Yes, the screen door also shuts over the seal, but the main problem is the main entry door hinges.
Old 06-28-2021, 02:42 PM   #5

I guess buying USA made doesn't necessarily mean quality. I bought a set of Solid Steps from Lippert and when I received them the box was cheap crap so consequently the steps had dings in side rails and one step was gouged and the backing plate and attaching hardware was missing. So I contacted them last week with pictures and they want more info and still no action. I understand shipping Items can some times be risky but you can rip the box with your hands.
corv65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 09:14 AM   #6

I emailed Lippert and made them aware of the poor installation with the hinges/weatherstripping. It could be a Jayco issue too but either way it needs to be addressed. If quality was paramount in this industry (which it is not) these forums would be pretty quiet and empty.